Cant find an answer...Hoping someone can figure this out...

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
No I don't think you're being rude about the details, and I hope you don't think I am either. But hacking a cell phone is ALL about the details, but believe me, the Moto Droid is alot more forgiving than the old razr's, lol.

However, it cannot be stressed enough to READ, READ and READ the info/guides/posts, etc. I would have been answering sooner, but watching those video guides takes longer than reading one, plus, you can't print them out and some of them still leave stuff to be desired, IMHO. Don't get me wrong, I think they're a great SUPPLEMENT, but I'll take the stuff in writing everytime.

OK, your "E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 (or /dev/block/mmcblk0p0)" error gives me pause, as I've never heard of that one. That coupled with the intermittent sdcard errors leads me to think maybe something is wonky with your phone. Just for the record, I would have just used dmupdater (you did use that to root, correct?) to flash the SPRecovery, I remember when droidroothelper first came out and from all the posts, it NEVER worked right, and now the dev has pulled the paid version.

Anyways, did you go ahead and use the "wipe data and cache" option when trying to install the Cyanogenmod 5.0.6.2? And BTW, we'll just try to work on your phone, go ahead and keep the stock sdcard in it for now.

OP
J

jak86

Reaction score
Ok, glad that you mentioned me being detailed and not rude...as ive tried to state i really appreciate the help and am trying to post whatever needed to get the end result without sounding ungreatful because I really do appreciate being helped. I did try the wipe data and cache and backup and that was when I got the error 6 times and ended up at the clockworkmod menu. I mounted my phone to see what was downloaded for cyanogenmod and I believe I know which is the rom...I have 3 different websites with files in each, one of which has a file around 80mb. Im just tired of restarting using the sbf to get to 2.0.1, reactiviating and rerooting to try to get to the next step. So like I said im at the point that sprecovery wouldnt let me make up backup due to error status 31 and I had tried doing just the data & cache wipe without backup and still got the "E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 (or /dev/block/mmcblk0p0)" about 6 times before I was taken to the clockworkmod menu.

So again im waiting for instructions on where to go from here.

If it makes any difference, all I am really interested in doing at this time is changing the look of my phone, adding 5 screens instead of 3, overclocking which seems easy and I would like to have some sort of dedicated call button at the bottom like I have seen on a lot of roms instead of havin an icon out on the screen that sits with all of the other ones. From there as long as its stable and gives me everything im used to im content.

Thanks again!!!!

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
You're doing fine. I'm glad you don't think I'm being rude as sometimes I feel as though I am when I ask for more details over and over again (in other threads). Thx!

And hey, your addition of "Im just tired of restarting using the sbf to get to 2.0.1, reactiviating and rerooting to try to get to the next step" tells me alot, look to the part I put in bold. That tells me that you're getting a PASS every time you are using the .sbf file with RSD Lite.

But again I am stumped on the error message you are getting. And since I am an old Fu(# and going to log off until tomorrow night, you ask for further instructions, mine are suggesting you go no further for tonight (sorry). [where's the rest of the rescue squad? did you piss them off?]

Now as far as your goals, the things you want to do to you phone (except overclock) can pretty much be done by downloading and using the home replacement app, "home ++ beta" easily found in the market and free.

Before I fully close, please do this on your phone:

go to menu -> settings -> about phone; and list in detail everything from Firmware version on down.

OP
J

jak86

Reaction score
Ok from firmware version on down:

Firmware version: 2.0.1
Baseband version: C_01.3E.03P
Kernal Version: 2.6.29-omap1-godd7eob
android-build@apa26 #511
Build Number: ESD56

OP
J

jak86

Reaction score
Downloaded Home++. Not exactly what I was looking for but will work for now. Gives me somethin to play with until you can help me further.

Thanks again!!

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Ok from firmware version on down:

Firmware version: 2.0.1
Baseband version: C_01.3E.03P
Kernal Version: 2.6.29-omap1-godd7eob
android-build@apa26 #511
Build Number: ESD56

OK, this is very useful as it will indicate what themes, apps, and methods to use from here out. I re-read your 'what I really want to do' portion of your post again and realize that home++ is not all you want, you want to change the look of your phone, the easiest way to do so is to use Metamorph (do NOT download the latest version from the market, yet!) and the proper theme that is compatible with your firmware version.

But before you use Metamorph and the overclocking method I have for you, you need to have busybox installed on your phone. The easiest way to do both is to use ADB on your computer. I know this may seem like the ong way, but if we go this route, two things are going to happen. We will take baby steps and perhaps narrow down where your original problem (if any remains) was, and even better, you're going to learn alot more stuff and know even better what your doing to your phone and how and build your knowledge and confidence levels.

