Car dock not working right?

OP
Riley

Riley

Reaction score
If I could plug the cables in and then put the phone in the mount it wouldn't be so bad (just like OG), it's the having to reach up and plug it in through the hole in the mount that's stupid. My windshield is too steep to be doing that easily.

I hear you that would be a PITA. I ended up sticking the suction base in my cup holder on my console(it happens by chance to be a snug perfect fit) and my cables are right there with easy access, not ideal, but works for me and for now I use the mount/phone in portrait mode like normal, and no car mode. Actually almost like using the phone better than the slightly limited car dock mode anyways.

lanza_david

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Samsung and I asked the rep to ask his manager if Samsung has plans to release a vehicle dock with the charging port and sound, and I was told they are not. That there is pretty much it for me. I am not getting the Nexus.

Last edited:

ShiroZ31

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Samsung and I asked the rep to ask his manager if Samsung has plans to release a vehicle dock with the charging port and sound, and I was told they are not. That there is pretty much it for me. I am not getting the Nexus.

The one listed on the UK sites is for the GSM Euro-phones, which are slightly thinner. It apparently wasn't worth it to samsung to redesign the mount for the US/VZW market. I'll import one from Europe if I have to and make it work.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score

Damn, if they are really not doing any CDMA version for the US that's a real PITA...makes me appreciate Moto even more, they always had desk and car docks available on or before their phones release. If someone figures out a DIY on this that isn't too complex, I would LOVE to get any specs/instructions/guidance they might have.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
So anyone know if the version with the ports used over seas will work with the lte version? I might just "build" my own so to speak. Just need to figure out which of the 3 prongs on the side do what. And make my own

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

If you end up figuring this out, really appreciate it if you can start a new thread w/the info...

ShiroZ31

Reaction score
Maybe I'll just root my GN (doing this anyway) and wifi tether my OG to use nav while I'm in the car. That's not insane at all...

zathus

Reaction score
Okay so, I sacrificed a 3.5 millimeter male to male adapter to see if I could get the 3 prongs to read music or do something. Nothing happened doesn't have to be activated? I'll keep messing with it, but so far nothings happening

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Sal Khan

Reaction score
I ordered this:

Fommy Samsung Car Mount: have no idea how it will work but because I travel nearly 4000 miles per month for work, this convenience is important to me. Especially with the USB and Audio being on the bottom and next to each other. So far it's the ONLY thing I miss about the Droid X.

Last edited:

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
I ordered this:

Fommy Samsung Car Mount: have no idea how it will work but because I travel nearly 4000 miles per month for work, this convenience is important to me. Especially with the USB and Audio being on the bottom and next to each other. So far it's the ONLY thing I miss about the Droid X.

That looks like the one they have in Europe for the GSM version, please post a review on how it working for you cuz this is exactly what i'm looking for. I also want to know in it comes with the suction plate to mount it on the dashboard..

ShiroZ31

Reaction score
I ordered this:

The pictures are of the ECS-K1F2BEGSTD that is on the UK site I linked earlier. But Fommy lists it as the ECS-K1F8BEGSTA, which is the PN for the one I just returned to Verizon. I emailed them to check. Hopefully they didn't just steal the pictures from another website...

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
The pictures are of the ECS-K1F2BEGSTD that is on the UK site I linked earlier. But Fommy lists it as the ECS-K1F8BEGSTA, which is the PN for the one I just returned to Verizon. I emailed them to check. Hopefully they didn't just steal the pictures from another website...

Good observation, they do list it to have built in charge and audio ports... I wonder if its just an error..

SniperDroid

Reaction score

It would be nice if we could find someone that actually had one in stock. Even the Samsung USA site lists them as not in stock. Fomy has none yet, and neither does the British site that made those great videos of the dock's in use. I'm thinking I'll just wait a while until I can see one in my hands....

Sal Khan

Reaction score
Normally this wouldn't bother me so much but with the way the charger connects to the phone, the last thing I want to do is strain the port on the phone causing it stretch or be damaged.

That and the fact that the Audio out is right next to it makes for a big-ol-mess of wires in my Suburban. :D

zathus

Reaction score

well, I bought one and took a SS of the description and pics. if it turns out to be the one I took back to verizon today,. then ill just return this one too