CM7 flash tips????

smiller7117

Reaction score
Ok,
...so I downloaded the CM7 Nightflies ROM (revnumbers) from ROM Toolbox/ ROM Manager.(I rooted my D2G after the GB update)
Finally got the balls to flash it, regardless of the several posts about how "oh, my phone is bricked;" "it's stuck in bootup;" "it didn't work and now I'm screwed!;" etc.
Well I clicked 'Install' and selected 'Backup ROM' and 'Wipe Cache' & 'Wipe Dalvik.'
...it then proceeded to recovery mode where it began the execution of the whole Backup process. Then I looked at my screen and it said something about an error & how it was saved to my CWM file and I should report it.
Well my phone rebooted and here I am.
....basically, what I am inquiring is: am I correct in assuming that the steps for ROM Flashing are as follows:

Download ROM
Flash Recovery
Do Backup
Install ROM--- choose BACKUP ROM, WIPE DATA/ CACHE, and WIPE DALVIK
...and wait for it to reboot into the new ROM?????

I've read and read and read about doing this. But, honestly, I still feel uneasy about it. Like I'm forgetting something and am gonna end up like one of the "HELP ME!! I SCREWED SOMETHING UP..." people. LOL

A little input (or a lot of detailed input) would be VERY appreciated.
Thank you so much ;)

-a cautious root noob

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just use Bootstrap. Boot into recovery and make a backup. Then wipe data, cache and dalvik cache and install the ROM. Then reboot.

Boot Manager

camattern

Reaction score
Feeling challenged

So, I have loaded Cyangenmod 7.1 on my Droid 2 and am thrilled. When I was feeling experimental I started loading some variants and am back to cm 7.1, as a side note when i loaded on of the builds from revnumbers I ended up looking at the Moto logo and never getting past that but figured it was just something I got wrong. Now I have updated my wife's Droid 2 Global to CM 7.1 and it is having the dead bluetooth mic problem. I saw that this was supposed to be fixed in the 20111204 build by revnumbers and grabbed that, installing with the same process I used to load CM 7.1 on my phone which I found here (except that I had to use a different approach for rooting as the rageinthecage approach failed (I think I found that on rootzwiki which seems to be down, anyone know what's up with that?). Anyway I got the same results, it would not boot past the Moto Logo and I had to take it back to CM 7.1. Can anyone help me either:
  • Get my wife's bluetooth mic working with CM 7.1
  • Give me some clues on how to get the 20111204 revnumbers ROM to install properly
  • Come up with a better suggestion for the path forward
Regards,
Chuck

Jonas

Reaction score
Back ups are for noobs. :D Heres how I do things, and I'll add in what you SHOULD be doing as I write the steps. I'll try to keep it as simple as possible, and my PM is always open if you still have a question.

1. Turn your phone on.
2. Make sure you have the FULL Rom .zip you're trying to install. I personally recommend downloading it to your computer and then using a USB to move it to your phone since downloading it directly to your phone can bring up a few issues and if you don't know what you're doing can be a wee bit troublesome.
3. Check that you have the most RECENT version of CWM. If you dont, update it. If you're already lost, read my FAQ.
4. Boot into recovery.
5. You should make a back-up, but I'm usually too lazy, and don't bother. Make sure you know what the back up is called. That way if you do mess up you're not frantically searching through tons of back ups trying to figure out which was the working one. it usually saves it in a date format similar to how the nightlies are setup. so 20111204 would be dec 4th, 2011. It should click if you think about it.
6. Wipe your data! This is extremely crucial and where MOST of the bugs come into play. You would try to write a story on a piece of paper thats already been written on. Your phone cant either.
7. Wipe your cache. The data wipe should have doen this, but sometimes it doesn't get a good wipe, and silliness comes into play.
8. Install the .zip file. If you dunno how to do this, go to install zip from sd card, and find it. Make sure you know what your file is called here too. Don't do like me and get confused and try to flash a gba emulator game as a rom. You will be very disappointed with the results.
9. Be patient, these phones may be state of the art to some people, but they do take time.
10. Your phone should be good to go.

IF you boot loop, here are some quick ways to try to fix it. Go into CMW and rewipe everything. The Rom can sometimes flash funny because of existing files, but a factory reset usually lines all the ducks up properly.

If you have any more questions, PM me, I'm glad to help you before you mess something up. It's loads easier that way. Happy Flashing guys!

Jonas

Reaction score
So, I have loaded Cyangenmod 7.1 on my Droid 2 and am thrilled. When I was feeling experimental I started loading some variants and am back to cm 7.1, as a side note when i loaded on of the builds from revnumbers I ended up looking at the Moto logo and never getting past that but figured it was just something I got wrong. Now I have updated my wife's Droid 2 Global to CM 7.1 and it is having the dead bluetooth mic problem. I saw that this was supposed to be fixed in the 20111204 build by revnumbers and grabbed that, installing with the same process I used to load CM 7.1 on my phone which I found here (except that I had to use a different approach for rooting as the rageinthecage approach failed (I think I found that on rootzwiki which seems to be down, anyone know what's up with that?). Anyway I got the same results, it would not boot past the Moto Logo and I had to take it back to CM 7.1. Can anyone help me either:
  • Get my wife's bluetooth mic working with CM 7.1
  • Give me some clues on how to get the 20111204 revnumbers ROM to install properly
  • Come up with a better suggestion for the path forward
Regards,
Chuck
I have been out of the game for a month or so, but I remember BT being a huge issue for CM7. I have also heard of the new nightly not flashing properly. My words of advice on that would be if you want a stable CM platform for your wife's D2G, stick with the older nightlies. I cannot give you the exact one since like I said, I have been out of the game for a bit and I am currently rocking Liberty. But CM is a fantastic team, and I know they are working hard to fix this. One thing I want to point out, not sure if you know this, the D2 and the D2G are starkly different phones. The coding is exceedingly differently, and the ROMs are aswell. So I just have to ask if you tried to flash your D2 version of CM7 onto her phone. If so, this wont work.

As for a path forward, I would try to go looking through that HUGE CM7 thread here on DF, and see what you can find about the most stable CM. I think it was sometime in OCT, since thats when I was running CM7 on my phone, and it seemed to work. But again, BT has been a big issue for CM7, so I cant tell you about that. Best of luck!