First things first. On your phone, go here: menu -> settings -> applications. Check the box for "Unknown sources". Then proceed to -> Developement. Check the box for "USB debugging" This hurts nothing on your phone, changes nothing and never needs to be undone. Remember that if you ever need to reflash with a .sbf file, these should be one of the first things you do. The first one allows you to install apps on your phone that you get from other than the market, the second allows your phone to accept ADB commands when plugged into your computer.

Now I'll rattle a few guides into here. If you need ADB go here:

Drivers/Software for your computer

Skim to the part for ADB. If you have adb and want to install busybox, the second half of this guide here:

Rooting your Droid and Installing busybox

The busybox file is linked near the top, though. After this, I'll guide you to getting the SPRecovery installed and see if we can get it to make a backup and then on to overclocking.

good luck for now.

OP
J

jak86

Reaction score
Also wanted to mention that im looking for improved battery life and from what I see having everything themed a little different than stock as well...im starting to hate the stock look more and more lol...prefer black notifications bars, buttons and so on.

Just wanted to add that as well which is another one of my many reasons for wanting to install roms...look and battery life being huge improvements in themselves.

Thanks again!!

OP
J

jak86

Reaction score
Just to update I have both files downloading. Im reading through both guides but i'll wait until further instructions...i dont have busybox installed except droidroothelper had something in one of the steps about install busybox. Ive never used adb on my computer either...thought Id let you know to better help you help me...lol.

Thanks

Last edited:

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Just to update I have both files downloading. Im reading through both guides but i'll wait until further instructions...i dont have busybox installed except droidroothelper had something in one of the steps about install busybox. Ive never used adb on my computer either...thought Id let you know to better help you help me...lol.

Thanks

OK, then go ahead and read the ADB guide. Let me know exactly which "both files downloading" two files you downloaded. Again, forget about droidroothelper.

OP
J

jak86

Reaction score
I downloaded the files for adb and busybox. I just didnt want to proceed any further since from what i understood busybox was installed when I used droidroothelper...I didnt want to jump ahead incase I already have it and installing it two different ways causes issues or something.

huskur

Reaction score
My opinion:

I know its a pain in the a$$ but use RSD Lite and flash back to 2.0.1 stock and then use DMUpdater to root/install recovery/ busybox/ and Droidmod ROM. This will get you a good start of where you want to be. DMUpdater will do it all for you. Once you have DroidMod ROM installed do your backup with SPRecovery (installed by droidmod during the process) and then upgrade to whatever custom ROM you like. Just make sure you WIPE!!! both Data and Cache TWICE at least when installing a 2.1 ROM.

Believe me..... This is your easiest path.

OP
J

jak86

Reaction score
So I just install busybox with what I downloaded from that website? Sorry if this is a stupid question but can you send me a link to droidmod if thats what I need.

Im trying to read and learn to figure this out and I do appreciate all the help but this is getting to be a pain lol.

Thanks!

OP
J

jak86

Reaction score
Tried installing busybox using that guide and couldnt get past the cd /system/xbin command. I know you said forget droidroothelper but I tried using that again to install busybox but again I dont know if it was successful or not

OP
J

jak86

Reaction score
Just for fun I copied everything off of my 16gb microsdhc to my 4gbmicrosdhc and tried to backup using rom manager...got the same error:

"E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 (or /dev/block/mmcblk0p0)
(No such file or directory)"

Still hoping for one of the droid gods to lead me to the light of roms! lol

OP
J

jak86

Reaction score
Starting to think everyone gave up on me. Just to update where I am now. I was able to root and get cyanogenmod 5.0.6.2 installed but was not able to backup using rom manager. I checked data and cache wipe and install google apps but as I just stated the backup didnt work and when I was able to reboot into cyanogenmod I didnt have my market and gmail and so on. If I try to go back into clockworkmod recovery to do a data and cache wipe it freezes for a second and then reboots. Im still getting that error:

"E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 (or /dev/block/mmcblk0p0)
(No such file or directory)"

when trying to backup. I just downgraded again...for about the 10th time literaly...and now when I just try to root it gives me that error which means ill be going back for the 11th time.

Im hoping someone can tell me what this error means or if anything else tell me how I can lie to verizon to get my phone exchanged. Tried giving them a story that I occasionally get sd card removed errors and have to do a battery pull but was told to call customer support once it does it from another phone.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated so I can finally enjoy my droid to its full potential like everyone else lol. I think ive gone through this process enough times with somewhat results to show it cant be operator error.

As always thanks again for any help offered!!