Can Turbo Charger be used on regular phones?

inssane

Reaction score
I have one outlet left on power strip. Me and my GF (Samsung S5) use the charger where it is.
Can I charge her phone on the Moto supplied Turbo charger?

Thanks
Nick

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yes.. And i think the s5 will even make use of the turbo charging feature..

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
That would be interesting to know. The S5 already has quick charge with the usb 3.0 cable. Let us know how it does with the standard turbo charge cable. I'd be afraid of frying something...though it "should" be ok.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
The only reason I think it will work is that my gf's phone charged via my turbo charger.. She has an s5...so..she has a flaw.. Lmao

Reactions: cr6

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Interested to know the answer as well. My gf was asking if my adaptive day charger for the note 4 would work with her phone.

AFAIK, the phone will simply draw the power it needs to charge, so even if the charger can put out more than is needed, it should be ok to use it.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Yeah, that's what I figured. I'm still interested in the actual speed in which it charges the S5 compared to the S5s stock 3.0 cable. (And a regular usb cable) I know from using a standard cable on mine takes forever compared to the 3.0....But then I've been spoiled by the quick charge feature.
(I've been wanting to time them both to see the actual hours/minutes it takes....That's a good homework assignment for me)

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yeah, that's what I figured. I'm still interested in the actual speed in which it charges the S5 compared to the S5s stock 3.0 cable. (And a regular usb cable) I know from using a standard cable on mine takes forever compared to the 3.0....But then I've been spoiled by the quick charge feature.
(I've been wanting to time them both to see the actual hours/minutes it takes....That's a good homework assignment for me)
I'm expecting a full report.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Idk if hers did the speed charge... I wasn't paying attention..

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I have one outlet left on power strip. Me and my GF (Samsung S5) use the charger where it is.
Can I charge her phone on the Moto supplied Turbo charger?

Thanks
Nick

Yes.. And i think the s5 will even make use of the turbo charging feature..

That would be interesting to know. The S5 already has quick charge with the usb 3.0 cable. Let us know how it does with the standard turbo charge cable. I'd be afraid of frying something...though it "should" be ok.

Yes, in fact the Turbo Charger is fully compatible with other 5 volt devices that do not support the Turbo Charging. It has three voltages and current ratings for just that reason. 5 volts, 1.6 amps is listed as "Standard". Then there are the two Turbo Charging voltages, Turbo 1 output 9 volts, 1.6 amps. And Turbo 2 output 12 volts, 1.2 amps.

It even says "Turbo output only supplied to Turbo enabled devices."

99c09cec4d7da3bf1de741816c0cabd8.jpg

7930e7f0b3ff1cdb36221a43809038d1.jpg

Last edited:

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Any phone can be charged but only qualcomm quick charge 2.0 compatible phones will benefit from the turbo charge feature. Rest will charge like normal phones.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Any phone can be charged but only qualcomm quick charge 2.0 compatible phones will benefit from the turbo charge feature. Rest will charge like normal phones.

Actually Qualcomm Quick Charge 1.0 and 2.0, hence the two Turbo voltages, Turbo 1 and Turbo 2.

Also, the voltage output of 5 volts is at a much higher current than most standard chargers (1.6 amps or 1,600mAh versus 780mAh typically), so it will also charge faster for those phones and other devices that are able to take advantage the higher current rate and charge at the so-called "rapid charging" rate (not to be confused with the Qualcomm Quick Charge systems).

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
Essentially it's Output is
Standard: 5v @ 1.6A = 8W
Turbo 1: 9.6v @ 1.6A = 14.4W
Turbo 2: 12v @ 1.2A = 14.4W

I noticed that my Note 2 Charger was a 5v @ 2A = 10W. I've used that on most of my devices. I have seen 15W Chargers online and wonder if they would work with the Droid Turbos Quick Charging Ability.