D1 warranty question

Sniper_5

Reaction score
I bought my droid " like new"(1 week old) a few months back from a private seller. Shortly after a family member trashed my box along with all my accessory stuff. I was curious what the verizon warranty covers(I also have assurion) but my droid( as do all my phones) has taken a bit of abuse. My battery cover is loose and somehow the paint bubbled over the summer and pealed off. I'd like to get the phone replaced but not sure if I should go through assurion, verizon, or just deal until my upgrade in March 2011?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

ionide

Reaction score
Technically you shouldn't be covered under warranty from verizon or be able to have asurion on your phone if you didn't buy it new. But the stuff you're saying wouldn't be covered under warranty so if you do have asurion that's your best bet.

I bought my droid " like new"(1 week old) a few months back from a private seller. Shortly after a family member trashed my box along with all my accessory stuff. I was curious what the verizon warranty covers(I also have assurion) but my droid( as do all my phones) has taken a bit of abuse. My battery cover is loose and somehow the paint bubbled over the summer and pealed off. I'd like to get the phone replaced but not sure if I should go through assurion, verizon, or just deal until my upgrade in March 2011?

OP
Sniper_5

Sniper_5

Reaction score
I've had assurion since the day I signed onto verizon. I called in to activate my Droid and they're still charging me for the assurion services so I certainly hope its covered lol.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would wait until March, as was said before it doesn't sound like you have a warranty issue and for insurance you are going to pay $90.00 you might as well save that for a new phone, plus the first quarter 2011 should bring some nice devices

OP
Sniper_5

Sniper_5

Reaction score
Alright, thanks for the quick replies!

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've had assurion since the day I signed onto verizon. I called in to activate my Droid and they're still charging me for the assurion services so I certainly hope its covered lol.

Since you bought it used, I concur that it should not have warranty nor should you be paying for Asurion. In fact, you should call them and ask for credits for the months you've been paying for it. If you go to file any sort of insurance claim you're going to be sad to know it isn't valid. It should have been a feature that was removed when adding this phone you bought privately.

OP
Sniper_5

Sniper_5

Reaction score
I'll have to call verizon tomorrow after work. 15:30 EST. I'll discuss this with them and see what they have to say. Thanks for the information.

tommyb38

Reaction score
You have absolutely no warranty on a phone you buy from a private owner. The only hope of warranty replacement is if the original owner is someone you know and they ill re-activate it on their account and do a warranty claim. The warranty is only for the original owner and is non-transferable.

OP
Sniper_5

Sniper_5

Reaction score
Well I guess I'll post what they have to say tomorrow. Maybe I'll get lucky. After one tech made me use assurion to replace my lg dare 1 week after I got it they never made me use them again ( and I had 4 more phones replaced after that including one I broke the screen on) and I never paid a dime. So who knows.

OP
Sniper_5

Sniper_5

Reaction score
For those who may be interested. I spoke to both a Verizon and Asurion representative just moments ago. Both informed me that purchase location is void. Verizon, the phone manufacturer, and Asurion will cover ANY phone as long as it is a phone they sell on their network, and is on their network. So my phone, despite being a private purchase outside of any dealer, is still covered under all warranties.