Contacts force close, tried fix...

PeanutPixie

Reaction score
Good Morning,
I am really new to rooting and ran into a problem. I've had the phone rooted for a while but when i first did it I was an idiot and deleted yahoo authentication and others. So of course I can't access my contacts. I tried the fix of copying the apk and odex files under system app and setting the rights to rw r r but still nothing. Restarted it even factory reset... im really just trying to figure out what else i can do. I have a droid x2 and used that 2012 root thats floating around. Sorry, im not very tech savy. I found a contacts app that'll at least allow me to view apps but still cant add new ones.... any suggestions?

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
So you're on 2.3.5? I would use titanium backup to save your apps + data, texts and bookmarks then do a SBF. Since you will be SBFing with the version you are already on you may not need to wipe data but better to be safe than sorry.

Just to make sure, when you moved the file to system/app you changed both of the owners and permissions to match the ones around?

The SBF will replace all your system files, you'll need to re-root afterwards though.

Let me find you some links.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Links: All files for Verizon.

Download the 2.3.5 SBF from here: https://sites.google.com/site/motosbf/droid-x2-sbf-files (the last one)

Download RSD Lite: https://sites.google.com/site/motosbf/rsdlite (5.6 or 5.7 should be fine, get the drivers here too if you need them)

SBF Guide: [GUIDE] How to SBF an X2

SBF How To Video: (This shows 2.3.4 but the process is the same for 2.3.5) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDjt2fiFd_0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

-Make sure you're using the cable that came with the phone
-As always, make sure your battery is charged before attempting any of this.

Once the SBF is complete, most of these guides will tell you to wipe data after it is finished. Don't do that the first time. See if it will boot normally after the SBF. RSD Lite may say please manually reboot the phone when it's done, so pull the battery and replace it then power up like normal. If it does not boot (after waiting a 5+ minutes) pull the battery again. With the phone off, hold volume down + power until "fastboot" appears at the top of the screen. Press volume down 7 times until "android recovery" is at the top. Press volume up once. Now at the ! screen press volume up + volume down at the same time once. This is stock recovery. Navigate with volume down to wipe data/factory reset and press power to select it. Then reboot.

Here is how to root 2.3.5 (just for reference) : [How to] Root 2.3.5/1.3.418
-Make sure the phone is in PC Mode or Charge Only.

Let me know if you have any questions. :)

Last edited:
OP
P

PeanutPixie

Reaction score

Hi Cliff.

Is doing the SBF the only way to get it working again? I was hoping I could be pretty much done tinkering with my phone ....

As for permissions, once its in the system app file with all my other files i did change the permissions exactly to what the other ones said.... isthere maybe a step I missed? If i just click on apk for yahoo and yahoo contacts it asks if i want to install it but even if I press yes it says installed failed (though none of the sites say to do anything besides move them and set the permission ...) i restarted my phone multiple times too, and its supposed to have the authenticator back installed, but even with the files in the system app folder and setting permissions and restarting my phone, it won't show up.

Thank you for your help! !

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
It may not be the only fix but without knowing everything you deleted, my help is going to be based off assumptions. Do you know everything you removed? If you can't view your contacts or dont have the contacts app then i don't think its only the yahoo apps you need to replace. Unless you still have contacts but want the yahoo one?

Edit: I forgot to mention. All of those files i listed above are for Verizon. Don't use them if you arent with them.

Last edited:
OP
P

PeanutPixie

Reaction score

Hi Cliff. I deleted yahoo authentication, myspace authentication and linked in authentication. I found a set of all the apks and odex files you need to have for contacts to work and i copied everything to the system app and matched the rights. If sbf is my only choice theb ill do that tonight when i get home and let you know what happens. Will i need to reinstall the actual applications or is the sbf just basically is a super reset?

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
It would be the best option in my opinion.

The SBF itself doesnt touch your data. Since you are on 2.3.5 and using the 2.3.5 file you *may* not have to wipe data. If you do then everything will be gone and it will be like a "brand new" phone. Since you are rooted, use Titanium Backup to save your user apps + data. That way if you need to wipe you can just restore them later.

OP
P

PeanutPixie

Reaction score
:hail::hail::hail::hail::hail:DancingNexusdancedroiddancedroid:icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

THANK YOU SOOOOO SOOOO MUCH. Fixed the entire thing in less than 10 Minutes!!!! I love you sir! :) Thank you so much for your help and even Double Thank you and Triple Thank you for not making fun of me for my limited knowledge!

THANK YOU!!!!:hail:ilovedf

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Lol I'm very glad you got it all worked out. Did you have to wipe data or no?

OP
P

PeanutPixie

Reaction score
It started just fine without data, but since I didn't have anything on the phone anyways I decided I'll just do a fresh start :) I am sooooo incredibly happy right now. This has been an annoyance for the last 4 months or so and almost caused me to upgrade to a new phone at full price. :frown: BUUUUUT NOOOOOOWWWWWW :icon_ lala: I don't have to do that anymore, Thanks to you :hail::hail:

:)

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
I'm glad it worked. :)

dcdroid2013

Reaction score
Similar contacts "force close" problem -- but after installing Outlook app

I'm having the same problem with contacts force closing when I try to access any of the individual contacts. I started having this problem immediately after installing the Outlook app. It asked me if I wanted it to sync with my contacts, and I checked "no." Then I started having the force close problem. Thinking that might be the problem, I uninstalled Outlook, reinstalled, allowed it to sync with the contacts, hard-restarted, and am still having the same problem.

I have a Droid 3. I did not uninstall or freeze anything else (to my knowledge). It is not rooted. I'm not terribly tech-savvy, so I haven't modified my phone or OS -- just a routine, out-of-the-box user. I'm trying to avoid a factory reset since it'll be a pain to reinstall my apps. Any ideas for an easier fix?

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Try going to settings - apps - all and clearing data for contacts and contacts storage. Make sure your contacts are backed up with Google or something else first so they restore after the wipe.

Sent from my XT926 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

dcdroid2013

Reaction score
I'm on Android 2.3.4. When I go to Settings - Applications, I don't see a way to select all and clear data. I just see manage applications, storage use, etc. If I go to manage applications and click on the "All" tab, I can't see how to clear the data.

Sorry, I know these are basic questions. This is why my phone isn't rooted.