Cant find an answer...Hoping someone can figure this out...

jak86

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Ive posted a few questions and never really got anywhere so here is my situation...hoping for some help lol.

This would be day 3 that ive tried to root, backup with sprecovery and install roms on my phone. My first try I was able to downgrade to 2.0.1 to get all the way to Bugless Beast v9 but my phone kept saying SD Card removed and I wasnt able to make a backup with advanced or simple backup in the recovery console using 99.3.

My second attempt I redowngraded again and was able to make a backup at first but again once I had BB v9 installed same thing with the sd card and wasnt able to restore my original, kept giving me errors about cant mount my sd card.

My third attempt I was able to root, couldnt get sprecovery to backup and when I tried to install UD v9.8 this is the error I got:

-- Install from sdcard --
Finding update package..
E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 (or /dev/block/mmcblk0p0)
(No such file or directory)
E:Can't mount SDCARD.update.zip
Installation aborted.

Downgraded again and how I am not even able to root, gives me the error that it cant mount my sd card.

Im lost to what the problem is. If i run it stock both when I first started with 2.1 and when its downgraded to 2.0.1 my sd card works just fine. Ive only had my droid a month or so and up until 3 days ago have never had any storage problems.

Can someone please help me?? Money is tight right now so I can exactly afford to go out and just buy another sd card but if thats what I need i'd really like to hear from someone that knows a lot about these phones and can give me some good insight. Maybe im just doing something wrong? I had been able to root it the first 3 times. I found those videos by vtothez and was going to try to follow those instead of matth3ws how to guide but now I cant even root.

Thanks in advance!!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If it is your sdcard (which I believe it could be) then you could.

A) unroot to stock and remove all rooted files
b) flash rsd lite

Both will achieve the same goal....but see if you can take it to verizon to exchange for a new sdcard.

OP
J

jak86

Reaction score
So your saying leave my phone unrooted, right now its stock on 2.0.1 and take it to verizon to get another sd card? How am I gonna convince them its bad? When its stock it runs just fine, the phone recognizes it. As far as rsd lite, if im understanding you correctly, I am able to use that to get back to stock

Last edited:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you rooted 3 times I am trying to eliminate it is user error. The only other thing is if you are having problems putting files from your computer to your phone (ie pics) and you are unable to view pics or keep getting errors then it may be your sdcard.

The point I am trying to make that it is either user error or the sdcard. If it is the sdcard then you will probably have problems with more then just root files.

OP
J

jak86

Reaction score
When its stock I am able to copy files to it without any problem. The phone recognizes the sd card and when plugged into my computer it also recognizes it. However like I said I was able to root the first 3 times but ran into problems trying to backup 2 of the times. Both times I had Bugless Beast installed it would automatically come up as SD Card Removed with a little ! in the icon. If your familier with the tutorials by vtothez, I watched his video on rooting, which is the exact same way ive done everytime. I downloaded the update.zip onto my sdcard, same as always with only 1 .zip at the end, and rebooted my phone into recovery. As soon as I try to run the update.zip I get that error in my op.

Sorry if I'm being confusing or vague, I just dont understand what the proble is when i'm following the tutorials exactly as they are written.

Thanks again for replying!

OP
J

jak86

Reaction score
Just went and bought a 4 gig microsdhc (couldnt afford a 16gb) and getting the same error. So did I do something to my phone itself? I did reformat on my phone before trying

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
jak86, slow down, you might get a more harmonious outcome.

As you have found out, your problems had NOTHING to do with your stock sdcard. IMHO, I think your problems all stemmed from your choice of ROMs. And I am not going to dis any one, BUT I am going to say this; before I try someone's ROM on my phone, I am damn sure going to read up about it as much as I can. If I read about alot of problems, I'm gonna pass. I've read about nothing but problems with UD. I personally experienced nothing but problems with BB. Nuff said.

To get you back, try going back via RSD Lite to 2.0.1 and then proceed from there, avoiding troublesome ROMs.

OP
J

jak86

Reaction score
Avoiding troublesome roms at this point has nothing to do with being able to root and backup. Just for kicks i upgraded to 2.1 and now i'll give it one more shot downgrading to 2.0.1 and go from there

OP
J

jak86

Reaction score
Heres a bit of an update. I downgraded to 2.0.1 successfully. Try to root using dmupdater and eoeappinstaller. Got everything to work as far as the video tutorial until I had to reboot. When I was in the recovery console, as I watched the video I followed his directions to apply the update.zip and got that error again. So is my problem my phone?

