Computer won't see tablet in download mode; how to root?

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 SCH-i905, stuck back on Honeycomb, CWM Recovery is installed but tablet won't boot into recovery from key combos, and I can't root because computers don't see the tablet when it's in download mode.
Is there any way to root without PC?
At this point I'd even settle for getting back to a stock newer ROM (I think it was on 4.04) but I'd prefer to have a working recovery mode (stock recovery never worked).
Any help appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Do you have Samsung Kies installed on your PC? It will install the required drivers needed for your computer to recognize your device.

Alternatively, you can boot into Download Mode and then plug your tablet into your PC which should prompt a driver download.

OP
PhoenixGTR

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
Drivers aren't the problem. Kies was rather useless, since it wouldn't get past the splash screen, but I downloaded drivers from Samsung's site. There were two packages, one specific to the tablet and one general. The former wouldn't open after download do I had to use the latter.
The PC sees the tablet and can transfer files, and Heimdall device check sees it when it's on. But not when it's in Download mode. Neither Odin nor Heimdall see it then (tried several versions of each).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I didn't think Heimdall was supported anymore? Are you launching Odin as the Administrator?

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Do you have the tablet in Debugging mode?

OP
PhoenixGTR

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
Launching everything as administrator, yes. The tablet is set to debugging mode, but doesn't it bypass the OS when in download mode?

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
Launching everything as administrator, yes. The tablet is set to debugging mode, but doesn't it bypass the OS when in download mode?
In theory it should yes. To begin with. There are two versions of Kies. One for newer OS and one for older devices. You should be running 2.6 I believe. And you say you can't access the recovery mode?? I would perform an FDR on the device first then try and connect to Odin. I can assist you step by step and help as much as I can!

You can message me here or on hangouts would be better! ;)

Reactions: cr6