Confirmed specs on the Droid 3

Droid1610

Reaction score
So I called up Verizon this morning and talked to a guy in Tech Support I explained that I have done a lot of research and found out that the Droid 3 is being released tomorrow and he said that is correct I went on to ask him some of the specifics on the phones and they are as follow:

Android OS Gingerbread 2.3
512 Ram (27% faster then Droid 2)
16GB onboard memory expandable to 32GB
8Meg Camera
3G

He went over the other details that have already been touched on and confirmed in pictures:

5 row QWERTY
4 inch screen
Aluminum trim
Textured rubber back

I'm elegible now to get an upgrade and he said with my $50 new every 2 credit the phone will cost me $149.99 shipped to my door

Everything sounds good to me and the way I look at it is I've been more then happy with my Droid 1 so anything is better. I wish it had 4G but ill wait for that to be expanded and worked through a little better, I have amazing 3G service where I live so I'm fine with another 3G phone.

I just wanted to share what I found out I don't post here to often so I hope this is not double info...

-Drew

Fuzzball

Reaction score
Thanks for getting the specs from the horse's mouth. This is the first confirmation I've seen that it indeed has 512MB of RAM. IMHO, it's pretty disappointing that it doesn't have more RAM and Moto decided this wasn't going to be a high-end device worthy of Webtop; if it had 1GB+ of RAM, I'd be quite interested and Webtop would make me more interested.

OP
D

Droid1610

Reaction score
Yea I wish it was a Top end phone with new features and all but for what I do for a living (construction worker) and what I do on my phone this seems like enough of an upgrade to justify getting one.

I'm not sure if I will order mine tomorrow site unseen or wait till next week and play with it in person at the corporate store and then decide from there if I buy it...

I'm used to having the newsest and best "Top Teir" stuff (cars, bikes, phones, tv's, game systems etc...) but I'm starting to change a little because I'm starting to realize its not getting me anywhere but further in debt lol and with just getting married and trying to save money for a house and eventually babies I need to slow down on my free spending. Anyway enough of that all I'm saying is based on the stats of this device it looks like a worthy device to get me somewhat current and a new phone to play with..

experiment626

Reaction score
What type of RAM is the 512? I know there was a lot of speculation that Motorola was going with DDR2, which would have been nice.

Zog

Reaction score
You forgot to mention it has a dual core, and higher resolution qhd pentile display. Personally, I hate pentile screens.

They completely botched the hardware in this phone. The only thing it has going for it is the 5 row keyboard (who needs one) and slightly faster processing and graphics. 27% is barely noticeable if u overclocked the d2/dx, and only 30% over the already terrible PowerVR SGX530 in the D2Global is quite a disappointment. The 540 in the galaxy and ip4 are better.

Not a wise choice for an upgrade from a d2 or dx.

Gingercomb :: Liberty v8

OP
D

Droid1610

Reaction score
HOLD UP! I just called back to confirm that the phone has the Dual Core and it does! So that's cool she also confirmed that it has an HD display with yada yada resolution and 4 inch touch screen. While I had the lady on the phone who didn't seem to know much about specifics on phones and was litterally reading the info off of her computer screen she reads to me that it has and "1 ghz dual core processor" and I said wait your screen specifically says that it has 1 ghz and she yes I'm reading it right from my phones specification screen...

SO it looks like the phone will not have 512 but 1 gig let's hope I'm not being lied to since the phone is not "released" yet but we will see tomorrow.

Zog

Reaction score
1 ghz is the clock speed of the processor. Not 1gb of memory, sigh.

buckmarble

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I just hope it has the unlockable bootloader

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
D

Droid1610

Reaction score
1 ghz is the clock speed of the processor. Not 1gb of memory, sigh.

Ok so there was some confusion on my part. Why do you say the Droid 3 is not a wise upgrade from my D1? I leave my phones stock I don't brick, break, crack or hack my phones so it seems to me having double the ram and a dual core which my D1 doesn't have it would be plenty fast and be perfectly fine to upgrade to.

Maybe with some insite from Droid and general phone savvy people I can learn some stuff.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its a good upgrade from a d1, not a d2 he was saying.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Maverick0984

Reaction score
Thanks for getting the specs from the horse's mouth. This is the first confirmation I've seen that it indeed has 512MB of RAM. IMHO, it's pretty disappointing that it doesn't have more RAM and Moto decided this wasn't going to be a high-end device worthy of Webtop; if it had 1GB+ of RAM, I'd be quite interested and Webtop would make me more interested.

