32 GB Micro SD help

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
I just recieved a 32 GB micro SD that I ordered for my D1 so that I can put more pictures and music and apps on it. I want to know why i must do to transition everything smoothly?

Should i transfer everything from my 16gb to my 32 gb and then plug in my 32 gb into my phone? do i need to format the 32 gb first before i install it in my phone or what? i just want to make sure i do everything right and wont mess up the memory card or my phone. thanks

FastKatt

Reaction score
Good question, I just got one on eBay. After I test that it is really 32gb I will also be looking for this answer.

Droid Does, Tapatalk!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Make sure your 32gb is formatted to work with the Droid, so pop it in and make sure it recognizes it, if it does you're good to go.

The way I'd do it:
1. Move all the files from the 16gb SD card to my PC
2. Pop the 32gb card into the phone
3. Move files from computer to 32gb card in the phone

Done!

Depending on what you have on your PC, mine has an SD card reader, so I would just transfer all the 16gb files from phone to the 32gb on the pc, much faster I believe.

FastKatt

Reaction score
What's the best way to know what is on the old card that is unneeded?

Droid Does, Tapatalk!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
What's the best way to know what is on the old card that is unneeded?

Droid Does, Tapatalk!

excellent question.

that differs for every user. I believe there are text messages, downloads, etc. on the sd card. most of the things found on your sd card come from apps so depending on what app you see as not needed would be the folder.

when i switched to my incredible there were many leftover files from my original droid that I no longer needed, such as; some root files, some downloaded, apps i never plan on installing on my incredible, etc.

just gotta go through them one by one...

FastKatt

Reaction score
What about temp files? Can I delete any folder named from an app I've uninstalled

Droid Does, Tapatalk!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
What about temp files? Can I delete any folder named from an app I've uninstalled

Droid Does, Tapatalk!

yes, that's what i did and no problems. apps you uninstall leave folders, as you've noticed, so they're just taking up space.

OP
H

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
Ok, so I installed the memory card into my phone and it worked. Now I need to just transfer all the files over. My next question, what is the benefit / purpose of moving apps from the phone storage to the sd storage?
I was thinking that it was to allow for your phone to free up memory and not be so junked down. Also I was thinking that maybe it would speed the phone up??? And how do I go about moving apps to my memory card? Thanks for all the help.
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
My next question, what is the benefit / purpose of moving apps from the phone storage to the sd storage?
Frees up internal storage.

Also I was thinking that maybe it would speed the phone up???
No. Keep in mind that your SD card is much slower than internal storage. Anything that is affected by transfer speed will be slower, to some degree, on the SD card. For some apps that may not have any impact. For other apps it might.

And how do I go about moving apps to my memory card?
Settings->Applications->Manage Applications. Select the app and see if the button to Move to SD Card is enabled for the app.

OP
H

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
ok, so i have been in the process of trying to move stuff from my 16gb to the 32 gb. I put everything from the 16gb on my computer. I saved it into a folder on the desktop. I then proceeded to stick the memory card into the side of the computer where i have an sd reader port. I then open up the 32 gb and also open up the folder of the 16 gb. I then select what i want to put on the 32 gb and drag it over and drop it onto the 32gb folder. Most of it at this point has been music and photos.

The photos folder is labeld DCIM, i clicked on it and it says folder is empty. So i was like mmmmm..... thats werid. I then tried to play some music that i draged and dropped on it, and the music wouldnt play. So am i doing something wrong? is my memory card messed up? I did put the 32 gb in the phone and format it, so i dont know what is wrong or what i am doing wrong. SO if somebody can please help me out i would greatly appreciate it.

BlueSami

Reaction score
dang so i just got my sd card installed.

but i am having that same issue stating
nandroid exited with status 31.

so i guess i can't use the sd card in recovery...

AFAngryWarrior

Reaction score
I hope someone answers you... I just got a 32GB for my Droid X. I used my computers SD card reader to copy everything from my 16GB from the card to computer then from the computer to the 32GB. The phone shows all the folders on the card, but 90% of the folders are empty with nothing on them like someone else said. So I can't play music or load any of my saved apps, etc... If I can solve this I'll come back and let you know but it seems doubtful.