Car Dock and Charger

Leonidas

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been raised before. I was just browsing the official Samsung USA website and I see that Samsung sells essentially the same car dock and charger that Verizon sells -- that is, the "no power" car dock and stand up charger that employs the micro USB connector. I declined to buy these accessories when I purchased my phone because they don't take advantage of the charging pins on the side of the phone. While cruising the web, I see that Samsung makes and markets in the EU a car dock that utilizes the 3 pins on the side of the GNex and that also includes a headphone jack. Samsung also has developed a charger base that allows the phone to lay on its side in the landscape mode and receive a charge through the 3 pins. It appears the the charger may not be on the market yet. See these links:

Genuine Samsung Galaxy Nexus Vehicle Dock - ECS-K1F2BEGSTD

Samsung Desk Stand for Galaxy Nexus - EDD-D1F2BEGSTD

Does anyone know if these official Samsung accessories are going to become available in the USA and if so, when?
I'd hate to have to buy these items internationally. The UK prices are steep.

thanks

BOA

Reaction score
So I take it the accessories you just listed are not for the US Nexus huh?

OP
Leonidas

Leonidas

Reaction score
I dont think that there is any difference externally between the USA version and the EU version of the phone. The accessories that i.provided links to should work just the same.

OP
Leonidas

Leonidas

Reaction score
I would guess that the small difference in thickness wouldn't make the accessories a non-fit. The car dock looks like its made from silicone or a similar substance that has some give. I dunno. Maybe the thickness issue explains why these accessories aren't sold in the USA. If that's the case I hope that Samsung develops versions for the USA.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
I have held back on buying a car dock for the same reason but i think i am going to go with this...

Edit: Just ordered it...

Last edited:

BOA

Reaction score
If it wasn't so expensive I would have gone for it and tried my luck.

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
yea the combination of the two components came up to $73.. But this is the best setup for my Jeep as it has a fairly small windshield and this mounts off the dashboard.. I didn't get the one with the wired charger though as i have a car charger already. And anyway i work a mile away from home so a rarely charge in the car..

pnovak67

Reaction score
Proclip car cradle & mount

I've been using ProClip cradles on my MotoQ, BB Storm, and most recently my OG Droid. IMHO they're the best vehicle solution. Even had one on my motorcycle. It's hard to justify the price of the wired cradles but once you start using one the convenience outweighs the cost....

Can't wait until the GNex wired cradles are available!

recommended! ProClipUSA

I have held back on buying a car dock for the same reason but i think i am going to go with this...

Edit: Just ordered it...

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
I've been using ProClip cradles on my MotoQ, BB Storm, and most recently my OG Droid. IMHO they're the best vehicle solution. Even had one on my motorcycle. It's hard to justify the price of the wired cradles but once you start using one the convenience outweighs the cost....

Can't wait until the GNex wired cradles are available!

recommended! ProClipUSA

Thanks, glad to see a positive review... isn't this the wired cradle

Ehttp://www.proclipusa.com/?sectionp...older=false&have_mount=true&p_pageid=1&dtype=dit: just noticed those are for pre-order...

zathus

Reaction score
I ordered the one from fommy. Got this email today

Hello, We'd like to apologize for the incomplete response which was sent previously. The vehicle dock which we have is not the same as that which is offered by Verizon. This dock connects to your phone using the 3-pin connector on the side, in order to charge and output audio through the dock's connections. Please let us know if you have any additional questions. Thanks

Ticket Details =================== Ticket ID: TAR-618474 Department: Fommy.com HelpDesk Priority: Low Status: Open

So....guess I'll find out in a month or so. Think it ships on the 23rd

Larry Mahnken

Reaction score
I ordered the one from fommy. Got this email today

Hello, We'd like to apologize for the incomplete response which was sent previously. The vehicle dock which we have is not the same as that which is offered by Verizon. This dock connects to your phone using the 3-pin connector on the side, in order to charge and output audio through the dock's connections. Please let us know if you have any additional questions. Thanks

Ticket Details =================== Ticket ID: TAR-618474 Department: Fommy.com HelpDesk Priority: Low Status: Open

So....guess I'll find out in a month or so. Think it ships on the 23rd

That's like, the third different response I've seen from them. One said that it did *not* have the 3-pin connectors.

If they're selling one with the 3-pin connectors for the CDMA Nexus, they're gonna get a ton of business in a month.

pilot25

Reaction score
I guess you guys go naked with the docks. What docks have you used with cases or do you take the case off everytime you get in the car? That's not very convenient with the otterboxes.

Stormy Knight

Reaction score
What is the part # of this particular charging car dock from fommy? I can't seem to find it on their website.