Steaming movies and Office apps

terroh8er

Reaction score
Hello,
I just sold my iPad and am debating between the iPad 2 and Xoom. I'm kind of an Android fanboy as iOS is too closed to be of much use, especially on a tablet. Specifically, iOS would never allow for an app like Orbot (Tor), APG (PGP/GPG encryption), Swype, or Firefox and its associated addons. Perhaps these are esoteric examples, but I'm sure everyone has their own niche apps that aren't possible on iOS. I digress...

With that said, there two things that were on my iPad that I can't do without and I'm not sure if they have decent Android counterparts. One is an app for video streaming. It basically needs to be able to take Xvid/x264 video files that are stored on my PC and stream them to my tablet over LAN (preferably over WAN too). If anyone is familiar with iPad/iPhone apps, the one I used on my iPad was called Air Video. You install a program on your PC and it converts the video on the fly to whatever format the iPad natively plays.

More importantly is Office-type apps and one for note-taking. I need a word processor and PowerPoint. Pages and Keynote were pretty well-polished. Similar apps on my Droid X aren't very good, but as a phone, I can cut it some slack. I don't really need advanced features, but a solid and stable Office suite is essential.

I'm going to use my tablet primarily for school, so I need a good note taking app. And while I'm at it, I need something that will effectively organize PDFs, similar to iBooks (although I'm sure there are better ones, as it doesn't allow for hierarchal (?) organization).

Thanks for any help!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Techsniffer

Reaction score
I have not tested this as of yet but I do have a streaming program on my PC that "should" work for Android, but as I've stated I have not tested it. TVersity is what I use to stream to PS3, XBOX360 and I know works with iOS items as well. This does all the conversion on my PC and streams it out.

As for an app to view/edit docs/pdf's etc I use DocsToGo, Quickoffice is also there but the popular consensus and my own opinion is that Quickoffice isnt as good.

As for some of the other things you mentioned, I am almost sure I've run across some of the other stuff you've mentioned but just didnt fit my needs/interests so I did not look into them better

Take a look at the Android market and see/research for yourself

Android Market

FuturePrimitive

Reaction score
Check out PlayOn. I use it to stream to my PS3 and OG Droid and it works really well. It will stream a lot more than content than whats on your PC as well, such as NetFlix, Hulu, and most major TV networks.

HOWEVER (and its a big one) it doesn't yet work on the Xoom because it requires Flash. So as soon as Flash is released for Xoom it will work.

hazex

Reaction score
Give it a try to TV Shows Stream, it has just been updated to work with xoom, you can watch hundreds of tv shows, no subscription required. There is a free lite version with 12 tv shows for testing purposes. Hope you find this info usefull

mhochman

Reaction score
Check out PlayOn. I use it to stream to my PS3 and OG Droid and it works really well. It will stream a lot more than content than whats on your PC as well, such as NetFlix, Hulu, and most major TV networks.

HOWEVER (and its a big one) it doesn't yet work on the Xoom because it requires Flash. So as soon as Flash is released for Xoom it will work.

PlayOn works As of flash 10.2 However it's a little buggy, and NOT Honeycomb optimized. it will play videos, but the quality isn't outstanding, Definately watchable, but sure as heck not HD.

z06mike

Reaction score

PlayOn works As of flash 10.2 However it's a little buggy, and NOT Honeycomb optimized. it will play videos, but the quality isn't outstanding, Definately watchable, but sure as heck not HD.

In my experience, the sites I visit have VERY GOOD video quality. ABC, ESPN, CBS, Yahoo, etc. Also, I'm not sure that it is buggy. The leaked version was a little buggy, but the official that is out now is very good. :icon_ banana:

mortoxoom

Reaction score
I have 'documents to go' on my HTC incredible but have not tried it yet on my xoom. Its a great app for excel, word, powerpoint. I paid for the app.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums