Consumer Confusion Over 4G Found in Study; 34% of iPhone Users Think They Have 4G

electric6

Reaction score
Sprint charges an extra 10 bucks a month for their 4g WiMAX data.

In regards to the confusion with the iPhone, I don't think it is only a customer ignorance deal. I work for Verizon as a salesman. When ordering accessories for the iPhone, some of the 3rd party faceplates and such, are labeled for the iphone 4G which is ridiculous if you ask me. I can't tell you how many times people come in, and after showing them the smartphones, they ask if the iphone is 4g

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using Tapatalk

Yes they ask if it is 4g but do they understand what they ask for or they just asking for the latest hot technobabble term. Most people buy smart phone in part for the same reason they buy cars. To look stylish.

agreed. Its kind of sad really. I use mine for work, because I need to have it. If i did not need it for work, I would have a regular phone. Most folks simply do not need a smartphone - and yet they pay over a 100 bucks a month to have one because some chick in the mall had the new iphone6g so they want one too.

buying a phone as a fashion statement seems hard to justify for something that is only seen when texting or talking, and even then it mostly veiled by the hands. Cars a different story.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
So, I can somewhat understand where people are getting the iPhone 4G mixed up with 4G service. Since Sprint, T-Mobile, & AT&T all have 4G in their 4G phone names (wonder why vzw doesn't). So one could get confused when talking to someone with a 4G named phone.

"OH I have the EVO 4G"
"Why does it have the 4G in it?"
"Cause all 4G phones have 4G in the name. EVO 4G, Inspire 4G, Sensation 4G"
"OH! That must mean my iPhone 4G has 4G!"

What confuses me is how BB users think they have 4G. None of their phones have 4G in the name.

Reaction score
buying a phone as a fashion statement seems hard to justify for something that is only seen when texting or talking, and even then it mostly veiled by the hands.

Really tell that to all the Phone skin kiosk booths in most malls? They have tons of glittery, animal print, hello kitty, sports team, goth, or god knows what other kinds of covers for your phone. Phone ARE a fashion statement, or a keep up with the Jones' statement, or a my dic...uh device is bigger then yours statement.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
So, I can somewhat understand where people are getting the iPhone 4G mixed up with 4G service. Since Sprint, T-Mobile, & AT&T all have 4G in their 4G phone names (wonder why vzw doesn't). So one could get confused when talking to someone with a 4G named phone.

"OH I have the EVO 4G"

What confuses me is how BB users think they have 4G. None of their phones have 4G in the name.

You would think that but it is called the iPhone 4....

bplewis24

Reaction score
Doesn't really make sense to ask people who actually do have 4G, and then compare them to people who have no chance of having 4G.

You're right. If they were trying to test confusion levels specifically, they should have polled everybody without 4G phones.

The average smartphone user (including members of this very forum) have no idea what any of these specs mean, nor do they care.

The average random user may be no smarter than the average random iOS user because the sample sizes are large enough to equal that out and the distribution of the sample size is actually larger on Android because of more users. But I have no doubt that if a proper study was taken, the arithemetic mean in IQ would be higher on Android and the top 15% would be significantly higher.

But I do agree with your general point that, there are just as many people who know nothing about smartphone technology that own Android phones as there are that own iOS phones.

Brandon

debdroid1a

Reaction score

"OH I have the EVO 4G"

Only on Verizon it's called that. The AT&T is iPhone4G. However, some people on Verizon probably don't realize it's the iPhone 4 (without a G). I was confused when they officially announced it coming to Verizon. I didn't know they were dropping the G. Probably so people would not get confused that it's not a 4G phone. So I could see other's confused too.

UNC

Reaction score

"OH I have the EVO 4G"

Only on Verizon it's called that. The AT&T is iPhone4G. However, some people on Verizon probably don't realize it's the iPhone 4 (without a G). I was confused when they officially announced it coming to Verizon. I didn't know they were dropping the G. Probably so people would not get confused that it's not a 4G phone. So I could see other's confused too.

To my knowledge it is even the iPhone 4 on AT&T. Not the iPhone 4g. But, since the previous incarnation was the "3g"s, people are confused and assumed that the "4" stood for "4g".

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Regardless of %'s I think this poll just shows most people don't care to take the time to learn about their phone. But like some have said before most people don't care about what is inside the phone so long as it does the job for their needs. It's the same with computers really, people do buy what is popular or what is affordable regardless of specs.

Reaction score

"OH I have the EVO 4G"

Ive NEVER heard the iPhone 4 called an iPhone 4G(except in ignorance). I'm looking at AT&T website right now and can't find such a reference.

nikecar

Reaction score
My boss one day...

Him: Can you look at my phone?
me: why? What did you do to it?
Him: I'm supposed to have 4G and its slow, it says 3G
me: That's because your phone is 3G
Him: no, they told me at the store its the iPhone 4G.
me: no, its the iPhone 4, not 4G, and the 4G is the speed, of which you are on 3g sicne Apple doesn't make 4G phones
Him: Why'd they lie like that?
me: They are ATT.

kparks

Reaction score

Ive NEVER heard the iPhone 4 called an iPhone 4G(except in ignorance). I'm looking at AT&T website right now and can't find such a reference.

Right when it was announced and right around launch everyone called it the Iphone 4G I remember even watching YouTube videos where they called it that

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score

Right when it was announced and right around launch everyone called it the Iphone 4G I remember even watching YouTube videos where they called it that

People probably thought that because its of the iPhone 3G.

But on every site, its put as the iPhone 4. And its clearly put that way.

UNC

Reaction score

People probably thought that because its of the iPhone 3G.

But on every site, its put as the iPhone 4. And its clearly put that way.

I love how your name is "DroidXdoes4g" and you're commenting on this! Irony?

Byakushiki

Reaction score
Try this one.
aefc2584-fa86-09be.jpg

That's my D2G on 4G :laugh:
Read'em and weep st-I mean applefanboys/girls!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums