China Mobile Data Service with Droid 2 Global

CStreible

Reaction score
Recently, I contacted Verizon to get the SIM Network Unlock PIN for my phone, and I got a China Mobile SIM. When I'm on Verizon's SIM, I've been able to make international calls and even use the expensive data roaming, if I want. I don't want to use expensive data roaming.

When I use the China Mobile SIM, I can make local phone calls and send texts. This is great, but I also got them to add a data package to the account, but my Droid 2 Global doesn't find any data connection. Very strange.

The question I want answered is: How can I use China Mobile's data network with my Droid 2 Global?

It's very frustrating to see my Chinese friends buying smartphones here, putting similar SIM cards into their phones from China Mobile, and getting all the fun stuff, while I'm limited to calls and texts. I've been trying all of the options I can think of, but don't know if there is some secret code to dial, or if Verizon has to provide some other secret unlocking, or what.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance for your assistance. Any useful information is greatly appreciated.

Chuck

Last edited:

kaychen

Reaction score
You should set up the APN in China, if you want touse data connection. One apn is named cmnet, the other is cmwap. You can google them for the detail.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
C

CStreible

Reaction score
Thank you for the response. I found informatino regarding cmnet and cmwap earlier, and even more information after reading your reply. It seems very helpful, but I wonder if the settings reported online are not valid for all over China, because I can not get an APN profile that works. I've tried numerous configurations, but have not gotten a connection. I am working in Xi'An.

Assuming you are using a droid 2 global with a working APN configuration, would you mind listing it? Maybe I am not setting one of the options correctly, because many remain as "<Not Set>" and perhaps I am confusing "Proxy" with "Server" or other parameters?

Thanks in advance for your assistance. I do appreciate it.

Chuck

kaychen

Reaction score
I can reply to you with complete info. on next wed..

kaychen

Reaction score
First for cmwap:
Name: cmwap
Apn: cmwap
Proxy:010.000.000.172
Port:80
Mmsc:mmsc.monternet.com
Mms proxy:010.000.000.172
Mms port:80
Mcc:460
Mnc:00
Apn type:mms

Press menu for saving.

Second for cmnet
Name:cmnet
Apn:cmnet
All the other:default

Press menu for saving.

Hope this can help u:)

OP
C

CStreible

Reaction score
Sorry for the late acknowledgement on this. Maybe it is noted elsewhere but I'll mention it here. The main issue is that I had to enable data roaming. I was so leary of playing with that because $24/MB is nothing you want to mess with. Give me 1 Yuan per MB any day (or less with a good GPRS plan)

Also, a nifty apk called HiSurfing lets you auto set the apn settings and flip WiFi and GPRS and see what traffic you're using. I recommend it.