Consumer Reports Rates Wireless Carriers; VZW First and AT&T Last for Second Year

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
ATT-Sprint-TMobile-Verizon.png

For the second year in a row, Verizon Wireless has come out with the top customer satisfaction awards and AT&T has come in last, according to the latest Consumer Reports survey. Sprint came in a close second to Verizon, and T-Mobile took third. Here's a quote from ConsumerReports with more details,

We surveyed over 66,000 of our subscribers about their service and customer-support experience with both standard and no-contract providers. The full report has carrier Ratings for 22 metropolitan markets and can be found in the January 2012 issue of Consumer Reports and at Consumer Reports Online (Ratings available to subscribers).

What do you guys think of these results? Do they line up with your experiences?

Source: Android.net via DroidMatters and ConsumerReports

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
What's interesting is how they stand up to each other in the 22 cities.

Verizon lead in Atlanta, Dallas-Fort Worth, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Diego, San Francisco and Seattle.

T-Mobile lead in Austin, TX and Boston

U.S. Cellular lead in Chicago and Milwaukee

Sprint lead in Denver, Kansas City, St. Louis, Tampa and Washington D.C.

AT&T was at the bottom of all 22 cities.

They did say that while one carrier may be above the other, the difference of less than 6 points was not meaningful. For example, Austin, TX was T-Mobile at 74, Sprint and Verizon at 72 and AT&T at 61. So there T-Mobile lead by just a small bit, but was far ahead of AT&T.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
If Sprint is a close second, then maybe I could save some money by switching over. Hmmm.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I have been very happy with Verizon outside of anything dealing with the Nexus. They're customer service is top-notch and I have never had any problems when speaking to them. No matter what Verizon store I visit their employees were attentive to details and seemed to genuinely care about my situation. Never had a drop call or anything with them and no matter where I go I seem to be always connected.

eshef

Reaction score
Totally agree that AT&T is the pits. I had a contract with them and, to make a very long story short, it took me almost 4 months to get my first month's pre-pay back. Every time I called they had no record of any previous calls and the agent I had spoken with was "no longer there". They couldn't pay me to use them now. :angry: On the other hand, (knock on wood), my experiences with Verizon have all been positive. :icon_ lala:

screaminz2002

Reaction score
Wow Sprint must have come a long way from the " you signed a contract for two years so there's nothing you can do about it" attitude. I am surprised to see AT&T last though especially in Texas. There are still a lot of areas where AT&T is the only coverage for miles. Sprint used to be horrid here for spotty reception.