Check out Screebl Lite...Nice app!!

OP
mjs31

mjs31

Reaction score
Here's a wild question: could this technology be used to stop the playback of an audio book when I fall asleep (and the Droid drops to my chest and goes horizontal)?

I hate trying to pick up the next night and not knowing where I left off. That would be sweet if I nod off and playback stops immediately.

I imagine it could. It would depend how your arm/phone falls, but you could figure that one out and set the phone up accordingly.

OP
mjs31

mjs31

Reaction score
I'm the developer of Screebl, and I'm happy to see that you find it useful. Since the Droid hit the market, I've been getting some very good feedback from Verizon users. Many of these suggestions will be incorporated into Screebl, and you can expect them in subsequent releases. These include:

- Automatically disabling Screebl when the phone is docked
- More intelligent control of the screen when the phone is being used for a call
- Integration with the Locale application so that Screebl itself can be enabled/disabled based on time-of-day, GPS coordinates, etc.

As things stand, I just released a new version (1.6.0) that includes some tweaks for Android 2.0 (Droid) users that should help things to look a bit nicer, and also fix some Droid-specific defects.

Thanks again, and I hope that you enjoy Screebl!

P.S. - You can see the video mentioned by the previous poster here:

YouTube - Screebl Overview

In a nut shell...watch the included video (with download) or click on their site to watch it. It gives a good explanation.
This free app does what many wished was built in...if you are looking at a web page, reading something, watching a movie or whatever....Screebl will keep your screen lit up (I am not talking about when you are touching the screen...I am talking about when you are just looking at something). When you put your phone in an unusual position such has completely horizontal, it allows your phone to shut off like it typically would. Whats nice about this is two fold...first....you no longer get the annoying dark screen all of a sudden when reading or looking at something. Yes, you could set your phone to not dim for a few minutes, but that would kill your battery if you set it down. With this, you can set your phone to go off at 15 seconds, but it will still stay lit up when you are using it.
Second...it could actually save battery life overall by using the 15 second time out.

There are a lot of different settings that can be changed, but like the video will say, most of the defaults are good. They do recommend, and so do I, setting up the vertical and horizontal postioning of your phone based on how you hold it. This is how it knows if you are looking at something.

Very nice and well worth a look....

Nice work!!!

jsprings

Reaction score
I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that the name of the app, Screebl, is a contraction of 'Screen Blank'.

Do I win?:icon_ banana:

Jordie

Reaction score
This is really a nice app but I found some bugs or was it attended to be this way?

The bug I noticed is that the menu lights are always on or turns on when you move the phone. Is it necessary to have those lights on at all unless you touch the menu? Doesn't the menu light use up more battery?

I would only assume it only goes on when you actually touch the menus and turns off by itself but with screebl installed it just stays turned on if you move your phone.

endurance

Reaction score
been using this app the whole day so far, absolutely love it, however i have noticed one issue, when you are in landscape mode, and you have one corner slightly tilted down and not level with the other one, it deactivates it and the screen goes dim like default.

adam8ch

Reaction score
this app is pretty awesome. being able to set my screen timeout to 15 seconds is great.

HarleyDad09

Reaction score
screeble is pretty awesome..you dont realize how nice it is until you have it!! I just wish i could hide the icon! I dont like my notification bar being all loaded up!

nate94gt

Reaction score
that was one nice thing the iphone did. before the phone would go into its timeout mode, it would dim down a bit allowing you to continue what you are doing but just tap the screen and it goes bright again. That was handy.
this app seems cool, i'll check it out

adam8ch

Reaction score
screeble is pretty awesome..you dont realize how nice it is until you have it!! I just wish i could hide the icon! I dont like my notification bar being all loaded up!

You can hide the icon, its the Notification setting under Preferences.

the droid dims before timeout as well @ nate94gt.

drd1109

Reaction score
thanks for the suggestion...great app. also appreciate the the video explaining the app...

HIcycles

Reaction score
Awesome app! For some reason, I can't change my screen timeout setting; it's stuck @ 15 seconds. No matter what I change it to, it'll reset to 15 seconds after a while (not sure if I have another program running that's doing this). Anyhow, this app solved at least that problem!