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Well, when I had to flash using RSD Lite to ESD56, the method I used to get back to where I wanted to be are at the end of this post here:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-solutions/37644-brick-not-brick.html

I also used dmupdater to re-root my phone but have never heard of the "eoeappinstaller" app so I am at a loss there. If you still have problems, please post a link to these video tutorials so I/we can see exactly what steps you're taking.

OP
J

jak86

Reaction score
Here is the link:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...android-backups-custom-roms-etc-easy-way.html

Following his video and using the new sdcard I bought I was finally able to get it to root. Now gonna try to backup then install a custom rom and whatnot. So far I guess it was the sdcard. The first time I tried it with the video tutorial it didnt work as I posted earlier but with the new one it does. I'll try to update as I get time to move farther into hacking but so far so good.

OP
J

jak86

Reaction score
Ive come to the conclusion that its the phone...unless someone else can give me a reason why not. I was able to root and backup using those video tutorials and I was successful in both. How ever when I tried to install Smoked Glass v 6.0.1 my phone locked up at the m logo. I had read a few people had that problem so I figured i would restore my stock backup and try again. Couldnt restore my backup...which was there before I tried to install Smoked Glass. Everytime I tried to do an advanced restore I got the same cant mount sdcard error and if I tried using the simple restore I got the error status 20. This last time I was using the new sd card which is only 4gb but still a sd microhc. Has anyone ever heard of a stock phone having the removed sd card error running 2.01 or 2.1 stock? Was going to use this as an excuse at verizon to get another phone.

Any other ideas would be great.

Thanks again everyone for the replies

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Well, in the link you provided there are actually nine videos, am I correct to assume you meant the first one? If so, that is only meant if your phone started with exactly the firmware as shown, i.e. ESD56. If we are to be able to help in a complicated situation like this, the more details we give, listing the exact steps you are taking and exactly where you get the error instead of us trying to guess which video and where you had problems would be more helpfull. Also, while rooted can you access your sdcard via the phone's menu system, i.e. say the gallery app as pilotcharles747 asked? I still think it is something either you might have overlooked or the actual rom you're trying to use. I have heard of problems with AdamZ latest.

If nothing else, why not try the last few steps I did in the link I provided and instead of loading your last working backup when you get to the rom manager portion, try using CyanogenMod 5.0.6.2 instead and then let us know.

good luck

OP
J

jak86

Reaction score
I dont know how to be anymore specific. Please dont think im being rude in saying that because I do appreciate all the responses and help but tell me exactly what you would like to know that I havent stated and id be happy to explain in more detail, if you didnt catch it earlier im new to all of this and am trying to learn as fast as I can. Like I said I was able to follow the root from 2.0.1 using dmupdater.apk. After that I used the create nandroid backup video using droidroothelper and I was able to restart in recovery mode and see my backup that I created. I was able to install smoked glass but it wouldnt go past the m logo and if I tried to do a restore it would give me the error sdcard cant be mounted...sorry i didnt write it down. Tomorrow I will give it another shot and try to get very specific. I will look at your link and see how far I can get and ill post back with results. Please let me know what all I can post to be more specific in making it easier for you to help me.

Once again thanks for all the help

OP
J

jak86

Reaction score
Ok so heres where I am as of right now...trying to be as specific as I can. I am rooted but was not able to make a backyup using droidroothelper to install sprecover 99.3b...kept getting a error status 31. Downloaded rom manager and installed clockworkmod recovery. I downloaded cyanogenmod 5.0.6.2 and once it comeplete asked me to perform backup and data/cache wipe. I checked both and had it restart. It rebooted and gave me the "E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 (or /dev/block/mmcblk0p0)" 6 times i believe then booted to the clockworkmod menu. Should I try to keep going or is there something I forgot? I am using my 16 gb sd card that came with my droid but I can try to use my 4gb microsdhc...just need to know and if so do I just copy everything straight from this one to that one?

I dont know if this makes any difference but after I rooted I had gone into recovery just to see if it was the stock or sprecovery and of course it was the stock. When I rebooted I got the sd card removed error again. I rebooted into recovery again and then from in the menu rebooted again and the sd card removed error was gone.

So now I need to know where to go from here. Didnt want to jump ahead without some feedback since this is about my 5th try.

I hope that was specific enough and as always thanks for the help!!