Car mount with otterbox holster project

xtor

Reaction score
Ok...I use Otterbox cases on my phones and they do not fit in car mounts. I decided to take the holster (after I accidentally broke the belt clip) and mount it to a iottie car mount base, a little epoxy and dremel tool and..........this one is for my note 2.

ForumRunner_20131209_214421.png

ForumRunner_20131209_214512.png

ForumRunner_20131209_214559.png

8th Infantry division

OP
xtor

xtor

Reaction score
I cut a hole for camera and video. Never no when you my need to record something.

8th Infantry division

kyboy

Reaction score
Try slipgrip car mounts. They have mounts for Jay about everything.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

kyboy

Reaction score
Just about everything that is

OP
xtor

xtor

Reaction score
Those may work, but my mount fits the phone case purfect:)

8th Infantry division

kyboy

Reaction score
So do the slip grips. I have one for my nexus with the otterbox commuter case. It is a perfect fit.

OP
xtor

xtor

Reaction score
So do the slip grips. I have one for my nexus with the otterbox commuter case. It is a perfect fit.

I'll have to check one out for my other vehicles.

8th Infantry division

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I like magnetic mounts like mountek and Infiniapps that you insert into cd slots.

twister6

Reaction score
I like magnetic mounts like mountek and Infiniapps that you insert into cd slots.

Don't you worry about breaking your car stereo head unit if it gets stuck in there? Like for example when you go over the bump and all the pressure on that cd slot connection? That's probably the only thing that stops me from using one of these.

To OP, clever idea! Does the epoxy holds over time, over bumps, and as temperature in the car changes? I'm actually using my Note 2 with zerolemon extended battery and their case for it, and it's exactly the same dimensions as Otterbox. So this setup might work for me as well. Just that I'm not a fan of otterbox holster lol!!! My other options is to go with Arkon Slim grip ultra mount. That one is spring loaded and will fit anything, even note 2 in otterbox. Not sure if there is any other options to buy under $20, unless you guys can recommend it?

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Don't you worry about breaking your car stereo head unit if it gets stuck in there? Like for example when you go over the bump and all the pressure on that cd slot connection? That's probably the only thing that stops me from using one of these.
Nah, it only goes in about 3/4 inch deep. And who uses cds these days anyways? If they broke em, they wouldn't be so popular.

twister6

Reaction score
Nah, it only goes in about 3/4 inch deep. And who uses cds these days anyways? If they broke em, they wouldn't be so popular.

I was worried more about breaking the head unit itself, for re-sale value of the car :) I have one of those non-removable car stereo units. But you know, it's probably all in my head. Plus, CD mount will block some of my climate controls and other switches around it. I'm just used to suction cup mounts. Most of the new ones, like the one from Arkon and iOttie all have this new sticky gel type that sticks even to uneven surface like a cement. Just based on the dimensions, iOttie will not have enough grip length for my Note 2 with a large case, so Arkon slim grip ultra is the only option to future proof it. Phones are getting bigger, batteries are getting bigger and heavier, cases are getting bigger, and so on... I can't keep up with buying new car mount for every phone, so gotta future proof it ;)