Screebl Black Magic

andyclaus

Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me the black magic behind Screebl Pro? I installed this app about a week ago, and I've seen the battery life on my phone go up significantly. I mean a LOT. I was lasting about 8-10 hours, but now I'm seeing more like 12-18. When I look at the battery usage meter it says that Screebl is actually USING the battery a fair amount (4%).

What gives? I installed this app to solve the problem of keeping my screen on when playing mp3s in my car, and it works brilliantly for that. The battery thing has been a very very nice surprise. Looking around on the forums has yielded confusing results and I don't know what to think. How is this app doing what it's doing?

Andy

MdicnMan

Reaction score
I definitely expereinced some increase in battery life as well.

The battery benefit should be a result of the screen timeout being reduced the minimum. This way, when you are not using it, the screen shuts off almost immediately. Since the display is the single largest consumer of the battery, less screen on time means increased battery life. Sceebl itself doesn't really do anything to help other than allowing you to have a short time out.

OR, I could be wrong. :icon_eek:

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

The battery benefit should be a result of the screen timeout being reduced the minimum. This way, when you are not using it, the screen shuts off almost immediately. Since the display is the single largest consumer of the battery, less screen on time means increased battery life. Sceebl itself doesn't really do anything to help other than allowing you to have a short time out.

You're correct. But getting a significant increase in battery life from Screebl depends greatly on how you interact with your phone. For those who habitually shut off the phone whenever they aren't using it, Screebl can't help. In fact, because it uses a small amount of battery power, it is a net loss in those cases.

But for those of us who aren't so conscientious, being able to set the screen timeout to 15 seconds (rather than several minutes) and still use phone as long as it's being held is a great feature.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score

You're correct. But getting a significant increase in battery life from Screebl depends greatly on how you interact with your phone. For those who habitually shut off the phone whenever they aren't using it, Screebl can't help. In fact, because it uses a small amount of battery power, it is a net loss in those cases.

But for those of us who aren't so conscientious, being able to set the screen timeout to 15 seconds (rather than several minutes) and still use phone as long as it's being held is a great feature.
Yeah agreed, I'm one of the people that always puts the phone on standy before putting it down, it just became one of my habits so I really didn't notice any battery saving lol. I bought it mainly because of what was said above, I can set it to 15 seconds but keep the screen on when I'm actually using it. Really great for when your reading long blog posts/forums lol! I still hit the standby button when I put my phone down though lol.