Can't get default ringtone to stay set

jmrcsr

Reaction score
Hi all,

I downloaded a ringtone that I liked for my default. Easy enough. However, every morning when I turn my phone on, I have to keep resetting my default ringtone. It keeps disappearing from the list under "sounds & display." This was using the Mobilo ringtone app.

So I uninstalled the Mobilo app and installed a different ringtone app. which is simply called "Ringtone" with the red and yellow sound bar picture. Well, I turned the phone off and turned it on, and the default ringtone stayed on. But now the problem is if I download another ringtone to maybe set to a specific caller, that 2nd ringtone is taking over, and I can't set my original ringtone to be the default.

Is there some magic way to set my original ringtone to be the default and be done with it?

Thanks in advance,

Jan (jmrcsr)

OP
J

jmrcsr

Reaction score
UPDATE to ringtone problem

Well, I'm seeing I'm not alone in the ringtones not setting. What my husband and I did as a workaround was to connect the Droid to the computer, unmount the SD card and then copy a selected ringtone directly onto the SD card in the "Download" folder. Set that up as the default ringtone.

Then I had to go into each contact and set up the ringtone to my specified ringtone. Now the ringtones are holding.

Yes, we came up with a workaround, but it shouldn't work that way. We should be able to simply go to settings, Sound & Display and then set the default ringtone. But as soon as we turned the phone off and then turned it back on, the default ringtone was unchecked, not even the "silent" option was checked. Not only that, the ringtone wasn't even in the list.

We're using the Mabilo ringtones, not a foreign app.

I, too, was having the missed called problem as was a prior poster. We did several tests with the phone sitting next to us, saw that my husband was calling my phone but no ring at all.

But if you want to go through the painstaking process of going into each contact and setting the ringtone, it does work.

Jan (jmrcsr)

circsmonky

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
maybe its the ringtone apps your useing. the only ringtone app i have is ringdroid and i havnt used it to make any ringtones yet. make a folder on the sd card called ringtones. make sure any downloaded ringtones go there. they then show up with all the stock ringtones. if you want a notification make a notification folder.

xstahsie

Reaction score
How I Fixed My Ringtone Problem

:)

Just got my HTC Incredible (Android 2.1 installed). The problem I HAD with the disappearing ringtones are fixed. Maybe this fix will help you:

Blue = Caution
Red = Warning
Green = Instructions

(Note 1: I'm using a microSD card to store my MP3 & Ringtones).

(Note 2: You should be able to do this with your phone's internal storage if you are not using a microSD card.)
(Note 3: When your phone is MOUNTED to the PC, you CANNOT select or assign ringtones from your phone until your phone is UNMOUNTED).

1. Mount your phone using the USB cable to your PC .
2. On the root of the card, create a folder called "media", then inside the "media" folder, create a new folder called "audio", inside "audio" create two folders: "notifications" and "ringtones".
(DO NOT INCLUDE QUOTATION MARKS FOR FOLDER NAMES).

You'll have something like this after creating all these folders: e.g.
J:\media\audio\ringtones <<-- for RINGTONES
J:\media\audio\notifications <<-- for SMS/Alerts, etc.

3. Go back to your phone, UNMOUNT the USB connection, and select the app called "Music" (It's a STOCK application, so you should have it on your Android).

4. Find the music you like to turn into a ringtone, start up that music, press "menu" on your phone, and choose "Set as ringtone".

5. Now, you have the choice to trim the music file or not. (For this example, I suggest you trim the music to YOUR desire length; so that we can continue onto the next steps.)

6. After trimming, you can assign the ringtone as the Phone's default ringtone or assign it to a specific contact.

7. Now, MOUNT your phone again using the USB cable.

8. INSTEAD of going to your microSD card, we are going to go to the phone's Internal Memory.
(On your PC, click on START, choose "Computer" (or "My Computer" for Windows XP users) and find your phone's internal memory).

9. Open up the MOUNTED drive (in other words, select your phone's internal memory), located in "Computer" or "My Computer" and locate this folder called ".ringtonetrimmer". Open up the ".ringtonetrimmer" folder and you'll see a folder called "ringtones". Open up that "ringtones" folder, and you should see all of the ringtones that you've created earlier using the "music" app.

10. Drag/Cut/Move (whatever you want to call it) all the ringtones files from the "ringtones" folder (residing on the phone's internal memory), to the "ringtones" folder (created earlier, residing on the microSD card).

(Essentially, you drag the ringtones from your phone storage to the microSD card).

11. Now, UNMOUNT the phone. Goto your contact list to re-assign the ringtone to a specific person. OR goto "Settings" on your phone, choose "Sound & Display", and choose "Phone ringtone" to set a default ringtone for all incoming calls.

Following this instruction, you should be able to keep your assigned ringtones without having it revert back to something else.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
OP
J

jmrcsr

Reaction score
Thank you very much for you detailed reply. I will print out the instructions.

My husband and I were on the right track. We did figure out how to unmount the card. We just put the ringtones in the download folder. But we'll set it up with ringtones and notifications folders.

Thanks again!

Jan (jmrcsr)

xstahsie

Reaction score
NP

No problem. This HTC Incredible phone is my first Android phone, so I was very determine to make it work the right way. LOL!

So, far (and I hope for you too) the ringtones are 100% sticking to the assigned contacts. :)