Can someone define these five things for me?

Experimentalist

Reaction score
Ringer
Notification
Media
Alarm
System

I'm trying to set up some profiles in Ringleader, but I'm a bit lost at the moment.

My guesses are:
Ringer (the "ring" of incoming calls)
Notification (notification sound for incoming texts and emails)
Media (no clue... music I'm listening to?)
Alarm (if I set an alarm... on the clock or on google calender?)
System (no clue)

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
Ringer
Notification
Media
Alarm
System

I'm trying to set up some profiles in Ringleader, but I'm a bit lost at the moment.

My guesses are:
Ringer (the "ring" of incoming calls)
Notification (notification sound for incoming texts and emails)
Media (no clue... music I'm listening to?)
Alarm (if I set an alarm... on the clock or on google calender?)
System (no clue)

:icon_ devil:

Ringer: The 6' 2" kid in your son's soccer league. After a long day of humiliating your team some of the dirt on his face looks suspiciously like 5 o'clock shadow.

Notification: Commonly preceded by the word eviction. Usually means you are about to find out why you should have been nicer to that homeless guy you brushed off last Tuesday.

Media: Entertainment industry who's primary product is sensationalism, hyperbole, and political propaganda. Sometimes refers to itself as the News.

Alarm: General emotional state of individuals who talk about, Ringers, Notifications, the Media, or the System.

System: Also, The System. The organization responsible for preventing unauthorized action. Works primarily though the ingenious use of disorganization to impede all actions. This saves time and money by eliminating the need to determine which actions are actually authorized.

Seriously, you've pretty much got it. I'll clarify a couple though.

Notifications are messages sent to you by services and apps on your phone. They show up in the Notification bar at the top. You can drag it down to see all your current notifications and ins come cases tapping on them will take you too the appropriate app. They may or may not have sounds associated with them, depending on your settings.

Media refers to audio, video, or picture files. It may also sometimes refer to text if the file is a book, magazine, or other traditional media type.

System: It is general catch all for all the little things that go on under the hood.

OP
E

Experimentalist

Reaction score
Heh... gotta love a man with a sense of humor.

Thanks for helping. There are so many "general" things I don't know/understand. Mostly it's about semantics, fortunately.

There is one other thing, though... I need to understand Wi-Fi versus 3G... and when I need one, the other, both, or neither.

Should I have WiFi on (enabled?)? If so, why?

I see on my settings that it is currently check-marked as on... but I'm not sure why I need it on if I'm already connect to the internet some other way.

This part is really confusing.

Last edited:

bhmhrex

Reaction score
You are currently connected to 3G with Verizon. Basically, if you are at home and have a wifi connection, shut your 3g off and use your wifi connection for data etc instead. It is faster, and it also saves on your battery. I have my set off when I am home and I also have my phone (Via battery manager) to shut off 3G data connection 15 minutes after the phone goes idle. By doing that, you won't get email notifications etc, but if you shut off your 3G and leave it on wifi you will. Your wifi is just a wireless internet connection that you may get at your home, starbucks, mcdonalds etc etc

OP
E

Experimentalist

Reaction score
You are currently connected to 3G with Verizon. Basically, if you are at home and have a wifi connection, shut your 3g off and use your wifi connection for data etc instead. It is faster, and it also saves on your battery. I have my set off when I am home and I also have my phone (Via battery manager) to shut off 3G data connection 15 minutes after the phone goes idle. By doing that, you won't get email notifications etc, but if you shut off your 3G and leave it on wifi you will. Your wifi is just a wireless internet connection that you may get at your home, starbucks, mcdonalds etc etc

Thanks for the speedy response (and for answering the 3G question... I edited my post once I realized what it was called... d'oh!).

I'm going to read your response over a few times slowly... I don't feel like I'm quite getting it yet.

When you say: "if you are at home and have a wifi connection" do you mean like if my phone just happens to get a wifi connection when I'm at my apartment ('cause I use hard-wired DSL for my home PC)?

Also, just because I have WiFi checked in the "on" position, does that mean I'm getting it or do I have to see some special icon on the front of my phone to let me know it's on AND active/working/receiving?

"...shut your 3g off and use your wifi connection for data etc instead. It is faster, and it also saves on your battery." That seems to make sense. I didn't realize my 3G uses more battery. So... how do I turn off 3G?

Is there any reason for me to ever turn off WiFi?

Are newbs with their endless kindergarten level questions considered annoying?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Thanks for the speedy response (and for answering the 3G question... I edited my post once I realized what it was called... d'oh!).

I'm going to read your response over a few times slowly... I don't feel like I'm quite getting it yet.

When you say: "if you are at home and have a wifi connection" do you mean like if my phone just happens to get a wifi connection when I'm at my apartment ('cause I use hard-wired DSL for my home PC)?

Also, just because I have WiFi checked in the "on" position, does that mean I'm getting it or do I have to see some special icon on the front of my phone to let me know it's on AND active/working/receiving?

