Motorola Droid X2 available online May 19th!

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
motorola-droid-x2.jpeg

BASKING RIDGE, N.J., and LIBERTYVILLE, Ill. – Verizon Wireless and Motorola Mobility, Inc. (NYSE: MMI), today announced the second-generation DROID X2 by Motorola, designed for the consumer who does everything on their smartphone.

Fly through the Web with the DROID X2, which boasts Verizon Wireless’ first dual-core 1 GHz processor for fast webpage loading and Adobe® Flash® Player, allowing Verizon Wireless customers to experience rich content online. The 4.3-inch scratch-resistant and anti-reflective qHD display delivers a sharp, clear view ideal for watching movies, typing emails and playing your favorite games. Never miss a moment using the 8-megapixel camera with continuous autofocus and stunning HD video capture. Use the new Gallery app to view, tag and post photos on sites like Flickr® and Facebook®, all from one place.

Additional features:
· Powered by Android 2.2, to be updated to Android 2.3
· Mirror Mode allows you to view and share your photos, videos and downloaded movies on a larger TV via HDMI output
· Enterprise-ready with security and IT-grade policies, allowing you to use your DROID X2 for work and play
· Support for Google™ Mobile Services, including Gmail™, YouTube™, Google Talk™, Google Search™ and Google Maps™, as well as access to more than 200,000 apps available to download from Android Market™
· Mobile Hotspot capability, allowing you to share your 3G connection with up to five Wi-Fi-enabled devices
· Virtual QWERTY keyboard featuring SWYPE technology for quick and easy typing of messages and emails

Pricing and availability:
· The DROID X2 will be available online at Cell Phones - Smartphones: Cell Phone Service, Accessories - Verizon Wireless on May 19 and in Verizon Wireless Communication Stores on May 26 for $199.99 with a new two-year customer agreement.

· DROID X2 customers will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan and a smartphone data package. Nationwide Talk plans begin at $39.99 for monthly access and an unlimited smartphone data plan is $29.99 for monthly access.

MarkO

Reaction score
Hmmm, quite the dillema. Dual Core, but no front facing camera and no LTE.... Pricepoint is fair, but I think I'm going to have to go with the Charge or the Revolution

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
If I were coming to Verizon right now, like I did when the DroidX was released last July, I would get this phone. Most people turn off 4G because it drains the battery so fast. 3G is more than acceptable for 99% of stuff. Even the 4G commercials show no real use for it other than its fast.

As for front facing cameras, lets look at the real use of it. Do you want to hold your phone up in front of you to talk, no. Your arm will get tired, period. Do you ever want to use built in speaker phones on phones. Hell no. They never work well, sound bad and the person on the other side rarely hears you. Do you want to go and find a place to sit and prop up your phone to use video chat? no. Whats the point of a cell phone/wireless phone if you have to go sit at a table. Sure, maybe its useful if you travel a ton for work and want to see your kids.

Frankly, 4G is so limited in coverage and the uses are so slip for video chat, its pointless. If those two useless features deter you from the phone, so be it, but you are passing up on a great phone for two sales point features and nothing else.

I've taken some AMAZING photos with my DX so I'm betting the camera on this one will be good to (I heard its been changed for faster shutter and capture time). Its got an amazing screen. The new one should have a better one for outside viewing. My DX gets SO light in sunlight. I have no intention on getting rid of my DX for the DX2. My phone is still a VERY good phone. If you are just now getting a chance to upgrade, I would recommend you snag this phone. Froyo or Gingerbread, its all good. GB will be on it soon and frankly, its a very very small reason to pass on it.

blboyd

Reaction score
I've been looking to upgrade from my Droid1. I specifically want a powerhouse of a phone. After I bought my Droid I realized just how much time I spend on it.

The DroidX was an amazing phone and now the X2 looks even better. This just might be the phone for me. I don't care about the front-facing camera but I do wish it had 4G.

I want to handle one in a VZW store before I pull the trigger.

Brandon

jodyberry

Reaction score
I agree totally about the FFC.

Also, I love my DX and don't know if it's worth the upgrade. I think I'm one opf the few that actually likes the physical camera button. I take a ton of pics and it's a lot easier to hold down the red button, than to go through menus and screens. Especially if it's a quick shot I'm trying to get.

As for front facing cameras, lets look at the real use of it. Do you want to hold your phone up in front of you to talk, no. Your arm will get tired, period. Do you ever want to use built in speaker phones on phones. Hell no. They never work well, sound bad and the person on the other side rarely hears you. Do you want to go and find a place to sit and prop up your phone to use video chat? no. Whats the point of a cell phone/wireless phone if you have to go sit at a table. Sure, maybe its useful if you travel a ton for work and want to see your kids.

