Compcache(and tempmonitor!)-enabled kernels?

bodean

Reaction score
What does the "IV" stand for in the list of kernels? I know LV/ low voltage, SV/Standard Voltage, but what is IV? Interactive?

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
What does the "IV" stand for in the list of kernels? I know LV/ low voltage, SV/Standard Voltage, but what is IV?

Increasing voltage.

At lower clock speeds, it is near the voltage of a low voltage kernel. As it goes up, the voltage also goes up too. At the top clock speed, it is near a increased voltage kernel. This allows people with processors who aren't so lucky to have cool temps and better battery life while the phone is idle, but still hit those high clock speeds.

undroid

Reaction score
confused on this compcache thing. i thought it was supposed to carve out some of your memory and then use that as compressed swap partition. android has a total of 256 ram so when i have compcache enabled i see:

# free
free
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 231520 228548 2972 0 100
Swap: 20472 19512 960
Total: 251992 248060 3932

with compcache disabled:

# free
free
Mem: 231520 218052 13468 0 684
Swap: 0 0 0
Total: 231520 218052 13468

question is, where is my 20 meg which compcache disabled?

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
confused on this compcache thing. i thought it was supposed to carve out some of your memory and then use that as compressed swap partition. android has a total of 256 ram so when i have compcache enabled i see:

# free
free

with compcache disabled:

# free
free

Check out the swap row. :)

Edit, I sort of see what you're saying...the actual numbers are sort of odd. Not sure why, but at least the difference in reported swap provides confirmation that compcache is doing its thing.

cvpcs

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

# free
free

with compcache disabled:

# free
free

Check out the swap row. :)

Edit, I sort of see what you're saying...the actual numbers are sort of odd. Not sure why, but at least the difference in reported swap provides confirmation that compcache is doing its thing.

what's basically happening is the extra 20mb is IN the used ram space.

so basically, in used mem, there is a total of 231520. well, 20mb of that is actually compache. however, the system then sees the 20mb of compcache as additional swap space, thus it get added to make the total that seems a bit higher than it should be, even though technically it's a "false" total

nygrik

Reaction score
feeling kinda dumb...

i have been trying with little success for the last few hours to hook up a working compcache kernal the only i found that will show up stats in terminal emulator is the 1250 by slayher and my phone gets kinda hot...i saw this post had a list of some made for sapphire by sapphire, now i have tried four of these kernals from the "latest" directory and when i go to terminal type in

"compcache on" it will say it is on....
"compcache stats" it says not permitted it does not appear compcache is enabled...

maybe im missing something?? should i do a clean install of sapphire and then try again ? i was also thinking maybe i didnt leave the kernal in long enough for the cache swap to begin so when i ask for stats since nothing has been swapped it appears to be disabled??

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
i have been trying with little success for the last few hours to hook up a working compcache kernal the only i found that will show up stats in terminal emulator is the 1250 by slayher and my phone gets kinda hot...i saw this post had a list of some made for sapphire by sapphire, now i have tried four of these kernals from the "latest" directory and when i go to terminal type in

"compcache on" it will say it is on....
"compcache stats" it says not permitted it does not appear compcache is enabled...

maybe im missing something?? should i do a clean install of sapphire and then try again ? i was also thinking maybe i didnt leave the kernal in long enough for the cache swap to begin so when i ask for stats since nothing has been swapped it appears to be disabled??

Turn compcache on, reboot, and then check stats.

nygrik

Reaction score
"compcache on
loading ramzswap module....modprobe: 'ramswap.ko': operation not permitted
done
enabling swap... swap on cant stat' dev/block/ramzswap0':no such file or directory
done
compcache has been enabled

i dont know if that helps but i get that message in terminal

nygrik

Reaction score
Turn compcache on, reboot, and then check stats.[/QUOTE]

k i will try this thank you

update: upon trying what was suggested my terminal still returns with the same results "compcache does not seem to be enabled"

im curious now and im going back to the one which was working for sure just to do some more tests...if anyone has any ideas i would prefer to use the cvpc kernal made specifically for my rom... any more ideas would be appreciated

Last edited:

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
"compcache on
done
enabling swap... swap on cant stat' dev/block/ramzswap0':no such file or directory
done

Are you typing su before trying this?

What kernel are you running?

nygrik

Reaction score
i cleared and wiped data three times, reinstalled clean sapphire rom and tried everything mentioned again but i still get the same messages in TE ...i have never found a kernal that hasnt worked on my phone, some just get a little hotter...to enable compcache i have attempted the 1200LV,1100LV,1000LV and the stock which i believe is the same as the 1000 i downloaded....the only time compcache worked was with a different rom and kernal (liquid and slayher)

as of now my kernal is 2.6.32.9-sapphireaudicken@neon#1 its the 1100 LV from the latest directory

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Instead of terminal, go into GEM settings, "Performance", and check "Compcache". Reboot. Then check compcache stats in terminal.

I am running the 125/1000 LV kernel from cvpcs and compcache and the module loads fine - your error seems to indicate you don't have the correct permissions.

nygrik

Reaction score
"compcache on
done
done

Are you typing su before trying this?

What kernel are you running?

when i try to do su first i get permission denied errors, all i have really typed is compcache on and compcache stats...it appears the toggle on/off says it does something but then stats come back as "compcache does not appeared to be enabled"

thanks for the help still kinda new with this

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
To truly enable compcache, you have to reboot after typing "compcache on" or checking the setting in GEM settings.

In any case, you need root access to enable this.