Droid 3 officially becomes official!

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
droid-3.png

Today Verizon Wireless has announced the Motorola Droid 3 will be landing July 14th at a store near you for $199 with the typical 2 year agreement. The third generation of the Droid includes some very nice upgrades including a 4" qHD screen, dual core 1Ghz processor, 8MB rear camera with 1080p video capture, Global Capabilities, 5-row slide out QWERTY Keyboard and the latest version of Android aka Gingerbread. For more discussions on the Droid 3, be sure to check out our Droid 3 Forum.

Full Press Release Below:
BASKING RIDGE, N.J., and LIBERTYVILLE, Ill. – Verizon Wireless and Motorola Mobility, Inc. (NYSE: MMI), today announced the new Android™-powered DROID 3 by Motorola, a global smartphone that delivers power for work and play without making compromises.

DROID 3 by Motorola is the world’s thinnest full QWERTY smartphone, and still delivers the power of a dual-core 1 GHz processor for fast multi-tasking. Customers can take stunning photos with the 8-megapixel camera or capture the moment in 1080p HD video. Equipped with Android 2.3, the DROID 3 by Motorola features a brilliant 4-inch qHD display, a roomy 5-row QWERTY keyboard and 3G Mobile Hotspot capabilities, with the ability to connect up to five Wi-Fi-enabled devices. DROID 3 by Motorola delivers the power needed to conquer the day whether customers are at home, work or somewhere in between.

Additional features:
· Powered by Android™ 2.3 Gingerbread
· Mirror mode allows you to view and share photos, videos and movies on a larger TV via HDMI output (requires HDMI cable)
· Global ready, allowing customers to enjoy wireless voice and data service in more than 200 countries, including more than 125 with 3G speeds
· Enterprise ready with advanced security policies, device and SD card encryption, complex password support, remote data wipe of device and SD card; document and presentation viewing and editing with Quickoffice®
· Citrix® GoToMeeting® for Android, gives users the ability to attend online meetings while on-the-go, and Citrix Receiver® for Android, a universal software client that allows companies to deliver corporate apps, desktops and data to any corporate- or employee-owned device
· ESP smart dock technology for a tailored experience based on whether DROID 3 is docked in home, office or car settings
· Adobe® Flash® Player 10
· Front-facing camera for still shots and video chat
· Video playback in 1080p HD in mirror mode

Pricing and availability:
· DROID 3 by Motorola is now available online at Cell Phones - Smartphones: Cell Phone Service, Accessories - Verizon Wireless, and will be available in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores by July 14 for $199.99 with a new two-year customer agreement.

· Customers that purchase a DROID 3 will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan and a smartphone data package. New Verizon Wireless customers will have the option of smartphone plans starting at $30 for 2GB of data. Current Verizon Wireless smartphone customers who are upgrading their smartphone can keep their current data plan.

Big Lou

Reaction score
No 4G and the fact that I'm grandfathered in for 4G with no additional charge when I upgrade makes this a no-buy.

Also, isn't the RAM kind of low?

nikecar

Reaction score
No 4G and the fact that I'm grandfathered in for 4G with no additional charge when I upgrade makes this a no-buy.

Also, isn't the RAM kind of low?
there isn't a difference in VZW with 4G/3G when it comes to the plan. its the data plan for smartphones.

moset

Reaction score
So, if it will be years before 4G comes to my area why wait for Bionic? Bigger screen? Anything else?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Sweettooth

Reaction score
I think what he means is that he likely grandfathered into the unlimited plan, as am I. Meaning that when we upgrade to a new phone we'll still have unlimited data, so why not get a 4G phone and enjoy unrestricted high speed data? Motorola shot themselves in the foot in that respect. Every phone moving forward, starting with the last set of devices, should be 4G capable. If they want to control data consumption, throttle/limit the overall speeds, not the number of handsets that are capable of those speeds.

johnnieeve

Reaction score
I was very much thinking the D3 would replace my original Droid. But, Verizon's own advertising and promoting of their 4g (10 times faster than 3g?), along with their expected 2011 4g coverage map, makes the D3 too little, to late for me. I live in Seattle and Las Vegas, both 4g hotspots. Geez Verizon. Do I have to wait another year for a decent slider 4g phone?

Vito.a

Reaction score
I am not in a 4G area and we probably will not see it for several years, so this phone looks pretty good.