Can the Original Droid handle a 32 gb sd card?

pylopor

Reaction score
I bought one off Ebay, and it works but it'll freeze my phone when trying to read it, and it can't reformat it via the phone it's self. I am wondering if it's a flaw in the phone it's self . Because my computer can format it and put info on it, just the phone seems like it can't handle it.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
A couple things.

One, was it from Hong Kong/mainland China? If so there's a VERY good chance it's a dud.

Two, 32GB card support is a bit flaky.

Three, I can't really count. ;)

Four, what format are you trying to put on it? I believe it has to be FAT, not FAT 32 -- but I could be mixing them up. Try one then the other.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had one - Sandisk, it worked great but it messed with my custom recovery so bad I had to revert back to the 16gb -

OP
P

pylopor

Reaction score
Was from China, but made in Taiwan. I'm formatting via windows format so my three options are NTSF, FAT32, and EXFAT(which I don't even know what that is)

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am not sure where it was made, but I bought it directly from VZW and it was a Sandisk 32GB

OP
P

pylopor

Reaction score
well it reads it, for a second. Than I put pictures on it and the phone stalls when opening up Gallery, loads for a minute than basically gives up. Than I click out and go to camera it than tells me "sd must be mounted in order to take pictures" or something so I click and it says it is mounted. so I unmount and try to mount again and it restartes my phone. I know the sd card isn't fake because I'll plug it back to my computer and it will see every picture I put on it :) (Had a fake one before :/) that is why I am wondering if the phone can handle that big of card.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
There is no question that it can handle it for music/pictures and videos - but when you start to backup and restore things from within recovery is where I ran into problems

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
It can, but support is not as solid as it should be.

Sounds like that card just won't work, but have you tried unmounting the card from the settings, letting it sit for about ten minutes, and then checking if you can format the card? It might take a couple minutes to ready it for formatting once you unmount it, but if you give it ten it'll give it extra time since it's such a large card.

If not, well, your phone and that card just won't work, I'm sorry to say. :(

OP
P

pylopor

Reaction score
Than why would mine freak out when trying to view it? :/

OP
P

pylopor

Reaction score
Doing a full Format via my computer (This could take forever!) than I will put about 30 gigs of video on it from my computer and watch them to make sure it isn't the card, than I will try what you suggested and if I am able to watch the video from my computer I am going to assume it's my phone..

OP
P

pylopor

Reaction score
formatting done about a 3rd, was formatting when I made this thread. My computer isn't the best, so check back in about 2 years and see if I am still transferring files ;)