Check out Screebl Lite...Nice app!!

mjs31

Reaction score
In a nut shell...watch the included video (with download) or click on their site to watch it. It gives a good explanation.
This free app does what many wished was built in...if you are looking at a web page, reading something, watching a movie or whatever....Screebl will keep your screen lit up (I am not talking about when you are touching the screen...I am talking about when you are just looking at something). When you put your phone in an unusual position such has completely horizontal, it allows your phone to shut off like it typically would. Whats nice about this is two fold...first....you no longer get the annoying dark screen all of a sudden when reading or looking at something. Yes, you could set your phone to not dim for a few minutes, but that would kill your battery if you set it down. With this, you can set your phone to go off at 15 seconds, but it will still stay lit up when you are using it.
Second...it could actually save battery life overall by using the 15 second time out.

There are a lot of different settings that can be changed, but like the video will say, most of the defaults are good. They do recommend, and so do I, setting up the vertical and horizontal postioning of your phone based on how you hold it. This is how it knows if you are looking at something.

Very nice and well worth a look....

Stigy

Reaction score
You can also check out KeepScreen.

It is what I used on my TMobile G1 and its now free. A great program and a great developer.

Will definitely check this program out though...

keyesdav

Reaction score
Screebl

I'm the developer of Screebl, and I'm happy to see that you find it useful. Since the Droid hit the market, I've been getting some very good feedback from Verizon users. Many of these suggestions will be incorporated into Screebl, and you can expect them in subsequent releases. These include:

- Automatically disabling Screebl when the phone is docked
- More intelligent control of the screen when the phone is being used for a call
- Integration with the Locale application so that Screebl itself can be enabled/disabled based on time-of-day, GPS coordinates, etc.

As things stand, I just released a new version (1.6.0) that includes some tweaks for Android 2.0 (Droid) users that should help things to look a bit nicer, and also fix some Droid-specific defects.

Thanks again, and I hope that you enjoy Screebl!

P.S. - You can see the video mentioned by the previous poster here:

[video=youtube;tzgFuUu0oxg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzgFuUu0oxg"]YouTube - Screebl Overview[/video]

In a nut shell...watch the included video (with download) or click on their site to watch it. It gives a good explanation.
This free app does what many wished was built in...if you are looking at a web page, reading something, watching a movie or whatever....Screebl will keep your screen lit up (I am not talking about when you are touching the screen...I am talking about when you are just looking at something). When you put your phone in an unusual position such has completely horizontal, it allows your phone to shut off like it typically would. Whats nice about this is two fold...first....you no longer get the annoying dark screen all of a sudden when reading or looking at something. Yes, you could set your phone to not dim for a few minutes, but that would kill your battery if you set it down. With this, you can set your phone to go off at 15 seconds, but it will still stay lit up when you are using it.
Second...it could actually save battery life overall by using the 15 second time out.

There are a lot of different settings that can be changed, but like the video will say, most of the defaults are good. They do recommend, and so do I, setting up the vertical and horizontal postioning of your phone based on how you hold it. This is how it knows if you are looking at something.

Very nice and well worth a look....

dannydoes

Reaction score
Cool app. But as far as saving the battery, I just tap the power button every time I set the phone down which turns off the screen immediately which ultimately is the BEST way of preserving the battery. With the screen being the biggest battery drain, I'm surprised more people don't do this.

imaROBOT

Reaction score
Cool app. But as far as saving the battery, I just tap the power button every time I set the phone down which turns off the screen immediately which ultimately is the BEST way of preserving the battery. With the screen being the biggest battery drain, I'm surprised more people don't do this.

I also do the same thing. I actually didn't even now that I could turn the screen off/put to sleep by pushing the power button. I just figured it out 2 days ago, but use it all the time now :D.

mitchb2

Reaction score
Just downloaded it. Very good idea!
I've been annoyed when the screen times out on me. This is great.

Thanks Dave! Be careful out in those woods. BigFoot, you know.

M1dnite

Reaction score
I've been using it for the last few hours.... and it works very well. I am impressed the default settings work. Here's a suggestion. I wish there was a way to add the way you are currently holding the phone to the presets. I know you can do it when your in menus but wishing I could push something else to make that change myabe in the main menu and not deep in the settin gs? Anywhom still a great app nicely written impressive.

TMH478

Reaction score
Does this app wear on the battery seeing that it is running in the background?

TMH478

Reaction score
So far, so good Dave. Looks like it uses about 3% of the cpu's resources.

mitchb2

Reaction score
Here's a wild question: could this technology be used to stop the playback of an audio book when I fall asleep (and the Droid drops to my chest and goes horizontal)?

I hate trying to pick up the next night and not knowing where I left off. That would be sweet if I nod off and playback stops immediately.

OP
mjs31

mjs31

Reaction score

I actually do this two and I posted the original message :) Just some don't so it could help and there are times I do leave it down on something for some reason without clicking. If I had to set the time to 2 minutes...that would eat it up. Either way...still a very nice app.