Cell standby and phone idle killn batt.

blwn327

Reaction score
By my battery stats these 2 are draining my battery the most? Cell standby drained 36% in almost a 2 hour period. In those 2 hours battery is @ 70% from 100%, I facebooked for a few and poker for a few. I'm hoping it gets better.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

geekabilly

Reaction score
that's not right -- I pulled mine out of the car dock fully charged last night @ 6pm and this morning @ 4 it's still @ 90% -- granted, I didn't use it at all, but it was on WiFi the whole time --

OP
blwn327

blwn327

Reaction score
Im testing it right now and looks like it was the going in and out of 3 and 4g. Think I'm set now

OP
blwn327

blwn327

Reaction score
Lte switch makes it easier to change between em

lkevinl

Reaction score
Cell Standby and Phone Idle are the highest consumers of battery on my phone... I assume Cell Standby means 4G standby. I wonder if I turn off 4G for a day that my battery life will improve dramatically.

Anyone up for the experiment?

holjes

Reaction score
I only turn on 4g when i need it with lte switch. 3g is more than fast enough for me to stream music from google music and grooveshark. With the lte switch, if you need anything faster it makes it easy enough to switch back. With only using 4g when i need it i usually get about 8-10 hours of moderate to heavy usage (web browsing, music streaming, games, other random stuff, a couple youtube vids on 4g).

--also i am usually around wifi networks anyways, so not that much of a need for always on 4g.

Last edited:

TatDroid

Reaction score
I have a pretty good 4G signal at work (Boston) and a moderate 4G signal at home (western suburb). I have found it makes a huge difference on battery drain if the phone is on 4G, and especially if it's not a strong 4G signal - even when the phone is on standby. Like others have said, I switch my phone to 3G mode when I'm not doing data intensive stuff, and always when it's on standby. For me, it makes the difference between the battery lasting only 6-10 hours (depending on use) when on full time 4G, vs. 12-16 hours of moderate use if on 3G most of the time.

Also, although I used to use the "LTE Switch" app to make the 3G to 4G toggle easier/faster, I had mixed results with it. As others have also noted, it seemed that sometimes I would loose data connection altogether when switching and would have to toggle back and forth again to get it back. Every once in a while would have to reboot to get data back. After about 5 days I ended up uninstalling it. I guess I'll have to put up with a few extra clicks to go into the phone settings to make the switch.