Contacts force close, tried fix...

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Lol no problem. Let me get my old x2 out and look.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Crap, I forgot I'm not on stock. Um, trying to remember off the top of my head. When you go to settings - apps - manage and click on all, it doesnt list all of the applications? You can't scroll down to contacts, click on it, and then click the clear data button? If its not visable once you click contacts you may need to scroll down that screen as well.

dcdroid2013

Reaction score
I was able to find the settings you described. I cleared the data for the app called "Contacts" and it went down to 0 KB. There was another app called "Contacts storage," and I tried to clear it too, but the clear data button was grayed-out and I couldn't click on it. There are also apps called "contacts sync" and "contactsdata". I couldn't clear the contacts sync app (again, the clear data button was grayed-out), but I did clear the contactsdata app.

After clearing Contacts and contacts data, I went into the contacts app itself, and everyone is still listed. The force close problem continues. Also, if I go back to the settings/manage apps page again, then it now shows data in Contacts again. Weird.

Any other ideas?

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Aside from a factory reset or a ROM not really. :( sorry.

Sent from my XT926 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

dcdroid2013

Reaction score
I booted into safe-mode, and while there I uninstalled Outlook and Hotmail (its predecessor, which is now obsolete and no longer works anyway). I also cleared the data from my contacts and contactsdata apps.

When I rebooted, the contacts app is now working and doesn't force close! So, now I know how to fix it. I'm going to try to reinstall the Outlook app (perhaps Outlook and Hotmail's syncing functions were in conflict) and see what happens. At least now I know how to fix it if it recreates the same error.

Thanks so much you guys!

dcdroid2013

Reaction score
One final update (hopefully): I reinstalled Outlook, and things are fine within contacts so far. I also forgot to mention that I also uninstalled Google Drive when I was in safe mode. I don't know if that could have been causing the problem; it seems much more likely that there was some sort of conflict between the Hotmail and Outlook apps, but what do I know.

Hopefully this helps if anyone else has the same odd problem.