Battery Manager prevents charging.

JasonC

Reaction score
I have a Droid 2 Global, rooted, 2.4.330.

I noticed that sometimes, when I plug the phone into the charger, it does not charge. It says it's charging, but the battery gets hot and the level does not increase. Even after many hours, it will stay at 10%.

I also noticed that when this happens, if I clear the Battery Manager application cache (Settings -> Applications -> Manage -> Running -> Battery Manager -> Clear Data), the problem is fixed. The battery level immediately begins rising at a normal rate, and the phone returns to a normal temperature within minutes.

This happens every few days. It is very consistent. When it happens, which it inevitably does, clearing the Battery Manager data fixes it immediately without exception.

I do not have any third-party battery management software installed.

It took me a while to discover that clearing the Battery Manager cache solved this problem. I've been struggling with it since I bought the phone. Other things I've tried that have not solved the problem:

• Restarting the phone (problem continues even after reboot).
  • Exchanging the battery for a new one.
  • Testing the battery in a working Droid 1.
  • Testing a battery from a working Droid 1 in my phone.
  • Testing the charger on another phone.
  • Testing a known working charger on my phone.
  • Factory reset.
  • Changing battery manager profiles (happens on every profile).
  • I use OverclockWidget to underclock my phone (that and MyBackup are the only things I use root for). I removed it and rebooted.
  • Full cycle charges.
  • Killing noncritical apps with a task manager.
  • Just waiting. The problem does not fix itself.

Has anybody else had any problems like this or had any other weird Battery Manager related issues?

Incidentally, another problem that this solves is a problem that I (and some others, according to the internet) have where the backlight turns on and stays on when the phone is unplugged (this does not solve problem when "Battery Saver" profile is in use, however - thread).

J

chrstdvd

Reaction score
"Killing noncritical apps with a task manager."

Get rid of the task manager and see if the problem goes away.

OP
J

JasonC

Reaction score
Thanks, I will try that. I currently have ES Task Manager installed on the phone. I have removed it, rebooted the phone, and I'll give it a few days to see if the problem happens again.

I normally only use the task manager to kill crashed apps; I do not use auto kill or "kill all". I've verified that all auto-kill lists are empty (in ES and the system task manager as well). ES Task Manager was on my Droid 1 for a long time and I never experienced the charging problem.

Last edited:

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Some where in clockwork recovery is an option to wipe battery stats. Try doing this and see if it helps. Perhaps your battery stats have been corrupted. I am unsure if this is related to what you did with Battery Manager but it cant hurt to try.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can also download the battery calibration app for free which erases and replaces a fresh battery stat file. I do it every once in a while and when I install a new rom

Sent from my Liberated DROID2

OP
J

JasonC

Reaction score
Get rid of the task manager and see if the problem goes away.

After removing ES Task Manager and rebooting the phone, I switched the battery manager profile to "Battery Saver" (which consistently causes other issues for me) and left the phone plugged in. The problem happened immediately, the phone did not charge (although it said it was charging) and instead built up a lot of heat.

I unplugged the charger and plugged back in, and the phone did not charge at all. It did not even think it was charging; it thought it was unplugged. I plugged the USB into the computer, and the data connection worked fine but the phone still did not think it was charging.

I then cleared the battery manager cache and switched to a different profile. No change.

I then rebooted the phone. No change.

I then cleared the battery manager cache again (no reboot), and the problem was fixed.

I'm not sure what happened, that was a behavior that I've never seen before (normally the phone thinks it's charging but really isn't, in this case it did not even realize it was plugged in), but in any case, removing the task manager did not solve them problem and, ultimately, the problem was solved after clearing the battery manager data.

Hmm...

Some where in clockwork recovery is an option to wipe battery stats. Try doing this and see if it helps. Perhaps your battery stats have been corrupted. I am unsure if this is related to what you did with Battery Manager but it cant hurt to try.

I could not find that option in Clockwork Recovery, but when I have more free time I will do some research to see if the battery stats are part of the data cleared with the Battery Manager application data.

You can also download the battery calibration app for free which erases and replaces a fresh battery stat file.

I will try this and give the phone a few days to see if the problem happens again.

I have reinstalled the task manager.

Thanks again,
Jason