OTA 9.18.79 update fails

astipe

Reaction score
fdr just wipes data, it wont restore or fix broken or missing system files.
you will need to obtain root again to try and fix this. get a root browser and go to that location to see if that apk is there at all.
i can pull the file for you a little later, if you want to replace it, or if its not there. let me know if you want it.

What root browser would you recommend? Can you send me the apk just in case it's missing when I look? Thanks

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2

astipe

Reaction score

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Thanks! Can you explain what you mean by making sure the permissions are RW- R-- R-- ?

the permissions may be or set to that without you fixing it, but if they dont/arent, right click the file, choose permissions.
you should see a box something like this (ignore the dots)

..............read.....write......execute
owner (check) (check) (blank)
group (check) (blank) (blank)
others (check) (blank) (blank)

change the checks to match above if needed.

Goose71

Reaction score
I accidentally restored an older software version (9.16.6) and this morning received notification that an update was available. I dl'd and let it install but it failed. I followed Kachow's instructions for a manual update(which failed again) and the error I got was "apply_patch_check /modem/image/dsps.b01" along with a bunch of numbers. I have yet to do a FDR or SBF(trying to avoid those). Any suggestions?

astipe

Reaction score
the permissions may be or set to that without you fixing it, but if they dont/arent, right click the file, choose permissions.
you should see a box something like this (ignore the dots)

..............read.....write......execute
owner (check) (check) (blank)
group (check) (blank) (blank)
others (check) (blank) (blank)

change the checks to match above if needed.

So I moved the file over, changed permissions, and made sure that ownership was set to root, root. I tried the manual install and again it failed with the device temp unrooted. the error actually refers to "locationconsent.odex" vs .apk any clue what that means?

astipe

Reaction score
Bump!

So I moved the file over, changed permissions, and made sure that ownership was set to root, root. I tried the manual install and again it failed with the device temp unrooted. the error actually refers to "locationconsent.odex" vs .apk any clue what that means?

I've looked around without much luck for a concise answer, can anyone explain the difference between .odex and .apk and why I might be seeing the error here?

Alternatively, I noticed that there's a stable release of CM out for the xt926. Would I be able to avoid having to deal with all this if I switched ROMs?

astipe

Reaction score
Bump! Pls hlp

Bump!

I've looked around without much luck for a concise answer, can anyone explain the difference between .odex and .apk and why I might be seeing the error here?

Alternatively, I noticed that there's a stable release of CM out for the xt926. Would I be able to avoid having to deal with all this if I switched ROMs?

So here's my monthly bump. I haven't had a lot of time the past month to try and fix this but I've pretty much accepted that I will need to flash back to stock. If no one can help with my Locationconsent.odex issue can someone at least help me with these questions?

1. How would I go about flashing back to stock? Do I use this: DROID RAZR HD Utility 1.21 - [SCRIPT] DROID RAZR HD Utility 1.21 - Windows/Mac/Linux - xda-developers
2. If I do flash back to stock, can I use TitaniumBackupPro to restore all of my apps and settings (homescreens, etc...)? (I have scheduled full backups performed weekly and synced to my dropbox, I assume I would just reinstall Titanium, connect it to my DropBox and restore from the Batch Actions page?)
3. I plan to try out CM 10.1.3, Can I just go to CM directly without flashing back to stock and the locationconsent issue might go away?

Thanks! Sorry for the n00b questions, don't have as much time these days to dedicate to this stuff.

astipe

Reaction score
NVM - ended up flashing to Stock w/ the 1.21 utility. Screwed myself by not checking to make sure my Titanium Backups were actually saving to my dropbox. Ends up that even though I have hundreds of files in the backup, I was only able to restore data to 15 apps and data since a month ago isn't there. fml

OP
C

chuckh1958

Reaction score
Okay, so here are the next steps.

1) Install this app, OTA Snatcher this app will make a copy of your OTA which based on your system version 9.16.6 the OTA will be labeled something like "Blur_Version.9.16.6.XT926.Veizon.en.US" - I'll get to this step in moment for now download this app.

2) Install the app OTA Rootkeeper, this is to backup Root.

