contact groups

CORRUPT27

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have the new droid and coming from BB Storm I must say i am so happy.But i was wondering is there anyway to group contacts? I have a group of guys i txt in the morning to play football and it has become a pain to have to actually name each person into my txt. I want to be able to go into my contacts and add a football group. So when i send an mms i just type football and everyone in that group receives a text message.
Thank you for the help!

Tekmazter

Reaction score
I do not believe natively that this can be done. However I took a quick peek at the market and there's an app called Group Contact Creator which for $1.00 looks very promising.

windstrings

Reaction score
I do not believe natively that this can be done. However I took a quick peek at the market and there's an app called Group Contact Creator which for $1.00 looks very promising.

Handcent will use them once you created them online but I have yet to find an app that creates them on the phone.......
Well see if this works. Seems there is only one comment so far on the market about this app.

Here is the webpage.. looks like you have to use the app to send to groups.. the groups are configured within the program rather than creating a group that everything else can see.

Last edited:

Danthok

Reaction score
If you do it once in the default messaging client it creates a "conversation" with all those contacts that you can go to and re-message. I have used this with my poker buddies. When the contacts message you back they create their own "conversation".

windstrings

Reaction score
If you do it once in the default messaging client it creates a "conversation" with all those contacts that you can go to and re-message. I have used this with my poker buddies. When the contacts message you back they create their own "conversation".

But sometime I need to pick and choose who I send to in that group depending on what the message is...... If I have to make multiple tiny conversations to go back to, it defeats the purpose of quick access.

Plus the default client doesn't allow me to browse and do a visual oversee to pick and choose who and how many I want to send to but rather is quite slow and tedius.

Last edited:

laxDroid

Reaction score
Group Contact Creator app works well for text groups

Thanks for the discussions regarding setting up texting groups/distribution lists. I too need to send mass texts to 40 members of a lacrosse team. I downloaded the Group Contact Creator app listed above and it works great. I am on Verizonwireless network and they only permit up to 10 contacts per text so I just split my team into 4 groups. I create a text and send it to the first group the forward that text to the other three. It takes 4 texts to get to the team but it's no big deal as long as the groups are setup.

You may also be able to set up groups without purchasing the $0.99 app by just creating a new contact and when you go to enter the cell number just add all ten cell numbers (all ten digits for each without the hyphens) and separate each cell number by a semi-colin;

windstrings

Reaction score
You may also be able to set up groups without purchasing the $0.99 app by just creating a new contact and when you go to enter the cell number just add all ten cell numbers (all ten digits for each without the hyphens) and separate each cell number by a semi-colin;

So you are able to 'create groups' like the title implies from your phone?
If so, can you edit the names and or delete them too?

haijak

Reaction score

I tried that already. It can store all the numbers in the system. But the contact display only shows the last 3 numbers entered. So you could see all 10 while editing the contact, but while viewing only 3.

NM. I tried again, that appears to work. I don't know what happened before.

Now I understand, I was adding mutiple numbers with the only diffrence being the auto dialed extension. The phone saw the numbers as all the same and didn't display them when viewing the contacts. It's annoying when software designers make devices just smart enough to get in the way of their being a tool.

Last edited:

bigthinker

Reaction score
This is a great post...I need to send to groups of 200+ people with my new Droid 2.0 from Motorola/Verizon....Has anyone found any simpler answers to this issue....I LOVE the Droid, but this would be the icing on the cake!

windstrings

Reaction score
Thanks for the discussions regarding setting up texting groups/distribution lists. I too need to send mass texts to 40 members of a lacrosse team. I downloaded the Group Contact Creator app listed above and it works great.

What I have issue with.... is it my understanding that "Group Contact Creator" will create groups but those groups are not considered "system groups" that sync with Google contacts online?

Is the app just categorizing groups within itself or is it really creating new groups?

I don't want to have groups on an app on my phone thats different than the groups online as that will get quite confusing and mixed up unless special effort if made to keep the two matched..... af form of "self sync" ....if you will.

Does it truly sync with Google groups in your contacts?

If you create a new group, will you be able to go online and see that same group and the contacts associated with it that you did in the group creator app?

If I haven't been confusing enough already.....

Once you create those groups and assign them, do you even need the app any more to utilize those groups?

Last edited:

laxDroid

Reaction score
The groups that you create with the app do sync with your online google contacts. Also, if you make groups on your phone and then delete the app, the texting groups will remain on the phone.

At first I set up two groups using the "Group Contact Creator" app and sent a text to one group and it was successful. Since then it stopped working correctly. For example, I sent a picture text to a group of ten people but only the last name received the text. When I looked for the sent text it only shows one of the ten recipients in the "to" window. I then looked at the contract group in my cell contacts vial the edit command and it shows all ten cell numbers separated by semicolons, as it should, but why didn't it send to all? I then made a group using the app of three people. I sent a regular text to the group. Only two received it. The "Group Contact Creator" app is not working well so I just deleted it. I've got to try something else.

windstrings

Reaction score
The "Group Contact Creator" app is not working well so I just deleted it. I've got to try something else.

If it creates groups successfully and you can assign contacts to those groups.. why not just use it for that and then use Handcent to send to those groups that GCC created?

Handcent will send to groups just fine.. it just won't create those groups nor will it assign contacts to existing groups.

laxDroid

Reaction score
I realize that what "Group Contact Creator" is really doing is it is making a new contact and placing all ten contact cell numbers in that contact separated by semicolons. It is not a "group" but just a contact with multiple cell numbers. This new "contact" then does sync with online google contacts. When I check all ten contact cell numbers through my online google contacts, they all appear correct. However, when I send a text to that new contact with the ten cell numbers in it, it is not working correctly. I haven't tried the HAndcent but will look into it. I'm heading out tonight so I'll try it tomorrow.

windstrings

Reaction score
I realize that what "Group Contact Creator" is really doing is it is making a new contact and placing all ten contact cell numbers in that contact separated by semicolons. It is not a "group" but just a contact with multiple cell numbers.
yes... if so.. that won't work...

I need to be able to pick and choose who I send to within a given group without having to browse through all 450 of my contacts.

With handcent, I don't think I"m limited to 10 contacts I can send to at a time, I looked in my "delivery report" and the other day I sent a message to 32 different people at once.
I simply browsed my whole contacts list and picked the ones I wanted to send to..... I didn't know how many at the time but I knew it was allot..... just didn't know it was 32.

I don't know if Handcent broke it up into separate sends or not but they all went.

I'm assuming its like gmail... you are not limited to 10 sends at a time there.

------------Edit.
I went back and looked again.. there were two different sends, but that was only because my message was greater than 160 characters.
Handcent breaks it up so you can send as long a message as you want and it goes all at once.

Remember to set those features in the Handcent menu if you want them.

Last edited:

sterdroids

Reaction score
Sorry to highjack but what about straight email from google. i have a list of people in a group in gmail but it doesnt show in my contact list. how do i get that to show up in contacts?

thanks