Carrier Solution to Rooting

aggiechase37

Reaction score
Unfortunately I agree with you. Rooting the phone as become too widespread and there are too many [Edited by Foxkat for content] out there trying to root the phone just so they can be cool, but don't have the intellectual wherewithal to pull it off. Droidforums.net is getting sunk with buffoons in the hacks section asking completely moronic questions in broken english and poor grammar, betraying their sub 100 IQ, lack of age, lack of wisdom, or all the above and insisting on the right to root their phone.

Rooting is something that should be done by tinkerers and those who belong to intelligensia. Not morons! The problem is that these morons are ruining the party for everyone.

It's just like buying a car. If I go buy a brand new car hot off the floor, then go home and overhaul the engine, if something runs amiss with the work I did, I'm not going to go charging into the car dealership demanding they warranty my inability to properly aftermarket my car. That's what rooting is people! Aftermarket customization!

Here's my solution. Since there is a database of people who have rooted their phone, they need to bake into the warranty that the only warranty exists for people who accept the latest official firmware upgrades. Thus shunning the rooted fraudsters. Since you have the database, use it!

Carriers: tell the low IQ rooted crowd tough noogies if they bring a bricked phone in for warranty that you know is rooted. That's it! Problem solved. If you want to make the root process a little trickier, you are only going to be inviting morons to brick their phone with a tricky root process. Just make it relatively easy (aka: OG Droid easy), but let them know up front that rooting = voided warranty, and then stick to your guns. In terms of tething, most reports show that just about everyone will use less than 5 gigs, even us tether-in-a-pinchers. It's (again) the morons who are tethering their phones to their PS3's or doing online multiplayer that (again) is ruining the party. How bout this, just throttle after 5gig (but we're free to use it however we please, you know...since we paid for it and all), and flip the switch after 7. So once they use 7 gigs that's the ballgame. I'm ok with that. I use wifi whenever possible, Opera mini (90% data compression) for browsing, and if I need to tether, I do it responsibly. Get on, don't check out 720p youtube videos (you know...common sense) and get out. I use the tethering primarily for business. And if it were not available for free, no I would not pay for it at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
A

aggiechase37

Reaction score
I saw some idiot in another part of this forum whining about not being able to tether so he can play world of warcraft.

This is exactly the type of irresponsibility and stupidity that I'm talking about.

tcayton49

Reaction score
Sadly it seems that responsibility and accountability are two words that aren't in a lot of people's vocabulary

OP
A

aggiechase37

Reaction score
Hey MODS! How bout this. LET'S (rooting community) start policing ourselves. ARE YOU LISTENING MODS!!!!?!?!?!?!?!? If there is a moron out there doing stupid stuff like trying to get help tethering so they can gobble up gobs of data, ban then from this forum, alert all other forums that deal with rooting to ban them as well. Use their IP address. We have got to start policing ourselves, and we have to do it right now! Otherwise, the clock is ticking on rooting.

zr1fan09

Reaction score
You make a valid point. there are way to many people out there nowadays that do not understand the power of the android platform when rooted, and its disturbing to witness a rooted phone in the hands of someone that does not know what to do. i have personally had to save a couple of my friends phones from destruction because of over throttling their processors and almost frying them. to all the experienced users out there if you know one of these people do as i did and unroot their phone, irresponsibility from uneducated rooters is ruining it for all of us.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Wow! Vent much?:icon_eek:

So, you have taken it upon yourself to declare that only a "select few" people are intelligent enough to be able to root, and do it responsibly...and you include yourself in this group?

Wow...and its the guy that wants to tether to play WOW thats the problem, and since you "only do it for business", you are more justified in doing it, even though it is just as bad morally and legally.

Really? You believe in this diatribe you posted? You are just as culpable as the next guy...it really doesnt matter why you tether, or why you want to tether, the fact is, tethering is a paid service provided by Verizon, and the ability to do it freely by way of rooting, is in effect, stealing. The amount of stealing is a moot point.

Calling any user a "moron" because they want to do the same thing you are doing is asinine...assuming they have a lesser IQ than yourself is just plain stupid...and basing anything on IQ statistics is at best laughable when you know an IQ measurement is worth about as much as the paper is was written on.

Asking for this or any other forum to "ban" individuals asking how to root so they can tether their X-Box is also laughable...unless you also ban the users wanting to tether "for business purposes". I would be willing to bet there aree far more "business users" than there are gamers using 3G and tethering, considering the abysmal ping times I get on my 3G service...not condusive for gaming, but more than workable for e-mail and web browsing...you know, business stuff.

Now, as far as rooting and warranty claims go, I agree 100%. If in fact Verizon, AT&T or Sprint can detect which phones are rooted, then by all means log those phones ESN, MEID etc, and then notify that user that they have broken their warranty and are no longer covered due to rooting the device. Seems fair to me, and I say this knowing my phone is one of the rooted ones.

droidxethan

Reaction score
Not gonna get into this big controversy here but I am going to say everyone is a noob at one point and sites like these with nice people that can help are good yeah this tethering thing seems to be getting out of hand but you gotta learn this stuff somewhere you don't just wake up being a root master

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

GT944

Reaction score
What I find most frustrating is that yes, many posts requesting root help are poorly composed and looking for a 'quick fix' but often times, these people (myself included, as I try to familiarize myself with the process) are directed to 'complete' guides to rooting - these turn out to be spotty, at best. Unless of course you already understand the details of the complex vocab, functions of components like kernels, etc. What would help everyone a lot more, is rather than a guide to root and flash roms quickly (which many, many guides do) help people out with taking the time to fully understand what they're actually doing.

