Converting Droid video

mitchb2

Reaction score
I posted this in the General forum, not knowing there was a dedicated audio/video forum.

I've tried several programs to convert the Droid's 3gp video to AVI, but none of the AVI files are recognized when I try to stream on either the XBox 360 or the PS3.

Handbrake only gives me 2 output options: MP4 and MKV.

D

dvdcatalyst

I posted this in the General forum, not knowing there was a dedicated audio/video forum.

I've tried several programs to convert the Droid's 3gp video to AVI, but none of the AVI files are recognized when I try to stream on either the XBox 360 or the PS3.

Handbrake only gives me 2 output options: MP4 and MKV.

3gp files are pretty low quality, and its possible that the resulting converted file is just out of specification for the format.
You didn't mention what you are using for streaming, but based on mentioning the PS3 and the XBOX360, I would guess Tversity? Tvsersity should be able to stream the 3GP files, as it actually "converts" the file while streaming, so if you are not using this, I would give that a shot.

TVersity - Home

There are also a couple of free programs, such as Videora
Red Kawa Video Converters
that can convert 3gp to an xbox/ps3 supported format.

OP
M

mitchb2

Reaction score
No more TVersity. Now that I have Windows 7, I can stream to both the XBox and the PS3 just using Windows Media Player. Never did get TVersity to work again after I went from XP to Vista to Windows 7.

I thought the Droid would replace my Flip Mino. I didn't realize the video quality was so poor.

D

dvdcatalyst

No more TVersity. Now that I have Windows 7, I can stream to both the XBox and the PS3 just using Windows Media Player. Never did get TVersity to work again after I went from XP to Vista to Windows 7.

I thought the Droid would replace my Flip Mino. I didn't realize the video quality was so poor.

Oh, I'm not saying the quality of your recorded video sucks, it's just that the 3GP video format is limited.

I was unaware that the PS3 can finally connect to Media Center, so thats where tversity came in, Things are different now :)

Basically just pick the AppleTV profile or the iPhone profile in Handbrake. These MP4's should stream just fine with Media Center on Windows 7 without the need to install any additional codecs.

There are also other software apps mentioned here that convert video to Droid format, and the files created using those tools (H264 MP4) should also stream properly with Media Center.

R

racklefratz

I've never even heard of a "flip mino", but Droid video quality is actually quite good, best of any PMP I've ever owned, and I've owned a bunch. If you're not getting decent results with yours, you're doing something wrong.

D

dvdcatalyst

I've never even heard of a "flip mino", but Droid video quality is actually quite good, best of any PMP I've ever owned, and I've owned a bunch. If you're not getting decent results with yours, you're doing something wrong.

The quality comment came from me, and was based on the fact that 3GP video is quite limited. The main reason why it exists is that it's designed to require very low processing power to create and play (unlike H264, which is the opposite) and usually this results in a low-quality video file, unless the files are fairly big in size.

R

racklefratz

The quality comment came from me, and was based on the fact that 3GP video is quite limited. The main reason why it exists is that it's designed to require very low processing power to create and play (unlike H264, which is the opposite) and usually this results in a low-quality video file, unless the files are fairly big in size.

Understand. Most of my experience with videos on the Droid have been with mp4, and I've been very impressed with how nice they look.