Contacts synced with facebook.

dsylvester83

Reaction score
How do I sync all my contacts to facebook? Currently, about half of my contacts have thier facebook picture next to thier name & number. I dont know how that even happened, but I like it and want to make all my contacts synced with facebook. Thanks.

ness180

Reaction score
All of your contacts that have Facebook accounts get synced to it. If you have contacts that don't have a Facebook account, then it won't.

However, if your asking how to get contacts that you know that have Facebook accounts to sync...I'm not overly positive and will leave that to someone who has more knowledge on the matter. :)

nerdbox08

Reaction score
How do I sync all my contacts to facebook? Currently, about half of my contacts have thier facebook picture next to thier name & number. I dont know how that even happened, but I like it and want to make all my contacts synced with facebook. Thanks.

If you want to make sure facebook is synced, go Settings - Accounts
and Syncing, make sure your facebook accept is listed, which I'm sure it is.

The reason not all of your contacts are linking up is mostly likely because your contact and their facebook names aren't listed as the same.

Go into contacts edit one, hit Settings, then select join. It will then give you the contacts it can be merged with. If the contact has a facebook, it should give you a similar contact to merge with.

Note: on facebook I don't use a real name, so if we were friends, odds are you wouldn't be able to merge me with a phone contact because the names are nothing the same.

DanSan

Reaction score

The reason not all of your contacts are linking up is mostly likely because your contact and their facebook names aren't listed as the same.

Go into contacts edit one, hit Settings, then select join. It will then give you the contacts it can be merged with. If the contact has a facebook, it should give you a similar contact to merge with.

Note: on facebook I don't use a real name, so if we were friends, odds are you wouldn't be able to merge me with a phone contact because the names are nothing the same.

this doesnt work.. i go to my gf's contact and hit join. all it does is display a list of all my phone contacts, no facebook contacts or anything.

on my friends eris hes able to go into a phone contact and one of the contact fields is actually a FB field. you can manually type in the persons name and it syncs.. is there anyway to do this??

and no, the names in the phone dont need to match the name on facebook. it goes off phone number too..

i have noticed that if i had the contact in my phone as "John" and on facebook he has it as "John Smith". when it syncs it changes the contact on my phone to "John Smith" but when i edit his contact it still only shows "John" in his name field.

yet i have another friend who was in my phone as "Murph" which is his last name. he contact synced with facebook but hes the only one who didnt change in my phone to his first and last name.

nerdbox08

Reaction score

this doesnt work.. i go to my gf's contact and hit join. all it does is display a list of all my phone contacts, no facebook contacts or anything.

on my friends eris hes able to go into a phone contact and one of the contact fields is actually a FB field. you can manually type in the persons name and it syncs.. is there anyway to do this??

and no, the names in the phone dont need to match the name on facebook. it goes off phone number too..

i have noticed that if i had the contact in my phone as "John" and on facebook he has it as "John Smith". when it syncs it changes the contact on my phone to "John Smith" but when i edit his contact it still only shows "John" in his name field.

yet i have another friend who was in my phone as "Murph" which is his last name. he contact synced with facebook but hes the only one who didnt change in my phone to his first and last name.

I haven't been able to figure out the complete list of variables that will allow you to merge the contacts or why it changes the contacts the way it does.

This is the only way I've been able to get most of my own contacts to 'merge' with facebook.

So while I gave the most general, and from what I know, the simplest way to fix the majority of errors with facebook contact syncing, I haven't mastered all the ins and outs of it. ;(

DanSan

Reaction score
Yea man, like if you were in my contacts and i selected ur name and hit join.. all it shows is the list of phone contacts. no facebook items to "merge" with

nerdbox08

Reaction score
Yea man, like if you were in my contacts and i selected ur name and hit join.. all it shows is the list of phone contacts. no facebook items to "merge" with

I'm sorry I believe I was misunderstood.

You have to select the facebook contact that isn't associated, then join it to the contact actually from the phone.

This is one of the major flaws of the contacts.

DanSan

Reaction score

You have to select the facebook contact that isn't associated, then join it to the contact actually from the phone.

so your saying i have to go INTO FACEBOOK, then hit menu and find the "join" option.. not the other way around

DanSan

Reaction score
ok i figured it out..

yes you need to go into facebook. search for your friend so that person name is in the list but dont click into their profile. long press on their picture, a popup menu will appear, and hit the contact icon. then hit menu, edit contact and then hit menu again and you can join the contact. i then found the phone contact and hit join. only thing im trying to figure out so when i join them it doesnt change the persons name on my phone. i dont like it adding peoples last names..

nerdbox08

Reaction score

so your saying i have to go INTO FACEBOOK, then hit menu and find the "join" option.. not the other way around

no. It's all done in your contact list on your phone. You need to access the contact created by facebook first, then when you go to join it you will end up associating it with the actual contact on your phone.

See some of my contacts looked the exact same when I synced up, but it didn't merge them. So it took me a minute to realize I had to tell the phone the temporary (facebook) contact should be recognized as also the permanent one.

Because facebook contacts aren't actually stored on your phone just borrowed from the facebook application.

Does that make sense?

DanSan

Reaction score
No its done from facebook.

1) open facebook, type in friends name but dont go into their profile.
2) press on their picture, the popup menu will appear. click the contact icon.
3) then hit edit contact, then menu>join contact.
4) it will bring you to your PHONE contacts and then you select the person who you want to join

im still trying to stop it from changing the name on my phone. i dont want peoples first and last name as their name on my phone. i use a lot of nicknames and **** and it changes it

nerdbox08

Reaction score

4) it will bring you to your PHONE contacts and then you select the person who you want to join

im still trying to stop it from changing the name on my phone. i dont want peoples first and last name as their name on my phone. i use a lot of nicknames and **** and it changes it

Well I'm glad you found another way to do it :)

You can do the other way, seems more complicated at this point though.

DanSan

Reaction score

Well I'm glad you found another way to do it :)

You can do the other way, seems more complicated at this point though.

if i do it from the phone contacts, the only contacts it shows to "join" are other phone contacts

DanSan

Reaction score
ok i found out how you guys were doing it..

only thing is i dont like how its adding their real names to my phones contact.

i like using nicknames and **** for my phone contacts and im not sure how to stop it from changing it to their facebook name.