Extended Warranty Question

Telescopist

Reaction score
Just spent an hour with Verizon tech support over my Razr MAXX. Can't call out and can't receive calls. I am on an extended warranty plan that covers phone replacement. One is being shipped overnight. The Tech read a disclaimer that had to do with any changes to software or hardware voiding the warranty and full replacement costs of phone incurred as a result. I rooted once I received the JB upgrade. Does the root constitute a violation of the terms of the warranty? Thanks.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
It may. VZ has a root/reflash counter built into ICS and JB and Samsungs are the only devices I know of that allow it to easily be reset.

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
It can but it's rarely enforced. Just remove the su binary and the super user app before you ship it back.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Last edited:
OP
Telescopist

Telescopist

Reaction score
It can but it's rarely enforced. Just remove the su binary and the super user app before you ship it back.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thank you. Yes, I have heard much the same. The phone was shipped to the outfit that handles extended warranties. I gather all they end up doing is stripping the phone down and sending it back out refurbished. I did download a copy of Universal Unroot. One click and you are back to 'stock'. Then I uninstalled SuperSU Root Checker, Root Explorer, and SQLite. One day in the life of being intimidated by what a large conglomerate can do to you if they want to. Off topic, but have you test driven the Samsung Note2 yet?

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yep, I test practically every handset that is released. I currently have the S4, and the Droid DNA, but have had a Note 2. Have a particular question?

Thank you. Yes, I have heard much the same. The phone was shipped to the outfit that handles extended warranties. I gather all they end up doing is stripping the phone down and sending it back out refurbished. I did download a copy of Universal Unroot. One click and you are back to 'stock'. Then I uninstalled SuperSU Root Checker, Root Explorer, and SQLite. One day in the life of being intimidated by what a large conglomerate can do to you if they want to. Off topic, but have you test driven the Samsung Note2 yet?

OP
Telescopist

Telescopist

Reaction score
Yep, I test practically every handset that is released. I currently have the S4, and the Droid DNA, but have had a Note 2. Have a particular question?
Okay then...I'm not much of a tap-tap person on the key board. What was your experience like utilizing the pen? Is there a learning curve with the software picking up the nuances of a person's writing style?