Can't change voicemail number from *86

SnerdlyBosco

Reaction score
I'm using Google Voice on Droid X and would like to use the voicemail icon for checking Google Voice voicemail instead of carrier voicemail.

Search of the older Droid forums show instructions for changing assignment of voicemail feature, but seems to be different on Droid X.

Problem is the "voicemail" button always dials *86 and goes to carrier voicemail.

In Settings | Call Settings | Voicemail service, Google Voice is selected
In Settings | Call Settings | Voicemail settings, Settings for Google Voice is selected
In speed dial #1, I added my Google Voice number
In contacts, I added a contact for "voicemail" and entered my Google Voice number

With all that set, however, pressing the voicemail icon on the native dialer or the voicemail icon in programs results in dialing *86 and connecting to carrier voicemail.

Not a huge problem as Google Voice app or speed dial 1 can get me where I want to go, but it's an annoyance to have a feature that doesn't do what I want.

Yarzospatflute

Reaction score
Well you've got the top two search results for "change *86 to google voice", the first on the Google Mobile Help Forum and the other is this thread.

I set up my GV VM number as a speed dial so all I need to do is long press 1 but I'd like the convenience of being able to use the icon for VM that's already there. Hopefully someone can figure out how to change this.

Dissonance

Reaction score
There is an option in the GV app to switch it for you and within GV on the web you can switch it (it has you dial a code to verify).

OP
S

SnerdlyBosco

Reaction score
@dissonance

As stated in the OP, even with the options selected (and code entered), the "voicemail" icon on the Droid X dialer continues to dial *86 instead of the Google Voice number.

My goal is to find where that *86 lives in the phone's code, and replace it with my Google Voice number.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
AFAIK you cannot reprogram the voicemail number.

Create a speed dial for your Google Voicemail.....

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I like *86. You know it was easy to remember, like being eighty six'd at a bar. :D

91STT

Reaction score
you can change the vm number by going to your dialer & key in ##7764726 and press dial
Enter 000000 for the SPC password and press verify
press 09 SMS/MMS setting
scroll down to Voicemail number
change the voicemail number and press done

rfranken

Reaction score
91STT
that doesn't change it in the right place, as when I went there it was already saying it would go to where i want it.....but the the shortcut icon still just goes to *86

Best option i see is to go to your contacts and set the Voicemail to how you want it. or go to where 91STT said and set it how you want it.

Then go to a blank spot on your homescreen.....press and hold. Choose Shortcut.....choose Contacts.....choose your Voicemail one.

1 press on the new VM shortcut opens it and 1 more press to actually call the number.
the stock VM shortcut took 2 presses also, but didn't go to where u wanted.

Note that it appears the new VM shortcut is only going to *86....but it will automatically dial your password for vm (as thats what i change mine to do) pause pause...password. works good.

2nd edit.
figured i'd add what it takes to do that as maybe everyone doesn't know.
instead of calling *86 and then having to dial in your password every time you can do the following.
set that number to
*86,,#1234#

,, is Pause Pause and the 1234 is what your password is to get to your voice-mail.

Last edited:

muddkattgowfo

Reaction score
OK Let me try this another way as I have done all the things listed above and has not really solved what I want to do.

In my contacts list I changed the number to *86,,1234,,11 and this works great if I go through contacts to dial my voice mail.

I created a shortcut using my contact VM number and that shortcut works fine.

HOWEVER and this is MY issue - on the Dial pad there is a voice mail icon at the bottom of the dialer and it will only dial *86. That is the one I am trying to change. There has to be a link I am missing.

Thanks and I love my Droid X

sirdroid

Reaction score
Go to SETTINGS --> CALL SETTINGS --> VOICEMAIL SETTINGS --> VOICEMAIL NUMBER --> change this to your google voice number and you are all set. Hope it helps.

Make sure your phone is activated in google voice settings on the web using the browser.

muddkattgowfo

Reaction score
Go to SETTINGS --> CALL SETTINGS --> VOICEMAIL SETTINGS --> VOICEMAIL NUMBER --> change this to your google voice number and you are all set. Hope it helps.

Make sure your phone is activated in google voice settings on the web using the browser.

If you meant this for me about changing the number I am not trying to change the number to Google voicemail I am trying to automaticly enter my password for my VZ voicemail.
Thanks

sirdroid

Reaction score

If you meant this for me about changing the number I am not trying to change the number to Google voicemail I am trying to automaticly enter my password for my VZ voicemail.
Thanks

I think I figured out your solution. Just follow the same steps,
Go to SETTINGS --> CALL SETTINGS --> VOICEMAIL SETTINGS --> VOICEMAIL NUMBER --> *86,,1234# hit save. Now each time you press #1 on the dial pad it automatically logs you into your VZ voicemail account. 1234 is whatever your VZ password is.

Last edited: