CM7 froyo vs GB

fixxxer0

Reaction score
I am currently on the Froyo kernel with the latest nightly update. I was wondering if there is any benefit of going to the CM7 with GB kernel (revnumbers)

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
I switched one of my phones over last night, and I don't notice any difference. But I assume that being on the newer kernel is better for cell reception at least.

OP
F

fixxxer0

Reaction score
I switched one of my phones over last night, and I don't notice any difference. But I assume that being on the newer kernel is better for cell reception at least.

oh i guess its a different baseband as well?

battery life on the nightly #136 im on is pretty good. nothign like apex was for me, but i can go 24hours with my normal usage, so its fine with me.

i was just looking to see if maybe the GB version was even better. or worse... the other incentive would be i could switch back and forth with ease from liberty/apex/cm7GB. but i dont want to switch if its buggy.

Last edited:

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've been running it for awhile. Its just as stable as the Froyo kernel but with better battery. Plus you can use apps like Boot Manager and switch between different GB ROMs.

Boot Manager

satinsilver

Reaction score
Seems to me battery life is terrible no matter what ROM you run, CM7/MUIU are drainers for sure. I'm always doing battery calibrations and wish I could still get to the main battery charge screen that comes up when the phones powered off and plugged in. IMO GB was faster right off the start from Froyo. The battery life is the same as far as I can see. It sucks, just like always :)

k1ng617

Reaction score
I actually took the plunge two days ago from CM7 Froyo to GB and I am very happy I did. I was having issues with some of the recent official nightlies and they were starting to run kind of choppy and hang for long periods on occasion requiring a battery pull. I ran the official nightlies for roughly 2-3 months and was happy with the performance, but I find that GB actually runs smoother and a little faster. Battery life is about the same or a little better than on Froyo. So, overall I'd say it was worth my evening.

BTW if your curious how I did it I took these steps:
1) SBF to Froyo stock
2) Took over the air update to .605
3) Used Pete's tool to Root
4) Installed Droid2 bootstrap
5) Rebooted into recovery
6) Wipe data/cache
7) Installed CM7GB Rom & Immediately after installed GoogleApps zip

Last edited: