Can razr hd on system version 9.18.79.xt926 be rooted?

equartey

Reaction score
I just updated my Razr HD BY OTA to SYSTEM VERSION 9.18.79.XT926 yesterday.
i want to root it but i am afraid the old methods of rooting may not work on SYSTEM VERSION 9.18.79.XT926.
i need help.
maybe the great DAN ROSENBERG MAY SAVE THE SITUATION AGAIN.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
yep your stuck until someone finds a new method :( (assuming that didnt happen today and i didnt find it yet), unless you had unlocked the bootloader before the update,
then there are ways :)

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Dan says he is done working on moto phones. You may be out of luck.

Sent from my Droid Razr HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

KaChow

Reaction score
If you want to venture and explore new territory here. I've certainly played around with device, downgraded restored root and a better accepting version of 4.1.2 to accept the OTA. But, I've done this all through the ability of being Unlocked. What you could attempt to do and understand this is at your own Risk as it is uncharted territory afaik. Start by opening this site, based on your System version download the 4.1.2 MR2/9.16.6 and save it to your computer. Next, download RSD Lite 6.1.5 from here. Don't worry about installing the MTK Patch as it is not needed, if you have RSD Lite 6.1.4 that is fine, too. Go ahead and install RSD 6.1.5 to your computer and make sure before doing so you have the latest version of Device Manager on your computer. Make sure on your device you go into Settings> Developer options> USB Debugging and the check the box. Plug your device into your computer via USB, open up RSD Lite and make sure your device is connected in RSD> click on the small square box to the right of the long dialog address and it will open a drop down file opener> find the MR2/4.1.2 CFC and open it until the start to compress and install option is available and just let run, do not attempt to disconnect it, let run all the way through. If it is successful then your device will reboot and you will need to re-enter Google account info and reset everything. Also, if this does work check the Settings> About phone> System Version should be 9.16.6, if it is let everything restore, then go here for Motochopper and I would suggest Unlocking the bootloader here as you can Restore Root after the OTA if you lose Root only with an Unlocked Bootloader.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
If you want to venture and explore new territory here. I've certainly played around with device, downgraded restored root and a better accepting version of 4.1.2 to accept the OTA. But, I've done this all through the ability of being Unlocked. What you could attempt to do and understand this is at your own Risk as it is uncharted territory afaik. Start by opening this site, based on your System version download the 4.1.2 MR2/9.16.6 and save it to your computer. Next, download RSD Lite 6.1.5 from here. Don't worry about installing the MTK Patch as it is not needed, if you have RSD Lite 6.1.4 that is fine, too. Go ahead and install RSD 6.1.5 to your computer and make sure before doing so you have the latest version of Device Manager on your computer. Make sure on your device you go into Settings> Developer options> USB Debugging and the check the box. Plug your device into your computer via USB, open up RSD Lite and make sure your device is connected in RSD> click on the small square box to the right of the long dialog address and it will open a drop down file opener> find the MR2/4.1.2 CFC and open it until the start to compress and install option is available and just let run, do not attempt to disconnect it, let run all the way through. If it is successful then your device will reboot and you will need to re-enter Google account info and reset everything. Also, if this does work check the Settings> About phone> System Version should be 9.16.6, if it is let everything restore, then go here for Motochopper and I would suggest Unlocking the bootloader here as you can Restore Root after the OTA if you lose Root only with an Unlocked Bootloader.

just curious/speculating,
with the bootloader locked and new patch present, i dont see how this could work.
you cant re-flash the patch out of the bootloader, so you cant unlock it.

there would be no point in patching the unlock hole if we could just open it right back with rsd.

jmo

KaChow

Reaction score
just curious/speculating,
with the bootloader locked and new patch present, i dont see how this could work.
you cant re-flash the patch out of the bootloader, so you cant unlock it.

there would be no point in patching the unlock hole if we could just open it right back with rsd.

jmo

This really is just a theory, as nothing has been proven. If I had a Locked device would attempt this to find out. I'd like to exhaust all possibilities before ruling the "it can't be done" out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

joelbon

Reaction score

So, has anyone tried this? I would love to downgrade and try getting root again. I don't care about unlocking, I just want to have root. I lost it in the upgrade process. Thanks for any input!

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Thread moved to support section.