Tasker, Screebl, and DogCatcher

nerdkill

Reaction score
Hi, I purchased Tasker today and am about to return it. It seems super cool, but I'm starting to realize that I just don't have the time right now to set it up. However! If I could just get it to solve one problem that I'm having it would be worth it to keep it.

When I go to bed I set my X against the wall next to my bed, turn on dogcatcher and watch a news video podcast. I have screebl so my screen stays on even after the show is over. The problem I have is that if I fall asleep screebl keeps my phone on after the show is over. Is there a way I can disable screebl while I'm running DogCatcher using Tasker?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
you can create a profile to kill screebl and keep screen on when that program is opened

and an exit task which starts screebl back up

OP
nerdkill

nerdkill

Reaction score
you can create a profile to kill screebl and keep screen on when that program is opened

and an exit task which starts screebl back up

I am having a hard time getting things working with this app, is there any way you can give me, or direct me to a how to do that? Also will that then re instate screeble after I close dogcatcher?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
an exit task will reopen screebl

ill post one tonight (im at the beach doing this) if no one else can help u :)

OP
nerdkill

nerdkill

Reaction score
thank you very much. have fun at the beach. put some sun block on, i didn't two days ago and i haven't been able to walk for two days.

OP
nerdkill

nerdkill

Reaction score
is anyone else there that can help me or give me a good link to help with tasker? i don't want to return it, it seems neato.

OP
nerdkill

nerdkill

Reaction score
ok i figured out how to disable screebl when dogcatcher opens. finally figured out how to do an exit task. now i'm running into a new problem.

when i open it turns screebl off great, then when i exit out it just opens the screebl app and i have to click to turn it back on again. i just want it to go back into its previous state. screebl turns off when dogcatcher open, sceebl turns back on when it's turned off (without user input).

it's really annoying because say you're in dog catcher and screebl is off. hold your home button to open an app that you recently had. it's going to start trying to open that but then screebl is going to pop up and you click to enable it. well now you can't get back to the app you were trying to open. if you hit back you go back to dogcatcher and screebl turns back off. you have to hit the home button and then open the app.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
just try to not bother with screebl and add the extra action to keep display on

OP
nerdkill

nerdkill

Reaction score
just try to not bother with screebl and add the extra action to keep display on

I don't know what you mean by that. I was reading that you can set your phone to time out when it's laying down but do you have to do that with every app? Or is thee a way to do it ask of the time.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i know you can set it to a certain app (like dogcatcher) and a certain orientation to keep the screen on. just add context for the orientation

Edit: playing with extended controls; it allows you to add another power bar with more settings and one of them is to allow the screen to stay on. seems easier than making a profile with tasker :)

OP
nerdkill

nerdkill

Reaction score
but the thing is i don't want it to stay on indefinitely. with screebl off it will turn itself off on its own. however then when i exit it i need screebl to come back on. the problem is when screebl comes back on i have to manually tell it to start again instead of it just going to its previous state. in other words, when exiting dog catcher it just opens screebl, i want it to enable screebl.