3) Go ahead and make all of your backups to this point, you will need to do an FDR, and this will erase all Data and everything. So make your backups of the apks, I should note that you will most likely only be able to restore the data on each individual apk, I don’t know what you’re using. If you are backing up the System and Data as a ROM Backup, if the OTA is successful you will not be able to use the ROM Backup as this OTA changes the System version and Baseband, restoring a backup would remove the new System version and Baseband.

4) Go into OTA Rootkeeper and “Temp-Unroot” then go into Settings> Privacy> and hit the FDR.

5) Go ahead and reapply your settings, and get your apps installed, once OTA Rootkeeper appears go ahead and Restore Root, if Root fails let apps continue to load. If Root has failed and once all apks have been updated and installed, go into the App drawer find the SU Hashmark app, hold down on it and Uninstall it. Once it has been removed go into Motochopper and reinstall Root. This will only work on System versions 9.16.6 and 9.16.9. Let device boot and go ahead and make sure SU is working.

6) Now that you have Root and have the Unlocked Bootloader, go into Settings> System update> and begin to download the OTA. But do not install, yet.

7) Once, OTA has downloaded go into OTA Snatcher and select the option to snatch the OTA. Pay attention to the location as the OTA is saved on the Internal Storage. In order to find the OTA which will be labeled "Blur_Version.9.16.6.XT926.Veizon.en.US" you need to have a file manager on your device, just find the file> then cut or copy the file and paste it on your External SD Card or SD1> do not place the file in a folder it should be located where the files such as “data”, “DCIM”, “LOST.DIR” are located.

8) You will need to stock recovery to precede this produces the most consistent results, if you are unsure of what Recovery you have it is most likely that you stock recovery.

9) Go ahead and go to your app drawer> find OTA Rootkeeper> select and “Temp Un-Root” save your SU Backup and go ahead to Settings> System update> select Install.
If all goes well, then your device will reboot and the new System version will 9.18.79 and the Baseband will be VANQUISH_BP_100730.160.15P.

If the OTA fails here is what you do.

10) Go ahead and Reboot> Power + Volume (-) down> as soon as the screen goes black hold Power + Volume (+) up> highlight the Recovery option and press Volume (+) up> at the dead android screen hold Volume (-) down and quickly press Volume (+) up. Now find the option to install update for external memory and press the Power button> this will open your sd card find the file "Blur_Version.9.16.6.XT926.Veizon.en.US" and press Power.

This may or may not work, but what is important is to get the error messages if it fails. Downloading the OTA through the System updates does not generate an error message, just mentions installations is aborted or install fails. Installation from the SD card, or Sideload, or ADB if there is something that fails then it is important to note what exactly fails, so it can be fixed or completely redone. Also, even if the update fails, still check your Settings> About phone> and what the System version and Baseband are. Sometimes the update will fail however it pushes enough information over to partial install or fully install the update with an installation failure.

Don’t forget to restore Root with OTA Rootkeeper when all is done, if it doesn’t work, let me know and I will post a Restore Root method for after OTA completes.

I finally got around to trying the install from the SD card. What I got was...

assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/build.prop", some sha hash#, a different sha hash #")
Installation aborted.

OP
C

chuckh1958

Reaction score
At some time I must have edited the /system/build.prop file and not saved the original somewhere. The hash check is failing and causing the update to fail. Does anyone have a copy of the stock build.prop file for a RAZR HD for version 9.16.6.XT926.Verizon.en.US? The first few lines of my file look like this...

# begin build properties
# autogenerated by buildinfo.sh
ro.build.id=9.8.1Q-62_VQW_MR-2
ro.build.display.id=9.8.1Q-62_VQW_MR-2
ro.build.version.incremental=6
ro.build.version.sdk=16
ro.build.version.codename=REL
ro.build.version.release=4.1.2
ro.build.date=Thu Feb 14 08:44:08 CST 2013
ro.build.date.utc=1360853048

OP
C

chuckh1958

Reaction score
Anyone?

If you dont know how to get to the /system/build.prop file, use ES File explorer, copy it to either /storage/sdcard0 or /storage/sdcard1. From there copy it to your PC and paste it into a reply.

TIA

Last edited: