D

Droid1610

Reaction score
Yes per the MOTODEV spec site it says latest OS is 2.3.4

OP
D

Droid1610

Reaction score
so a quick question about the D3 and it having DDR2 ram... does this mean it will perform as fast as a phone with a GIG of ram? The reason I ask is because alot of people were saying that because this phone ships with only 512 ram its a lack luster device...

Im new to alot of these terms and or data so I'm just trying to learn as much as possible TIA.

haproot

Reaction score

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
the chipset alone dictates ddr2 ram. ie, to have TI OMAP4 is to have ddr2 ram. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-3/157505-some-info-omap4430.html

Nice! Well I just ordered it. I plan on giving it a chance before the Bionic is released, if it doesn't seem as future proof as I would like it to be, i'll take a hit on a restock fee when the Bionic rolls out.

Live in Montana, so no 4g here for at least a few years lol.

Verizon says 4g will be everywhere by end of next year at the latest

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

haproot

Reaction score
This might be a little stupid on my part, but could someone explain this from Motorola's website: "MEMORY: 16GB on board. up to 32GB microSD card removable for a total of up to 48GB of total memory"

Here I got all excited about 16GB onboard when everyone else is confirming 512MB...

DROID 3 Android Smartphone by Motorola - Thin QWERTY Dual Core Phone - - Tech Specs - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA

16gb of storage for pics, texts, emails, apps, etc.. adding an SD card will give you more space.
512mb of Random Access Memory to run programs in.

Like a computer with a 300gb hard drive and 2gb of RAM.
The 300gb is for your files
the 2gb is for running the Operating System and Applications/Games

Immolate

Reaction score
This might be a little stupid on my part, but could someone explain this from Motorola's website: "MEMORY: 16GB on board. up to 32GB microSD card removable for a total of up to 48GB of total memory"

Here I got all excited about 16GB onboard when everyone else is confirming 512MB...

DROID 3 Android Smartphone by Motorola - Thin QWERTY Dual Core Phone - - Tech Specs - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA

So your phone needs some memory that it uses that is very close to the processor and is very fast, lightning fast. That's the 512MB. It is RAM and it is volatile, which means it disappears when you turn off your phone.

It also needs a place to store the operating system and native applications, and since these files will be accessed quite often, it's best to put them on the fastest static and non-volatile memory it can. That's the internal memory that is 16GB, and that memory is "built in" and faster than removable memory. What is extraordinary about the D3 is that I haven't seen another phone with more than 8GB internal. That's a whole lot of fast storage.

The micro-SD is the slowest, but also cheapest. D3 doesn't come with any, but you can buy it and add it, and every day that 32GB card gets a little cheaper. If you have to cheap out on anything, the micro-SD is the place to go.

I'm coming from a Tbolt which is 8GB internal and 32GB external, and I would rather have 16GB internal and no card. You can't add to that so you're stuck with what the phone comes with.

I hope the D3 comes off as a smoking fast device in real world use and I expect it will. I'm pretty stoked to get mine tomorrow and play with it.

KuddlKat

Reaction score
So did the D1 have the same setup: internal RAM, internal storage and external storage? I always thought that internal was a little small since I had to keep moving apps from internal storage to the µSD card just so I'd have enough room to run programs.

haproot

Reaction score
So did the D1 have the same setup: internal RAM, internal storage and external storage? I always thought that internal was a little small since I had to keep moving apps from internal storage to the µSD card just so I'd have enough room to run programs.

My Droid 1 with CyanogenMod shows my total internal memory being at 262mb, so that has moved up to 16gb on the Droid 3, and the RAM was 226mb going to 512mb on the Droid 3.

External depends on what size sdcard you use. Not sure if the capacity limit has changed.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
16gb of storage for pics, texts, emails, apps, etc.. adding an SD card will give you more space.
512mb of Random Access Memory to run programs in.

Like a computer with a 300gb hard drive and 2gb of RAM.
The 300gb is for your files
the 2gb is for running the Operating System and Applications/Games

Not the best comparison, but its close.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Raptor007

Reaction score
So I guess I will be greatly disappointed when mine arrives and it replaces my Droid Charge. Nope, I will be happy. SmartPhones are all about balance and one persons needs are not the same as the next.

If you want a keyboard, higher res screen, HD video recording, bigger display but not a giant bulge in your hands. To say the specs on this phone are terrible is a bit uninformed. Everyone is stuck on 4G LTE, yeah until you have to reboot your LTE phone to get a signal. Wait a year on 4G LTE they WILL get better.

This is a solid phone.

jaycbrf4

Reaction score
After my new every two and a customer service screw up... I got 2 d3's for $53 shipped to my door. They gave me 2 free kickstand cases and 2 car chargers for the screw up they made. ( I was offered a buy 1 get 1 for $149 but the promo ended and the order got cancelled. I called cust service and got the guy that offered me the BOGO, he apologized and gave me the offer anyway, after my $100 new every two, the phones came to $53.)

Traded in old phones for 2 $100 gift cards... After the upgrade, I have 2 D3's and $147 cash towards my bill..