Charger for the Turbo

mcraeh

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I got a Droid Turbo yesterday and wanted to ask about the "turbo" charger. Since that is the only one you get when you buy the phone, is it safe to use it regularly? I am charging mine (with it turned off) using a regular charger from my old phone, which is also a Moto. Of course, it is taking forever to charge, but I am skeptical of the turbo charger so I wanted to ask if it is really a good idea to use it if I'm not in a bind where I need more juice in a hurry.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Moto says that the turbo charger is the best way to condition the battery. Myself, I've been using my old slow moto chargers exclusively. My dos pesos.

We must...We must...increase our boost

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Most here are using the slow charger for "normal" charging (like overnight) use the "Turbo" for quickies and when/as needed charging.
Hope that helps.

1coopgt

Reaction score
Why would Motorola include a turbo battery charger with the phone if it wasn't safe to use on the phone all the time . I just don't understand why this question keeps coming up .

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the charger. Knowing that heat is hard on the battery, some of prefer not to subject it to any more heat than necessary. I for one.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Why would Motorola include a turbo battery charger with the phone if it wasn't safe to use on the phone all the time . I just don't understand why this question keeps coming up .
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the charger. Knowing that heat is hard on the battery, some of prefer not to subject it to any more heat than necessary. I for one.

I second lloydtrans' comments above and add to that, that the rate of charge also influences the life of the battery. The faster you charge it, generally the sooner it will reach end of life, which is when it will only hold 80% of its originally rated capacity (or 3,120mAh). For most people that will happen around a year and a half to two years with normal charging and use. Using the turbo charger you may see that so-called end of life on the battery reached sooner, possibly as soon as a year to year and a half.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

obxsalvo

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I use my Razr charger a lot at night and have noticed my charger only gets to or is reported in the phone, 99% and when I use the Turbo's I get it to 100%. My Batt. life seems to be the same after using both chargers. The main reason I use the old Razr charger is because the cord is longer.

Last edited:

Pologuy

Reaction score
Hmmm, here I was using the enclosed Turbo charger exclusively when charging my turbo...

I have only had Turbo for 6 days though...

Should I go back to using my old "regular" charger?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia

I agree. It makes no sense whatsoever for them to ship a charger with a device that should only be used "occasionally". I seriously doubt there is anything wrong with using it as your main charger everyday.
1 1/2-2 years is the standard life of a smartphone battery anyways, why bother using a different charger to save you a few months of life for a 15-20 dollar replacement battery?

S5 tap'n

Xander Crews

Reaction score
Well, you can't replace the battery. If you could easily replace it I would say who cares how the charger effects it. But that isn't the case. No need to use the quick charger overnight of its fully charged either way in the morning.
I charge it overnight with my old charger just in case.
I only use the quick charge if I need a quick charge.

Pologuy

Reaction score
Has anyone contacted Motorola and gotten this answer?

As several have stated, it seems odd that they would include the turbo charger with the Turbo phone - if you weren't supposed to use it to charge your phone when it needed it.

Reactions: cr6

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I agree. It makes no sense whatsoever for them to ship a charger with a device that should only be used "occasionally". I seriously doubt there is anything wrong with using it as your main charger everyday.
1 1/2-2 years is the standard life of a smartphone battery anyways, why bother using a different charger to save you a few months of life for a 15-20 dollar replacement battery?

S5 tap'n
I'm not saying that there is anything inherently wrong with the charger. What I am saying is that it's a characteristic of the lithium ion technology batteries that they PREFER to be charged show rather than fast and that charging fast WILL result in shortening of the battery life over time.

That said, the battery being as large as it is was partly to extend the run time with each charge and partly to allow for capacity reduction over time by turbo charging and still provide the expected lifespan of about 1.5 to 2 years with about a 20% capacity reduction over that time.

Also, I seriously doubt the replacement battery would $15 to $20, and likely more in the $50 range.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Well, you can't replace the battery. If you could easily replace it I would say who cares how the charger effects it. But that isn't the case. No need to use the quick charger overnight of its fully charged either way in the morning.
I charge it overnight with my old charger just in case.
I only use the quick charge if I need a quick charge.
My sentiments exactly.

Pologuy

Reaction score
According to the Motorola website:

"Our optimized battery charging algorithm enables turbo charging while maintaining good battery cycle life."