That being said... I agree, most users want that quick fix, don't bother me with details approach and will abuse the phones' capabilities and likely trash their devices. I say that we try to help one another learn what the **** is going on behind the scenes, and let those who are to impatient to learn, just brick their phones, get charged overage fees, etc - screw 'em. Stupidity, unwillingness to truly learn, and impatience should all be painful. So much energy could be wasted trying to control things here - put it to good use helping learners, and let the 'quick fixers' do their thing. What Big Red does is largely out of our control... and the master devs (who know a whole, whole lot more than I do) will figure out a way to get things done.

My two cents.

- Greg -
Sent from my ADR6300

OP
A

aggiechase37

Reaction score
Wow! Vent much?:icon_eek:

So, you have taken it upon yourself to declare that only a "select few" people are intelligent enough to be able to root, and do it responsibly...and you include yourself in this group?

Wow...and its the guy that wants to tether to play WOW thats the problem, and since you "only do it for business", you are more justified in doing it, even though it is just as bad morally and legally.

Really? You believe in this diatribe you posted? You are just as culpable as the next guy...it really doesnt matter why you tether, or why you want to tether, the fact is, tethering is a paid service provided by Verizon, and the ability to do it freely by way of rooting, is in effect, stealing. The amount of stealing is a moot point.

Calling any user a "moron" because they want to do the same thing you are doing is asinine...assuming they have a lesser IQ than yourself is just plain stupid...and basing anything on IQ statistics is at best laughable when you know an IQ measurement is worth about as much as the paper is was written on.

Asking for this or any other forum to "ban" individuals asking how to root so they can tether their X-Box is also laughable...unless you also ban the users wanting to tether "for business purposes". I would be willing to bet there aree far more "business users" than there are gamers using 3G and tethering, considering the abysmal ping times I get on my 3G service...not condusive for gaming, but more than workable for e-mail and web browsing...you know, business stuff.

Now, as far as rooting and warranty claims go, I agree 100%. If in fact Verizon, AT&T or Sprint can detect which phones are rooted, then by all means log those phones ESN, MEID etc, and then notify that user that they have broken their warranty and are no longer covered due to rooting the device. Seems fair to me, and I say this knowing my phone is one of the rooted ones.

Yes, only people who have the intellectual wherewithal to root should attempt it. My phone is not bricked so yes to the second question as well.

I use it for Google Apps for business, pretty sure Google appreciates that more than tethering to my x-box.

The amount is stealing absolutely is not a moot point. Otherwise, we should give the electric chair to candy shoplifters.

If you have bricked your phone, not followed directions and then tried to warranty the phone, then yes, I believe that your IQ is lower than mine. And I work at a psychiatric hospital. We don't let in people with IQ's lower than 70 for a reason. They have a tendency to destroy thing and start riots in the patient population. So yes, IQ matters.

I'd rather see phone-bricking-tether-gobblers get banned than have root ruined for everyone. Although, If P3Droid is right, the writing may already be on the wall.

Glad you to see you agree with me a little. Power to the people!

cush2push

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
here is my opinion why the carriers and manufacturers are locking down phones first the carriers
first off is they get a kickback from all that bloatware they put on the phone tethering has nothing to do with it its just the carriers get out of jail card to lock the device down
and as for the manf the carriers are pressuring them and pride think about if you made a product then i took said product and made it more amazing than your product you would cry foul and try to stop me from doing that just my 2 cents

wil318466

Reaction score
Completely against this entire premise.

I'm rooted and modded out as much as possible. I knew nothing about it when I started but learned quite a bit about it over time. Never came close to truly bricking. Never came close to "frying" my phone. In all honesty the OP and the guys who agree with him sound like the noobs.

If rooting goes away it'll be because there will be a concentrated effort by the companies.

We're on an open platform. It's the best aspect of Android. How can you speak out against people who DO root/mod their phones? I think something is wrong with YOU, not the "idiots" who root.

OP
A

aggiechase37

Reaction score
Completely against this entire premise.

I'm rooted and modded out as much as possible. I knew nothing about it when I started but learned quite a bit about it over time. Never came close to truly bricking. Never came close to "frying" my phone. In all honesty the OP and the guys who agree with him sound like the noobs.

If rooting goes away it'll be because there will be a concentrated effort by the companies.

We're on an open platform. It's the best aspect of Android. How can you speak out against people who DO root/mod their phones? I think something is wrong with YOU, not the "idiots" who root.

I'm not speaking out against people who root the phone. I'm speaking out against the people who abuse this privilege. Bricking the phone and then tricking carrier into a warranty replacement and/or tethering gobs of data because you are "unlimited" is the kind of stuff we need to have a crackdown on. If we are going to have a responsible forum we need to crack down on people who get on here and post garbage that is clearly in the crosshairs of the carriers/manufacturers.