"...shut your 3g off and use your wifi connection for data etc instead. It is faster, and it also saves on your battery." That seems to make sense. I didn't realize my 3G uses more battery. So... how do I turn off 3G?

Is there any reason for me to ever turn off WiFi?

Are newbs with their endless kindergarten level questions considered annoying?

If there is a network the phone can connect to, turn on the Wifi and connect. When the phone connects, it will automatically turn off 3G.

Wifi uses less battery when connected. If there is not a network to connect, turn wifi off so it will not be constantly searching for new networks. That's not a huge drain, but every little bit counts on these phones.

Good luck and keep asking questions - it makes us feel so smart (and some of us need all the help we can get in feeling smart!!). :):) We were all noob's at one time or another!!

OP
E

Experimentalist

Reaction score
If there is a network the phone can connect to, turn on the Wifi and connect. When the phone connects, it will automatically turn off 3G.

Wifi uses less battery when connected. If there is not a network to connect, turn wifi off so it will not be constantly searching for new networks. That's not a huge drain, but every little bit counts on these phones.

Good luck and keep asking questions - it makes us feel so smart (and some of us need all the help we can get in feeling smart!!). :):) We were all noob's at one time or another!!

Wow, thanks for helping me get a mental handle on this.

Okay, so now I just need (well, amongst many other things, but this is the issue d'moment) to figure out....

If I turn WiFi on by checking the TURN ON WIFI box, do I do anything with the next section (WIFI settings)?

url

I'm thinking the answer is no because I've got a little WiFi icon in the upper left of my homepage.

But according to the Droid 2 manual:

Wi-Fi search & connect
To find networks in your range:
1 Touch Menu > Settings > Wireless & networks
> Wi-Fi settings.
2 Touch Wi-Fi to turn on and scan. If Wi-Fi is already
on, touch Menu > Scan. Your phone lists the
networks it finds within range.
Tip: To see your phone’s MAC address or other
Wi-Fi details, touch Menu > Advanced.
3 Touch a network to connect.
4 If necessary, enter Network SSID, Security, and
Wireless password, and touch Connect. When your
phone is connected to the network, the wireless
indicator appears in the status bar.
Tip: When you are in range and Wi-Fi is on, you will
automatically reconnect to available networks you’ve
connected to before.

dcook12

Reaction score

Wow, thanks for helping me get a mental handle on this.

Okay, so now I just need (well, amongst many other things, but this is the issue d'moment) to figure out....

If I turn WiFi on by checking the TURN ON WIFI box, do I do anything with the next section (WIFI settings)?

url

I'm thinking the answer is no because I've got a little WiFi icon in the upper left of my homepage.

But according to the Droid 2 manual:

Wi-Fi search & connect
To find networks in your range:
1 Touch Menu > Settings > Wireless & networks
> Wi-Fi settings.
2 Touch Wi-Fi to turn on and scan. If Wi-Fi is already
on, touch Menu > Scan. Your phone lists the
networks it finds within range.
Tip: To see your phone’s MAC address or other
Wi-Fi details, touch Menu > Advanced.
3 Touch a network to connect.
4 If necessary, enter Network SSID, Security, and
Wireless password, and touch Connect. When your
phone is connected to the network, the wireless
indicator appears in the status bar.
Tip: When you are in range and Wi-Fi is on, you will
automatically reconnect to available networks you’ve
connected to before.

I think what he is saying is that he has a router for wireless wifi at home. I have one and need to use the wifi setting above in your screenshot because it is encrypted with a password. Once it found my router and my name associated with it, I put in the password and now it automatically connects when I am home. If you are home and just expecting to just find an access point from a neighbor or something you might not have much luck. If you search for networks and there is a lock next to it, that means they have a password protection on too...so you need a router to make sure you are connected (I would never suggest using someone else's router even know if they don't have it encrypted they are almost inviting you to share their internet connection) Of course there are places that advertise free wireless like hotels and some stores..your phone will find them on it's own. You can also search for available networks and pick one with the highest strength..

OP
E

Experimentalist

Reaction score
I think what he is saying is that he has a router for wireless wifi at home. I have one and need to use the wifi setting above in your screenshot because it is encrypted with a password. Once it found my router and my name associated with it, I put in the password and now it automatically connects when I am home. If you are home and just expecting to just find an access point from a neighbor or something you might not have much luck. If you search for networks and there is a lock next to it, that means they have a password protection on too...so you need a router to make sure you are connected (I would never suggest using someone else's router even know if they don't have it encrypted they are almost inviting you to share their internet connection) Of course there are places that advertise free wireless like hotels and some stores..your phone will find them on it's own. You can also search for available networks and pick one with the highest strength..

Thanks... I'm getting much closer to "full grasp" territory.

I don't use WiFi at home and I don't particularly want to be doing stuff on my phone using other people's WiFi if there's any security or other type of risks.

What would be the downside to always using 3G... slower? Uses more battery?

If so (to either of those), do I just leave the WiFi setting "on" and let my phone find WiFi when it's available?

If so, would I then want to switch back to 3G if I'm doing something password-oriented (like paying for something, etc)?