CPU temp while charging gets hot

The_Other_Ray

Reaction score
I have a rooted D1 with Sapphire 1.0.0 and CVPCS' LV 250-800mhz kernel.

I have set my SETCPU profiles while charging to 550/250. In the past with other kernels (chevy, jdflg, p3), if I'm not doing anything, the speed goes down to 250. But with CVPCS' kernel, it stays at 550mhz when I have my phone plugged in to AC or USB. this is the first kernel that I have ever had temperature problems that go above 50 degrees C while I'm charging the phone. I used to be able to have my phone charging and still be able to surf the internet or play Wordfeud but now if I do anything other than leaving my phone alone, the CPU temp shoots above 50 C.

Here are my SETCPU profiles in the order of priority.

1) Screen Off: 400/250
2) CPU Temp >50.0C: 550/250
3) Temp>48.0C: 550/250
4) Charging USB/Full: 400/250
5) Charging AC/Full: 400/250
6) Charging/Full: 400/250
7) Battery <20%: 550/250

I set my charging profiles purposesly to 400 because when I have it charging, SETCPU shows my clock speed as 550. I guess my profile isn't working. And because of the heat, my phone actually doesn't charge very well. About 1 hour ago, my battery was at 50%. I have had it charging while playing Word feud and now that I stopped charging due to temp warning, my phone is down to 40%.

Please help. I don't know why with this kernel, I'm running into temp problems. And this kernel seems to be the only one that I know of that allows my Sapphire rom to use CompCache.

STX21

Reaction score
Maybe try reinstalling sapphire following these steps: reboot into recovery, install sapphire, then gapps. Boot up, let market restore all of your apps. Back into recovery, install a kernel and your theme (if you have one).

Don't forget to do 2-3 data wipes AND cache wipes before. I always do 3 of each just to be sure I'm not leaving anything behind.

Also, is it only your charging profile that is not working?

OP
The_Other_Ray

The_Other_Ray

Reaction score
Yes, it is only my AC charging profile that isn't working. The USB, I just double checked, does go down to 250 and only up to the 400 that I set to. But the AC charging speed stays at 550 and doesn't move up or down even though my profile is set to 400 max.

STX21

Reaction score
Yeah, I had the same problem awhile back on a different ROM.

I honestly can't remember how to fix it, but I just checked my AC profile, and it too won't go below 550. However, my phone does get hotter when plugged in, but nowhere near 50*C.

OP
The_Other_Ray

The_Other_Ray

Reaction score
I'm restoring a previous backup of my lithiummod and testing that out. I've never had temperature problems with it so I'm going to double check if the AC charging profile stays put or not.

STX21

Reaction score
I'm restoring a previous backup of my lithiummod and testing that out. I've never had temperature problems with it so I'm going to double check if the AC charging profile stays put or not.

Let me know if your temps are lower on lithiummod, as well as the AC profile bug, please.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

CellZealot

Reaction score
This is a known bug with almost all custom kernels.

While charging on AC it will always lock to the speed of the third slot of whatever kernel you are running.

It goes back to .29 series kernels from 2.1 onward.

OP
The_Other_Ray

The_Other_Ray

Reaction score
Well, I restored my Lithiummod with P3 LV 125-800 kernel and I noticed that the AC charging stays at 500mhz while the CVPCS stayed at 550. But the major difference is that my CPU isn't getting hotter like when I had Sapphire 1.0 installed. It hasn't given me the failsafe warning the whole time that I had it plugged into the AC charger and I was surfing the internet and playing Wordfeud.

So, looks like my issue has been resolved but not sure if it is the rom or the kernel.

Anyways, thanks for responding and helping me out.

PJnc284

Reaction score
yeah, same issue here. I've passed 50C a couple times and had the alert go off in SetCPU. Seems that doing anything (browsing, playing games, etc) beyond 5-10min causes the temp to shoot up. I'd hate to see what it gets to with it plugged in and using nav.

OP
The_Other_Ray

The_Other_Ray

Reaction score
well, found out that it was the word feud game that was causing battery issues. Back to sapphire and no overheating problems after I updated the word feud app.