OTA 9.18.79 update fails

KaChow

Reaction score
For my backup I'm using adb -apk -all

The only thing to look for is the System apps as most of them changed with this update. You should be fine with the non-System apps like, ie Facebook.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

OP
C

chuckh1958

Reaction score
The only thing to look for is the System apps as most of them changed with this update. You should be fine with the non-System apps like, ie Facebook.

So are you saying I should not include the system apps with the backup? IOW modify my backup command to "adb backup -apk -all -nosystem" ?

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
if you followed KaChow's instructions and it is still failing, after you make any backups (if you want to), use matts utility to flash back to stock.
when finished, setup 1 email and dont update anything. next, root, then protect root with voodoo and temp disable. now go to system update and take the update.
it will not fail again because your phone is totally clean. after its done just re-enable root through voodoo and you should be all set.

KaChow

Reaction score
So are you saying I should not include the system apps with the backup? IOW modify my backup command to "adb backup -apk -all -nosystem" ?
You should be fine with the backup, my mention is that most of the system apps appeared to have changed from versions 4.1.2-6 to 4.1.2-34.

I've tried the above twice now and still fails to install the 9.18 OTA, what could I be missing?

Well, if you are receiving errors my suggestion would be to try this with your version 9.16.6 or if system version 9.16.9 . Download the appropriate version that you have to your computer and then transfer the file to the External SD Card. Next, set your OTA Rootkeeper if you plan on protecting Root, then Reboot hold Power + Volume (-) down> once screen goes black hold Power + Volume (+) up press the Volume (-) down button to highlight Recovery then press Volume (+) up> next at the dead android Hold Volume (-) down and quickly press Volume (+) up scroll the highlight to install from External Memory and press the Power button, find the OTA and press Power. This is a manual install, if you are having problems it is most likely that you will discover what issue is from here, as manual installs provide details as to what is Failing. If you continue to have errors after remedying the problem, I would suggest an FDR and if the FDR is unsuccessful I would recommend running an SBF, here is a link to all versions (includes ICS and JB) for our device. If you have never performed this type of reinstall pm me and I post instructions.

zombiacademy

Reaction score
Thanks, I did run the manual install, but wasn't paying attention the first go round to the error....turns out I'd frozen a file (Guided Tours) that it was looking for and now it won't find it to fix....
On the up side, from what I've read overnight about this update, looks like I'm not missing anything by NOT taking it as it appears mostly a security patch for Big Red to kill the bootloader exploit, and very little else (at least little that can't already be fixed with some tweaking and apps I already have).
Think I'm gonna pass this time round and worry about it when/if we get pushed 4.2.2.
Thanks for the help none the less!:icon_ banana:

OP
C

chuckh1958

Reaction score
Thanks, I did run the manual install, but wasn't paying attention the first go round to the error....turns out I'd frozen a file (Guided Tours) that it was looking for and now it won't find it to fix....
On the up side, from what I've read overnight about this update, looks like I'm not missing anything by NOT taking it as it appears mostly a security patch for Big Red to kill the bootloader exploit, and very little else (at least little that can't already be fixed with some tweaking and apps I already have).
Think I'm gonna pass this time round and worry about it when/if we get pushed 4.2.2.

Does this update not fix the problem where the device freezes if left on the charger overnight?

OP
C

chuckh1958

Reaction score
On the up side, from what I've read overnight about this update, looks like I'm not missing anything by NOT taking it as it appears mostly a security patch for Big Red to kill the bootloader exploit, and very little else:icon_ banana:

Where do you go to find out what's in the update?

KaChow

Reaction score

Here I suggest reading through this thread, I have put into this thread a lot of information about the update, topics on restoring Root, Unlocked Bootloaders, system apps, and more. The one thing you did not mention and it is rather an important part of this update is there is a new Baseband Radio that was included in the OTA. The current Radio on the stock 4.1.2 System version 9.16.6 or 9.16.9 is VANQUISH_BP_100730.160.64.09P> after the OTA the new Radio for System version 9.18.79 or 9.20.1 is VANQUISH_BP_100730.160.64.15P. I do recommend reading through the thread that Announces the OTA in the Android News section as there is a lot of information contained in the thread.

If you want just the New Radio here it is...

Last edited:
OP
C

chuckh1958

Reaction score
Thanks, couldn't get ANYTHING to work to get the full update...

Me either, but in the process of following KaChow's very well written instructions, I did a FDR. That seems to have fixed my original problem of the phone freezing when left on the charger overnight. It's been 4 nights in a row now without freezing. Unless that problem reappears I'm inclined to not apply this update. I'll probably just wait for CyanagenMod 10 to have an official release for this phone and once they do I'll start experimenting with flashing ROMs.

astipe

Reaction score
I did the manual install but am still getting a failure during the "verifying current system" step. The failure refers to this as the cause: "/system/app/LocationConsent.apk"
I've tried an FDR and am still getting a failure at the same point. Any clues? I'm not sure how to do an SBF and really would like to avoid it if I have to. Any thoughts?

You should be fine with the backup, my mention is that most of the system apps appeared to have changed from versions 4.1.2-6 to 4.1.2-34.

Well, if you are receiving errors my suggestion would be to try this with your version 9.16.6 or if system version 9.16.9 . Download the appropriate version that you have to your computer and then transfer the file to the External SD Card. Next, set your OTA Rootkeeper if you plan on protecting Root, then Reboot hold Power + Volume (-) down> once screen goes black hold Power + Volume (+) up press the Volume (-) down button to highlight Recovery then press Volume (+) up> next at the dead android Hold Volume (-) down and quickly press Volume (+) up scroll the highlight to install from External Memory and press the Power button, find the OTA and press Power. This is a manual install, if you are having problems it is most likely that you will discover what issue is from here, as manual installs provide details as to what is Failing. If you continue to have errors after remedying the problem, I would suggest an FDR and if the FDR is unsuccessful I would recommend running an SBF, here is a link to all versions (includes ICS and JB) for our device. If you have never performed this type of reinstall pm me and I post instructions.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
I did the manual install but am still getting a failure during the "verifying current system" step. The failure refers to this as the cause: "/system/app/LocationConsent.apk"
I've tried an FDR and am still getting a failure at the same point. Any clues? I'm not sure how to do an SBF and really would like to avoid it if I have to. Any thoughts?

did you delete or freeze that app? it could be corrupt also, but that's kinda rare.

astipe

Reaction score
did you delete or freeze that app? it could be corrupt also, but that's kinda rare.

I removed some bloatware some time ago before I paid for a pro key for titanium. I don't believe I would choose to delete an app or file related location services and I definitely don't remember doing so. What is that app for and how can I restore it if I did delete it?
I've done an FDR. Is that supposed to restore any apps that I may have deleted?

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
I removed some bloatware some time ago before I paid for a pro key for titanium. I don't believe I would choose to delete an app or file related location services and I definitely don't remember doing so. What is that app for and how can I restore it if I did delete it?
I've done an FDR. Is that supposed to restore any apps that I may have deleted?

fdr just wipes data, it wont restore or fix broken or missing system files.
you will need to obtain root again to try and fix this. get a root browser and go to that location to see if that apk is there at all.
i can pull the file for you a little later, if you want to replace it, or if its not there. let me know if you want it.