Convince me to stick with it!

Donnie666

Reaction score
It sounds like you need an "easy" experience. I would flush your Xoom down the toilet and get an Ipad2. It is more suited for non techie people.

Motorola Xoom
Droid Forums app

Donnie

OP
brock.overcash
Reaction score
It sounds like you need an "easy" experience. I would flush your Xoom down the toilet and get an Ipad2. It is more suited for non techie people.

Motorola Xoom
Droid Forums app

Donnie

I thought that I had made it clear above but apparently not. I do not want to go back to Apple products. I do not particulary want an easy experience.

I do, however, want something that works. Right now, with the two Xooms that I have owned, it has not done it to my satisfaction.

Also, I frankly am insulted that you think I am a non-techie person. I have a Droid, and from my signature, I am sure you can pick up that I know what to do with it. I have even gone as far as to edit build.prop files to show my name in the settings. I am not incompetent. I work in an IT department, I have taken apart and built multiple computers, I have set up numerous Linux servers including my own personal one.

I would appreciate people refraining from now on suggesting that I am incompetent. My plan as of now is to return my Xoom, get my money back and wait for the wifi-only version. I hope that it has an enhanced antenna structure or something since it doesn't have a 3G or space for a 4G module and I didn't need the VZW data anyway. This will also give Motorola a little more time to work on the Xoom software optimisation and independent developers to create their own roms.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

spillner

Reaction score

Motorola Xoom
Droid Forums app

Donnie

I have to disagree with you on this. You're insinuating that Android is only meant for the "techie" group. I am very tired of the stereotype that Android devices are for nerds and geeks. I am not very computer savy and after purchasing the Droid last year it only took me a few days to really get the OS down. Some of the more technical issues were easily solved via looking it up or asking this forum. I have played around with my brothers iPhone and can say it would take me the same amount of time to figure that out as well.

The main problem I see is that a lot of people have some experience with iOS (playing with a friends or having one prior). iOS has been around for years, so people find it hard to navigate Android when they're used to a completely different OS.

Donnie666

Reaction score
Calm down fella. You invite this sort of response when you start a thread called "convince me to stick with it". Why? Whats in it for me?

Too many people have purchased the xoom for this to be a flaw in design or widespread issue. I am answering this on wifi from my mifi in the woods so its either that you have had bad luck with 2 or there is an issue outside of the Xoom in your environment.

I post in pure sacasm no meanness intended. Buck up lil camper.

Motorola Xoom
Droid Forums app

Donnie

Donnie666

Reaction score

Motorola Xoom
Droid Forums app

Donnie

I have to disagree with you on this. You're insinuating that Android is only meant for the "techie" group. I am very tired of the stereotype that Android devices are for nerds and geeks. I am not very computer savy and after purchasing the Droid last year it only took me a few days to really get the OS down. Some of the more technical issues were easily solved via looking it up or asking this forum. I have played around with my brothers iPhone and can say it would take me the same amount of time to figure that out as well.

The main problem I see is that a lot of people have some experience with iOS (playing with a friends or having one prior). iOS has been around for years, so people find it hard to navigate Android when they're used to a completely different OS.

So ummm is techie or geek an insult? I consider myself both and prolly a nerd as well. I would say you need some patience and willingness to learn to go from iAnything to a droid platform. I do think the apple products are easier to use and less open for customization. Not to say they are bad or lesser just different.

Remember just my .02

Motorola Xoom
Droid Forums app

Donnie

OP
brock.overcash
Reaction score
The only reason that I raged a little bit was that someone else had suggested the same thing earlier in the forum and I politely dismissed it. I also think that its is weird where people start to suggest a completely different platform. I apolgize if I came across to angry. I just wanted to get my point across.

Donnie666

Reaction score
The only reason that I raged a little bit was that someone else had suggested the same thing earlier in the forum and I politely dismissed it. I also think that its is weird where people start to suggest a completely different platform. I apolgize if I came across to angry. I just wanted to get my point across.

Honestly dude, I am also in IT. I test a ton of products for my department and I am throughly impressed with it as a first release. I do truly think you might have either gotten the bad end of the stick or somthing is up. I would stick with your 3g/4g/wifi because the data packages over time will get better and cheaper. If you still have your Xoom a year from now and you see the lte at a cheap price it will be cool to be ready for it.

My .02

Peace

Motorola Xoom
Droid Forums app

Donnie

OP
brock.overcash
Reaction score
I hope I have just gotten the short end of the stick or something. I don't need the VZW plans though. I will use my droid to tether if I need to. Also, the intial price difference is enough to make me want that money back for a feature that I will rarely use. I also hope that there might be a slight design change that uses the extra space for more antenna or something.

My .02 as well

OP
brock.overcash
Reaction score
I finally got a chance to test my Xoom on another network and it worked perfectly. I am still confused why its the only device on my network that seems to have issues but I will roll with it. Now I gotta either get a new router or figure out what's wrong with the one I have.

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your issues..
A few points to note...
Perhaps if you set your wifi settings to never switch over, basically puting into wifi only mode it may not have issues trying to flip back and forth should there be any flux in temp sig strength?

I don't see moto redesigning the wheel so to speak for the wifi only version (changing any antennae config) as easily as I do them simply leaving our the 3G radio.

I have had 0 (knock on wood) issues with my wifi and I use it at home/work and with my DX hotspot ..

Sometimes we just have to be "that guy" that had to go thru a few lemons to get to the kiwi, hehe...took me 4 DX's to get my baby!

Will be interested to see how this plays out for you, best of luck mate!
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
brock.overcash
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your issues..
A few points to note...
Perhaps if you set your wifi settings to never switch over, basically puting into wifi only mode it may not have issues trying to flip back and forth should there be any flux in temp sig strength?

I don't see moto redesigning the wheel so to speak for the wifi only version (changing any antennae config) as easily as I do them simply leaving our the 3G radio.

I have had 0 (knock on wood) issues with my wifi and I use it at home/work and with my DX hotspot ..

Sometimes we just have to be "that guy" that had to go thru a few lemons to get to the kiwi, hehe...took me 4 DX's to get my baby!

Will be interested to see how this plays out for you, best of luck mate!
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Thanks you for the advice! I do just use wifi. I don't even have the data plan paid for and I don't think my device is even activated haha. Yeah, Moto redesigning the antenna was just wishful thinking and that's good/not so good to hear that it took you 4 DXs to get the one u wanted. There is definately something messed up with my wifi. I'm glad to figure that out because I do like the Xoom and I think the issues I've had have stemmed from my wifi being messed up.

cplus

Reaction score
I'm on my second Xoom now, the first I returned after having wifi issues (it also locked into bootloader at Best Buy), and to be honest, the second one isn't much better, where some problems were solved, others were found, and I really need some convincing to keep this thing and to not dump it in favor of either a better android tablet or *shudder* the ipad 2.

Please sound off in support or if you have had similar troubles.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums App

I know its not what you want to hear but I returned mine for 64GB WH ipad2 and couldn't be happier. Moto ripped people off with the xoom. My 2 cents, not a arguement or anything. Sorry if that doesn't help.

Sent with a smile from my iPad 2