Considering Droid with a Macbook Pro

speedball

Reaction score
I have a Blackberry on Verizon service. I have had various software problems with synching the BB on my Macbook Pro. However, for now it is finally synching OK (though the synching instructions are rather non-intuitive).

I of course would like for iPhone to be available on VZ, but so far no go. I am now taking a semi-serious look at the Android phones. I do not use Gmail for my principal messages but rather Apple Mail and Address Book, with iCal for calendar. Would I be making a mistake to get an Android-driven phone?

JLangevin

Reaction score
I used to have a Blackberry Storm and I currently own a MacBook Pro 15".... the blackberry never synced with my MacBook properly, however my Droid syncs with the macbook perfectly, the only downside is that I havent figured out how to get iTunes to sync to my device, not even sure if its possible, but I havent really tried too hard.

Blackberry has always been a nightmare to sync due to it requiring Desktop Manager... I hated that software.. The Mac version never worked properly on my phone.

OP
S

speedball

Reaction score
Thanks, JL. Do you use Apple Mail, Address Book, ICal for your messages, etc.? Or do you use Gmail or other Web-based systems?

JLangevin

Reaction score
I use a corporate MS Exchange Email, and only have Gmail for syncing of my Apps and Contacts. As far as the phone being able to talk to Mac, there have been no issues. My assumption for this being so easy is that Android phones are Linux based and Macs communicate really well with Linux.

For example, my work supplied Windows Mobile PDA does not communicate or play well with my Mac.

kenbarnum

Reaction score
I went through a painstakenly long process of syncing google address book (not a one time import) and syncing the calendar (which was not as hard as the address book) in order to prepare for my droid. When I got my Droid I then had everything ready but found that I never wanted to go into the mac apps anymore.

I started leaning towards just using the gmail and google cal since my browser is almost always open.

Got my droid the 1st november weekend it released and now I never use mac mail, mac address book or mac cal.

I know that's not all that much help for your exact request but you may find that you don't care about those programs any more...
However, if you are still using mac mail because you don't like gmail (I had to learn to like it) then the syncing capabilities are definitely there and I will post the links to how-to's tonight.

OP
S

speedball

Reaction score
Many thanks, Ken. I am always a bit hesitant to get tied to any one online source, so I use Google only for a couple of low-volume e-mail addresses. So it is not likely I will go for a full changeover until there.

But it would be really great if you can post the links to the how-to's on synching the Apple apps. Thanks in advance.....

kenbarnum

Reaction score
Many thanks, Ken. I am always a bit hesitant to get tied to any one online source, so I use Google only for a couple of low-volume e-mail addresses. So it is not likely I will go for a full changeover until there.

But it would be really great if you can post the links to the how-to's on synching the Apple apps. Thanks in advance.....

Speedball...I thought I still had a bookmark for both but don't...
I have a 2.5 yr old and a 1 month old so I can't search all night...
Try searching "sync apple address book with google". You will need to find the trick to make it think you have an iPhone. When you make the mac think you have one you will see the sync with google option.
The calendar is much easier...Just google that.
I'm sorry! I thought I had it saved and would give it to you if I still did!
Good luck

chanatown

Reaction score
Although I can't speak for the iCal, Mail, etc., I can say that I used DoubleTwist to sync music with a MBP and the Droid X, and although it wasn't flawless, it worked. I plan to move pictures over manually (didn't see DT support for Mac/iPhoto yet) via the SD card eventually.

I use Gmail as my primary email account, so needless to say, the contacts, calendar, and email sync have been a breeze with this native Google device.

OP
S

speedball

Reaction score
Thanks, all. The Google search term will be helpful. It's already helpful to know that it is out there. I am a bit concerned with relying on workarounds (tricking the MBP to think I have an iPhone) as they can be lost from version to version of software (I am a photographer and I have seen it with Adobe software).

But many thanks anyway, and good luck with the wee ones...lots of fun ahead!