Beka27

Reaction score
FFC is a gimmick IMO. I think people make a big stink about having it, but then a large percentage of those WITH it rarely use it.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Sure being faster and a ffc aren't that big a deal to some people NOW, but you're going to be stuck with this thing for 20 months. Even if you don't video chat they're working on using ffc for head tracking when you play games and such so who knows what you might be able to use it for in the next 2 years. Also, I'm sure that extra bandwidth will be useful in the coming years also.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

techRob

Reaction score
@Johnomaz ... I agree with just about everything, buuuuttt...... You can prop the phone up in front of you some how - on the desk at an angle is very doable. If the DX has a doc like the OG has, then you can simply drop it in its cradle, and go to town. I haven't had any issues with speakerphone on mine - my friend and I both on speakerphone no less. However, as I slightly eluded to, I have an OG Droid, and have no experience with the DX - so my words may be worthless in this case :D

But this sounds like it's on the right path for a high-end corporate phone IMHO ((hint hint - if my colleagues are reading)) ....

For a personal phone, I'd like the convenience / novelty of having the front face cam :)

Wetzilla

Reaction score
As much as I'd like an LTE phone, right now it's not a priority. There's only two LTE phones right now, the charge and Thunderbolt, and while the reviews are mixed on the battery life of the charge, for the thunderbolt it's just terrible. I'm not willing to trade battery life for the possibility of better speeds when I'm in one of the limited LTE areas. And while Verizon will be expanding LTE, I'm willing to take the chance that it won't be very widespread within the next 20 months. Until I have LTE at work and home, I don't really care. I would also never use a FFC, so I don't really care about that either.

The main things I'm interested in is the quality of the screen and the memory. If ti doesn't have 1 gig of memory it's a no go. And with the other phone I'm interested in being the galaxy s 2, I'm hoping the extra resolution makes up for the fact it's not a samoled+. However, I am a bit worried about the resolution too, as I've heard a lot of apps and games aren't compatible with it, and get messed up.

Oh, and the whole locked bootloader thing is pretty important too. If I can't get CM on it, there's no way I will be buying it.

kdkinc

Reaction score
I'm looking a the DX2 because of the new screen and better camera.
However, before I even think about it seriously its must be "rooted". Then Droid Recovery tool has to be able to do its thing.

My next hold back would be.
Will buying the DX2 be like buying a Ford Edsel ?
I want to buy it out right but after one year will the resale be crappy because its not a LTE devise? I believe the answer is yes. In one year LTE will very widely spread across the U.S.

I agree with the OP LTE is a nice thing but at what cost time wise and money wise.

Almost on the fence but may wait see how it develops Rom and theme wise.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
@wetzilla yeah I definitely don't think you'll be getting this then. The phones with unlockable bootloaders won't be out until the second half of the year.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

chris420o

Reaction score
no lte no ffc is a big let down...i dont understand why verizon promotes its lte so much when it doesnt have any phones except 2 that use it...and those phones are built with year old tech...like really verizon? realllly?

and all u talkin about no ffc are buggin...every phone should have it standard from now on...even if you dont use it...we need our droids superior to iphones in every way

kdkinc

Reaction score
Maybe its time to forget about MoTo and lock them out.
LG maybe coming out soon with a rocket ship phone hopefully.
Their getting serious
If half of what the LG chick says is correct.

mthorn79

Reaction score
Wow this thing looks & has almost the exact same specs as the original X, I mean it still has Froyo for godsake!! I understand my T-bolt doesn't have GB yet either but then again it was released 4 mo. earlier too, so you'd think they'd go ahead & preload the X2 with GB already on it. Also everyone is saying "egh I don't need 4G" but the fact 3G is already starting to become outdated already makes this phone outdated from the get go. Why not make it a true update over the X & make it 4G with a better battery, GB & whynot go ahead & put it a step ahead & make it a 1.2 or 1.3 dual core?

As far as the front facing camera goes, like someone said earlier, how are you going to prop your phone up IE: no kickstand, so they must've realized it's useless in that aspect.

Oh & the kicker, it still has JotoBlur. Motorola still hasn't realize this is a deal breaker for most customers & it sounds like they never will.

I'll stick with my Tbolt & live with the battery drain over the X2 which is really no upgrade besides the dual core & gig of ram, but as long as JotoBlur is on it those specs will mean nothing.

Robbed99

Reaction score
did the DX really need to be upgrade right away? Why not wait a couple more months, work out the LTE -battery issues, etc....

Yea, I know @ the duo core, better screen, etc. etc.

Love my DX and considered upgrading to DX2 if it was 4g, etc...I think I'm passing onthe DX2 for now but am looking forward to user reviews here!!!