The only reason any of Motorola's phones have 1GB of RAM, is because of Webtop. Those phones that DO have Webtop, only allow 512MB of RAM to be used by the main OS. So what this means to the average user? All of Motorola's phones have 512MB of usable RAM for the main OS. You can be upset that it doesn't have more than 512MB, but no Motorola phone does have > 512MB of usable RAM for the main OS. All indications are saying the Bionic will be the same. It may have 1GB of RAM, but only 512MB of it will be usable.

Honestly, the Webtop stuff the Atrix shipped with was entirely underwhelming. That is a non-factor completely in my decision process.

You forgot to mention it has a dual core, and higher resolution qhd pentile display. Personally, I hate pentile screens.

They completely botched the hardware in this phone. The only thing it has going for it is the 5 row keyboard (who needs one) and slightly faster processing and graphics. 27% is barely noticeable if u overclocked the d2/dx, and only 30% over the already terrible PowerVR SGX530 in the D2Global is quite a disappointment. The 540 in the galaxy and ip4 are better.

Not a wise choice for an upgrade from a d2 or dx.

Sigh.

The RAM is 27% faster, the CPU is much much faster then 27%. You overclock a CPU, not the RAM. As far as I know, there is absolutely nothing you can do to RAM to make it go faster on these phones. I think you're confused a bit :-/ This phone will blow a D2 or DX out of the water. It just sounds to me like you're trying to convince yourself that your Droid X is still relevant.

Fuzzball

Reaction score
The only reason any of Motorola's phones have 1GB of RAM, is because of Webtop. Those phones that DO have Webtop, only allow 512MB of RAM to be used by the main OS. So what this means to the average user? All of Motorola's phones have 512MB of usable RAM for the main OS. You can be upset that it doesn't have more than 512MB, but no Motorola phone does have > 512MB of usable RAM for the main OS. All indications are saying the Bionic will be the same. It may have 1GB of RAM, but only 512MB of it will be usable.

Honestly, the Webtop stuff the Atrix shipped with was entirely underwhelming. That is a non-factor completely in my decision process.

My post wasn't phrased clearly, but your post is good information for those that are unaware. I was hoping for more than 512MB of RAM for the OS in this phone. That alone would make me jump. I'm guessing 1GB would keep me in the clear for a couple of years. I know that 512MB won't last me for very long; I have some apps that are useful to have running in the background and the bloatware that never gets used gets a higher priority of who gets to stay in RAM. I don't like to void my warranty and root right out of the box to correct this. With my rooted D1 with the bloat deleted, I am feeling the crunch and I'd rather not spend a lot of money on a phone that I know I have a good chance of repeating this situation after a year or less of ownership.

Webtop is definitely not for everybody and I believe it needs to mature a bit more. However, I am a unique case in that I have a use for it. Also, there are some interesting things they're doing with Webtop over on XDA that show a lot of potential. I would like to have Webtop and the additional dedicated RAM for it, so 1.5GB total on the phone is what I would be looking for. I have read elsewhere that Webtop has 512MB of RAM set aside for it and honestly I would have expected that Moto be able to let the Android OS manage all of the RAM instead.

All in all, I was hoping for > 512MB of RAM for the OS and application plus have Webtop. One or the other would have been an ok compromise, but neither makes pulling the trigger on $200 a bit more difficult. The slower speed and lesser features of a free D2G w/ contract renewal or a used one for cheap seems a little more appealing while I wait for something better. Though, I'm interested to see how well everyone likes the D3 and how much bloat VZW decided to pump into it.

KidCuda

Reaction score
So do we know exactly what version of Gingerbread it has? 2.3, 2.3.3., 2.3.4? Hopefully 2.3.4

OP
D

Droid1610

Reaction score
So do we know exactly what version of Gingerbread it has? 2.3, 2.3.3., 2.3.4? Hopefully 2.3.4

As of right now I personally don't but I just ordered 2 of the D3's and they will be delivered tomorrow before 3 so if this thread is not updated before then ill post up once I get through the set up of the new phone and can get into the software details.

One thing I'm slightly concerned about is this "pentile" display I don't want this screen to be lower quality then my D1 since after all this is an upgrade. I'm curious if there are any other phones currently in stores that have the pentile displays that I could go see how it looks? If there is I might stop by on my way home.