contacts not syncing to google

monkeydog

Reaction score
My dad and I took advantage of the buy one get one free deal. He has never had an android phone so they transferred the contacts off of his env touch to the droid 2. I was showing him how he can add events to the calendar on the website from a pc and they sync right to the phone and was going to show him how the same is true for his contacts.... but the contacts on the gmail website are blank. I checked the phone to make sure they are set to sync, they are, and I forced a sync from the phone; they still won't show up on the website. Has anyone else experienced this and know of a solution?

trook

Reaction score
You need to make a CSV file and export the CSV file to gmail or wherever. I went to the verizon wireless website and all my contacts were there, there is also instructions on creating a csv file and exporting it on the verizon site.

OP
M

monkeydog

Reaction score
Ok, so I exported the contacts from the phone and uploaded them to google. The sync went fine except we discovered the phone wouldn't upload profile pics to google contacts and editing numbers would result in multiple entries on the phone. This was caused because now there were 2 seperate entries for each contact, a phone entry and a google entry. So I deleted all the contacts from the phone and redid a google sync. Now everything is perfect...
Why did they ever even bring "phone contacts" in to existence? Doesn't that nullify the whole point of syncing with google contacts? The moto droid worked perfectly fine without phone contacts. All this did was add a huge hassle because we don't want phone contacts at all, just google contacts. sigh, at least we got it sorted out. Thanks.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I exported the contacts from the phone and uploaded them to google. The sync went fine except we discovered the phone wouldn't upload profile pics to google contacts and editing numbers would result in multiple entries on the phone. This was caused because now there were 2 seperate entries for each contact, a phone entry and a google entry. So I deleted all the contacts from the phone and redid a google sync. Now everything is perfect...
Why did they ever even bring "phone contacts" in to existence? Doesn't that nullify the whole point of syncing with google contacts? The moto droid worked perfectly fine without phone contacts. All this did was add a huge hassle because we don't want phone contacts at all, just google contacts. sigh, at least we got it sorted out. Thanks.

I think if you would have programed the phone from the beginning and Verizon had not got their grubby little paws on the phone and transfered the contacts you wouldn't have had this issue.