Changing contact display name after sync

qoncept

Reaction score
I've decided I can live with all my Facebook contacts showing up in the phone (thank you, groups) and synced with them. Works fine, except the one butthead in America that won't use Facebook. I synced with MySpace too, just to get a picture for him in my contacts.

Of course, it didn't automatically link with him, because he's also the same butthead that uses a goofy display name on MySpace. So I go to his name in my contacts, click menu, link, and join the 2 accounts.. except now he's showing up under his MySpace name, not his real name. I've edited, re-edited, deleted, moved, tried joining the accounts every possible way, but no dice. What gives?

Edit: Oops. I don't suppose this belongs in the Hacks forum. Mods, feel free to move.

Last edited:

kad87

Reaction score
I'm interested in the answer to this as well...

rolandct

Reaction score
Same problem here with two Roberts. I change one to Bob in contacts however still shows up as robert because that's what Facebook is. Very annoying.

joshparylak

Reaction score
Same problem here but with twitter contacts. Anyway to control which name displays?

OP
Q

qoncept

Reaction score
This is frustrating. Motorola did the hard part in getting all of these to sync like you'd expect, but then stopped short of making it useful.

1800collect

Reaction score
Yes. The problem is it takes the Facebook profile name and won't let you designate a different name. I've even put in a field in the nickname area in hopes it would use that, but alas it always takes the Facebook name like it's the bible.

billyanks2

Reaction score
bump. My friend's twitter name is being shown instead of her name name.

lexxon

Reaction score
Was there ever any resolution for this? Girlfriend just got a Droid 2 and it has the same issue with Twitter names.

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Dont blame Moto or Verizon for your friends being "internet cool guys" Did you try to ask him to change his name on FB/Myspace to his real name? lol

I can see how its somewhat annoying, but its definitely not fail on Moto's part, its fail on your friends part for thinking having his name on Myspace set to some random quote is cool or useful.

Stolen

Reaction score
I have two instances where Contact name > facebook name

And I have no idea why

iwasapirate

Reaction score
There's a pretty simple fix to this, actually.
  1. Create a new contact with the display name and any information you want in the contact that you do not have in the myspace/twitter record.
  2. After you've saved the contact open it and click the menu button and select "link contact".
  3. You'll be taken back to your full contacts list, select the contact with the bad contact information displayed and link the two together.
  4. The bad listing should disappear and your new one with the correct display info should be in its place with the photo from twitter/myspace.

TheSerina

Reaction score
It works, but...

They give you this wonderful nickname field. I would rather have that show in my contacts list then to have the person's real name. Now how to get it to default to the nickname....

gpseymour

Reaction score
Dont blame Moto or Verizon for your friends being "internet cool guys" Did you try to ask him to change his name on FB/Myspace to his real name? lol

I can see how its somewhat annoying, but its definitely not fail on Moto's part, its fail on your friends part for thinking having his name on Myspace set to some random quote is cool or useful.

Them changing their name on Myspace or Facebook won't fix this. Twitter names (which can NEVER be normally formatted names) also take precedence. Also, if there are two "Bob Smith" entries in your contacts, why should one of them change his name on Facebook to "Robert Smith", if he goes by "Bob"? I'd just like to be able to identify him in my contacts by whatever display name makes sense for me (perhaps "Bob Smith PA" if he lives in PA, or whatever works for me).

This is, in fact, a failure of the developers to consider the ramifications of their code. I'm a bit baffled as to why they chose to have the display names from online services override the names as stored in Google (or phone) contacts. This completely removes display control from the user. As a programmer/developer, this choice makes little sense and fails to consider the user's needs.

Reaction score
Just create a new contact with his nickname and link his realname contact to it

I didn't see iwasapirate's post-do what he said-works well

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

My DROID beat-up your iphone