Closing apps

RayPaganJr

Reaction score
I notice when I hard press the menu button one can see that apps that are open. Sometimes I may have at least three or four that are open, but I don't know how to close them. How is it done? Or does it matter whether they are left open or not?

Last edited:

ChrisK15

Reaction score
That actually isn't a list of running apps, it's a list of most recently used apps. If you do want to kill running programs though, download a task manager program. My favorite is TasKiller, and comes with some widgets.

II-Savy

Reaction score
I would like to continue this topic....
If you open a browser....look around a bit at some web site....when finished how do you close the browser? There is no X, no close button. You shouldn't have to RUN a task killer to close a program....

So again, how do you close an application?

cujochurch

Reaction score
I would like to continue this topic....
If you open a browser....look around a bit at some web site....when finished how do you close the browser? There is no X, no close button. You shouldn't have to RUN a task killer to close a program....

So again, how do you close an application?

I just got my droid and I would like this guestion answered. I have yet to find the answer posted anywhere.

Thanks

ChrisK15

Reaction score
You can't simply end an application. Android keeps the program's running data in RAM but doesn't actively use the CPU. It basically puts programs on standby and if you have too much RAM in use, Android automatically closes the programs that haven't been used in the longest amount of time. It acts dynamically to save RAM and CPU usage so you don't have to worry about it. TasKiller is mostly for the "last 10%" or so of performance and doesn't usually have much effect. It's mostly a placebo, kinda like having only 20 processes running in Windows 7 even though it's meant to have 40.