ComputerWorld.com - Droid (5 out of 5 stars)

mwinne

Reaction score
Am I the only one who's camera works perfectly fine? I have no focus issues at all.

I press the capture button lightly, it focuses (takes about 1 second or less) and then i press it fully.. and voila! a great picture. IDK...

Best I can tell you are the only one.

BigTex71

Reaction score
My camera focuses fine. But unless it is in bright sunlight, the pic looks hazy and/or grainy. The video, on the other hand, looks great.

G

Grimster

Droid camera a "step up" from iphone 3gs?????

NONSENSE!!!!! This reviewer have no idea what he is talking about.

The Iphone camera is far superior to the Droid. The 5mp camera on the Droid is one of the most complained about feature of the phone. The 5mp sensor they use is too desnse of pixels which make for poor low light shots, the clarity of the Droid camera is a step down from Iphone.

The reviewer has no idea what he is talking about.

G

Grimster

Keith Shaw is a marketing fraud. He knows NOTHING about phones or the hardware they are disgned with..

The article should be dismissed and removed from this website.

Kevin8se7en

Reaction score
Am I the only one who's camera works perfectly fine? I have no focus issues at all.

I press the capture button lightly, it focuses (takes about 1 second or less) and then i press it fully.. and voila! a great picture. IDK...

Best I can tell you are the only one.

Maybe, but my battery overheats so I got I must return the only proper working camera Droid now lol.

Droid camera a "step up" from iphone 3gs?????

NONSENSE!!!!! This reviewer have no idea what he is talking about.

The Iphone camera is far superior to the Droid. The 5mp camera on the Droid is one of the most complained about feature of the phone. The 5mp sensor they use is too desnse of pixels which make for poor low light shots, the clarity of the Droid camera is a step down from Iphone.

The reviewer has no idea what he is talking about.

The camera on the iPhone sucks. Maybe it's because my Droid's camera worked fine, but it definitely has a better camera than the iPhone. I'm assuming the Droid's camera needs some software update for the focus or whatnot and it will be a lot better.

Hows the camera on the Eris?
I believe they have a similar camera, so if the Eris takes good pictures, then the Droid should, once the focus issues are solved.. plus the Flash will most likely help.

G

Grimster

Hows the camera on the Eris?
I believe they have a similar camera, so if the Eris takes good pictures, then the Droid should, once the focus issues are solved.. plus the Flash will most likely help.
I really hope you are not serious....the Eris is not made by Motorola and uses a completely different camera. Thats just like saying the iphone and droid are the same phones because they are cell phones.

Papasmurf

Reaction score
Not for nothing, but is there a reason that you are praising the Iphone? If its so much better then why are you here on the droid forum? I get it that you just wanna state that the camera is better, but the droid just came out and they still have bugs to work out. Iphone has been around for awhile and still has many flaws to it that should've been fixed already. It doesn't even have a flash! I'm just saying there shouldn't be any crazy bashing about this phone until it's had time to grow. All and all its great out the box.

hazydave

Reaction score
I'm not convinced of the inferiority of the DROID camera a as anything but software. Here are the best specs I could find on this, versus the iPhone camera:

DROID (supposedly)
sensor: Kodak KAC-05020, 1/4", 5Mpixel, 1.4µm² pixel size,
TrueSense color filter, ISO to 3200
Kodak revolutionizes image capture with new CMOS sensor
lens: f2.8, autofocus

iPhone
sensor: Micron MT9D112D00STC, 1/4", 2Mpixel, 2.2µm² pixel size
standard Bayer color filter, 10-bit ADC
http://www.framos.eu/uploads/media/mt9d112_1__1__01.pdf
lens: 4 Element Plastic, f2.8 (fixed), fixed focus

iPhone 3GS
sensor: Omnivision OV3630 1/4", 3.2Mpixel, 1.75µm² pixel size,
standard Bayer color filter, 10-bit ADC
lens: f2.8 (fixed), autofocus

Now, first, the reason none of these are your real camera. I have a Nikon D70 around here somewhere... hardly a new model. It has a very large 6Mpixel sensor, with a pixel size of 58.7µm². A typical pocket P&S camera will have a sensor around 1/1.8"-1/2.5", with pixel sizes around 4µm², give or take (that's about what you'll find on a 10Mpixel camera). These cameras are also typically using 12-bit or 14-bit DACs, not just 10-bit... more dynamic range. If it's not obvious, sensor size has a huge impact on the sensitivity of the camera... that's the area that collects light for each pixel.

Of course, aperture (the amount of light that can enter the lens) is also important, but all three phones offer f2.8 lenses. That's rather weak for a non-zoom, but obviously, size is critical in a phone camera.

From the chart, it appears that the DROID should off noticeably worse low-light performance than the iPhone, if not necessarily worse bright light performance. This may be true... it certainly seems to be an issue today. But it may also be based on software.

Kodak makes big claims for their TrueSense technology, which is actually both the sensor and the color filter. Most CMOS sensors use an enhancement mode, NMOS sensor arrary, but Kodak is claiming their use of a PMOS, depletion mode sensor array improves things, by dramatically lowering noise (largely based on pixel to pixel crosstalk). I'm not yet convinced. The difference is that the "majority carrier" in an NMOS device is the electron... that makes sense. But in PMOS, it's the "hole" ... technically, the absence of an electron. It's weird, but it really does work out.

The other thing in this technology is the color filter. Each sensor in any normal CMOS or CCD can only sense in monochrome, not color. To get color, you typically add filters. Dr. Bayer, a guy from Kodak many years ago, came with this is pattern (where each letter is one pixel):

RGRGRGRGRGRGR
GBGBGBGBGBGBG
RGRGRGRGRGRGR
GBGBGBGBGBGBG

and so on. Thus, 1/4 filters are blue, 1/4 red, and 1/2 green... green being visually the more important color. Software interpolates the extra colors from the neighbors to create all RGB pixels. The Kodak sensor changes one green filter to white (eg, no filter), and treats that as uncolored luminance information only. That's a powerful idea... each filter cuts out 2/3 of the light, so changing 1/4 of the pixels to white should effectively give you twice the luminance capture without a big difference in color information.

Of course, software is a big deal here... ensuring the sensor isn't always shooting at ISO3200. According to the photo set I shot last weekend, I'm always at f2.8 (probably fixed there), and I see auto-ISO set at ISO57, ISO65, and ISO200, with exposures between 1/1030 sec and 1/10 sec.

Assuming I got the right info on the sensor, this sensor is also in the Motorola ZN5.
Motorola ZN5 test photos
Those shots might be just a bit better than anything I've seen on the DROID... yet. But maybe there's hope. The noise zooomed in looks of a similar nature (some JPEG artifacts, but other noise, too), but it's WAY more pronounced on the DROID. Maybe this improved via tweaking... one can hope.