Can't install google maps update

sethjk

Reaction score
So I'm having trouble installing the latest google maps update. I've tried updating numerous times and even uninstalled maps and I still can't get the update to take. Any suggestions?

hellboar

Reaction score
I have been having this problem in general with this rom. I'll have to close and exit out, or retry a download several times to get something to install from market. However with the new google maps update, I am in the same boat. None of my "tricks" to get the downloads to actually work have gotten this 4.3.0 google maps.

strang66

Reaction score
I am also having the same issue. Anyone have an answer?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Aixelsyd

Reaction score
Don't feel bad it is an ongoing issue with all the Froyo builds. Heck I have a Droid that was actually flashed with the Froyo SBF file and it will not update even so it is not just this ROM. i've also talked with multiple friends today who are all using different versions of Froyo and none can get it to install.

However with that said from what I'm told from another a buddy who works at Moto is there is nothing changed in version 4.3 that we don't already have in the 4.2 build that was part of Froyo. His suggestion was to disregard it and not worry about the 4.3 update.

OP
S

sethjk

Reaction score
Don't feel bad it is an ongoing issue with all the Froyo builds. Heck I have a Droid that was actually flashed with the Froyo SBF file and it will not update even so it is not just this ROM. i've also talked with multiple friends today who are all using different versions of Froyo and none can get it to install.

However with that said from what I'm told from another a buddy who works at Moto is there is nothing changed in version 4.3 that we don't already have in the 4.2 build that was part of Froyo. His suggestion was to disregard it and not worry about the 4.3 update.
That'd be good news IF I HADN'T DELTED GOOGLE MAPS in an attempt to get the update to take. Anyplace I can find it again?

OP
S

sethjk

Reaction score
Thank G-D for titanium backup. All's good in the world again

hepbone

Reaction score

Nothing in the update but worthy updates... Better reviews section, better transit info with schedules, and much needed updates to Latitude.

Google Maps for Android Helps You Find the Right Place, Catch a Train, and Add Latitude Friends - Official Google Mobile Blog

Aixelsyd

Reaction score

Nothing in the update but worthy updates... Better reviews section, better transit info with schedules, and much needed updates to Latitude.

Google Maps for Android Helps You Find the Right Place, Catch a Train, and Add Latitude Friends - Official Google Mobile Blog

I guess if you consider that worthy updates then so be it. Meaingless in my view to be perfectly honest. To each is to there own tho I guess.

Fact is it won't update on the Froyo ROMs at this time. Was just talking with 2 devs on Froyo builds and they can not get it to update even doing it manually. So they are looking to get the *.apk from someone who has a nexus 1 to maybe port it over for use on Droid.

jrummy16

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Ok, got it working. If you want the google maps update do this in terminal

su
mountsys
rm system/app/Maps.apk
cd system/bin
sh pm uninstall com.google.android.apps.maps
unmountsys

Then download the undated maps from the market and your good to go.

Retribution

Reaction score
thanks for the quick reply, wish I would have backed up maps before I uninstalled it, cause now I dont have maps, and I cant install it from the market? Any suggestions before I reflash the rom?

mustang90

Reaction score
Ok, got it working. If you want the google maps update do this in terminal

su
mountsys
rm system/app/Maps.apk
cd system/bin
sh pm uninstall com.google.android.apps.maps
unmountsys

Then download the undated maps from the market and your good to go.

Tried this exactly, after the "sh pm" line terminal says "failure." Please help, now my maps is gone and the new one still fails... Any help is appreciated!

jgrubbs

Reaction score
it worked perfect for me, make sure you typed it exactly. only thing i noticed is that the icon is no longer themed, but oh well.

Retribution

Reaction score
had the same problem as mustang, I got a failure error, but it still removed maps and I cant install maps from the market. I tried redoing it but I got no such file exists the second time

nightwo|f

Reaction score
jrummy's suggestion worked for me. make sure you mount sys as r/w and that Maps.apk is removed. I was doing the `pm uninstall ...` before removing Maps.apk and it was failing, but once removed it worked just fine (was doing it via adb shell, not that it should matter though).