Comcast bringing DVR app to Android

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
2v2wpyu.jpg

While there is no release date just yet, Comcast announced its plans today to bring a DVR application to Android. The iOS devices were already greeted with a DVR app earlier this year, but it is nice to see Android get some more lovin' from the likes of those corporate types. With a Comcast app, you will be able to set your DVR remotely, as well as forward your home calls to your phone and receive push notifications when you receive home voicemails. Check out Comcast's blog entry:

Finally, we have introduced a mobile app that runs on the iPhone and iPod Touch and we’ve blogged about that here. While one of the most popular features of this app is the ability to remotely control your DVR so you can record your favorite shows on the go, it also provides a number of other very useful phone features. My favorite is the ability to auto-forward calls to your home phone directly to your mobile device. In this way, if you’re at the beach or out of town, you’ll never miss a call. You can also receive “push” notifications that someone has left you a voicemail at home and you can check and listen to your home voicemail via the app. We hope to make the app work on as many different devices as possible, including Blackberry and Android.

There you have it. So, anyone eagerly waiting for this app? I know it's been a long time coming.

via Talk Android
Source: Comcast Blog

LT*

Reaction score
NICE!

Hopefully it works better than their web based DVR controls. I can't even load the screen with that.

chewy74

Reaction score
if the app has a remote control feature to change the channel while watching live tv then I'd be way more excited.

ChugIt

Reaction score
Ironic, Verizon's service starts taking Comcast cable, internet and phone subscribers, now Comcast has an app on Verizon's top mobile devices. Business has a sense of humor sometimes....

I will not be looking forward to this app because I have DirecTV (NFL Sunday Ticket, duh!). I'm happy for the people who will use this app, it is a cool service.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah, too bad I don't have Comcast. Sounds like a pretty useful app.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok dish... you hearing this?

Isn't there something out there for Dish using slingbox? I suppose slingbox might be a workaround for any provider, just that those things aren't cheap.

Have to admit, though, that when slingbox starts to let you stream from your recordings LTE is going to make that a very attractive option.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I agree with Sling. you dont need any of these apps doe dvr or whatnot with sling, it controls it all. I have comcast, no DVR tho, I rarely tape stuff but sling lets you rewind and forward live tv and control DVR if you have one. And no monthly fees. If you want to watch tv on your device, there is no substitute for sling.

Which leads me to this, I dont know how sling is legal lol. Arent shows you get thru yer provider, prohibited from being re-broadcast? I know most of them are for 'Sole Entertainment Of The Viewer", so I dont know if that means you can re-broadcast if its just you.. I ask, because soon comcast will be selling streaming tv to mobile devices with Xfinity, and I wondered how this is going to effect sling.

buddy

Reaction score
DirecTV app

Not sure if this was answered already...but DirecTV DOES have an app. It use to be in the market when I downloaded it awhile back. Haven't checked to see if it's still there.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Which leads me to this, I dont know how sling is legal lol. Arent shows you get thru yer provider, prohibited from being re-broadcast? I know most of them are for 'Sole Entertainment Of The Viewer", so I dont know if that means you can re-broadcast if its just you.. I ask, because soon comcast will be selling streaming tv to mobile devices with Xfinity, and I wondered how this is going to effect sling.

I wasn't sure if you could stream Sling, but that's probably the key point. Time shifting has always been legal, and I think there is some technical workaround on the re-broadcast thing. But what everyone would like to do, obviously, is d/l to watch offline.

sroach23

Reaction score
too bad this wont work for comcast subscribers in houston. we have the crappy scientific atlanta boxes that dont even have online scheduling.

frankiez

Reaction score
I have Verizon FIOS and we DO have an app like that. Both remote DVR control and also to use your smartphone as your remote control for your TV. I've changed the channel on my wife using my phone while she was watching it cuz I didn't like the show that was on. hehe

Arkainzeye

Reaction score
Ironic, Verizon's service starts taking Comcast cable, internet and phone subscribers, now Comcast has an app on Verizon's top mobile devices. Business has a sense of humor sometimes....

I will not be looking forward to this app because I have DirecTV (NFL Sunday Ticket, duh!). I'm happy for the people who will use this app, it is a cool service.

well comcast has that app with the iphone which means AT&t AND at&t has a fios type service as well. i live in a fios area (verizon) and in my housing plan everyone went to FIOS when they first came here. and in my row of 8 home only 2 stayed with them! i was shocked. their ads look like the greatest thing since sliced bread. im still on comcast as i didnt want the hassle my neighbors told me about. =(